The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

15 hours ago, DocRob said:

Might be my first venture into F1 since my twens, let's see...

I would have liked a Senna driven car, maybe a MP4/4, but couldn't score kit, details and decals as I liked.

It's weird with these markings Carl, in some of the extra detail sets from Beemax/Aoshima you get the tobacco sponsors logo as single letters. I bet there are millions of youth smokers, being drawn in to the smoke via 1/20 kit decals :D. Next thing will be banning logos of frauding banks or unreliable telecommunication companies.

Cheers Rob

Hi Rob

Will be following with great interest as my early F1 days seem to be re-igniting the old modeling juices as our home reno keeps me from the bench until we're done.  I've been collecting the Tamiya 1/12 F1 kits and so far have the Ferrari 312T and the Brabham BT44B and of course, they aren't in the same detail league as MFH kits but for the money and the joy of building, they are just fine. My though is to just enjoy the build, go with what is in the kit and on the older kit 321T, I will need to replace the decals. 

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

Hi Rob

Will be following with great interest as my early F1 days seem to be re-igniting the old modeling juices as our home reno keeps me from the bench until we're done.  I've been collecting the Tamiya 1/12 F1 kits and so far have the Ferrari 312T and the Brabham BT44B and of course, they aren't in the same detail league as MFH kits but for the money and the joy of building, they are just fine. My though is to just enjoy the build, go with what is in the kit and on the older kit 321T, I will need to replace the decals. 

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Peter, the oldest kit on my shelves of doom is the Tamiya 1/12 MP4/6. I started it back in 1993 when I was in Taiwan for university.

IMG_20220204_192736_01.thumb.jpg.f4a8a2b2df6dee8536c56d0563c29ab0.jpg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, DocRob said:

It's weird with these markings Carl, in some of the extra detail sets from Beemax/Aoshima you get the tobacco sponsors logo as single letters. I bet there are millions of youth smokers, being drawn in to the smoke via 1/20 kit decals :D. Next thing will be banning logos of frauding banks or unreliable telecommunication companies.

Sometimes these rules are a bit silly. 

My favourite for these alternate markings are the ones on the McLaren F1 GTR. Instead of saying "Have a Davidoff" which is a cigarette brand, they said "Have a Day off". Some font and size. 

Carl

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Bring 'em on Peter, definitely lovely kits. I will not spent the dough for a Hiro kit and will preferable build one or two Tamiya 1/12 F1 kits. Like you, I have the Brabham and I may add the Renault RE-20, which will be re-released by Tamiya this year.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Peter, the oldest kit on my shelves of doom is the Tamiya 1/12 MP4/6. I started it back in 1993 when I was in Taiwan for university.

IMG_20220204_192736_01.thumb.jpg.f4a8a2b2df6dee8536c56d0563c29ab0.jpg

Carl

She is a beauty and maybe when I get my Ferrari underway, you might find the erg to dive in. Right now, we're pretty much on hold with the reno for a good few more weeks, so I might crack open the box and start cutting and gluing plastic - it's been a long time and I hope I haven't forgotten how.

Keep 'em comin

Peter 

• Like 2

Picked up some paint yesterday while on my way to meet a friend for lunch. 

PXL_20220210_204555448_MP.thumb.jpg.950fcd7fb1c5b56f2ecdb9ad922cdc3b.jpg

Tru Color is a nice paint if a bit on the smelly side. 

PXL_20220210_204632255.thumb.jpg.c6195d492d63beb532364e2ef1cc7e04.jpg

The Mr Color silver is called Previous silver so call me intrigued. 

The dry brush paints are an interesting idea as well. Going to have to see how those work. 

Carl

• Like 6

23 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Picked up some paint yesterday while on my way to meet a friend for lunch. 

PXL_20220210_204555448_MP.thumb.jpg.950fcd7fb1c5b56f2ecdb9ad922cdc3b.jpg

Tru Color is a nice paint if a bit on the smelly side. 

PXL_20220210_204632255.thumb.jpg.c6195d492d63beb532364e2ef1cc7e04.jpg

The Mr Color silver is called Previous silver so call me intrigued. 

The dry brush paints are an interesting idea as well. Going to have to see how those work. 

Carl

Only tried the Ammo dry brush paint once Carl but it worked well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

I hate evil bay……….trying to build the stash albeit as prudently as possible, so lost three kits today all in the last 5 seconds even though all them had zero bids until I placed mine with a half an hour to go…….I give up……

I am not using eBay that much now, mostly because my stash is more than built-up ☺️, but because international shipping costs have made the whole affait less interesting.

This said, when I am bidding on an item I want, I just enter the highest price I am willing to pay, at any time in the auction, and then just let it run its course. Ebay will automatically display a higher bid until your maximum if someone else is proposing a higher price than the one currently displayed. And the first one to have proposed the same bid will win, btw. To avoid the smart a&#es that bid in the last second, I avoid bidding a round amount, and will bid with a price ending in .01, or .51 or .76, etc.

If you loose to a last-minute bidding war, then, with this system, so be it. You went as far as you were ready to go. This said, I have sometimes realized I wanted an item more than I initially thought, and then placed a second, higher bid. When the max of my first bid is reached, eBay then switches to the next one.

Hubert

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Hubert, tried all of those tricks and tips, I do like your great idea of the odd £24.17 that’s a brilliant idea. I’ll give it one more go, then they can go where the sun doesn’t shine……..

Had a colleague try that when he bought his condo. He found himself in a bidding war with several other potential buyers. The selling agent said all the bids were within a couple thousand of each other so ask them all to bring their best offer forward. He won by $1 as everyone else was bidding by the thousand. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Got an order in from Hannants this evening. 

Mostly stuff for kits already in the stash. 

Nice haul Carl, I helped myself to that Arado 196 canopy too. The sight of the multiple kit clear parts with delicate framing scared me a bit.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I know that, at some point, I'm likely to get lynched for not starting a build thread with all the Kursk gear I've been building up - I have to say that it can't be helped ... I haven't really had the time to relax and do a lot of build work ... mostly because I'm catching up with other, long overdue, chores or looking for my next job.

I HAVE, however, had time to hunt around for some more gear to add to the collection ... 

As I am inclined to do, with the sort of purchases I make, I build up a few "rewards" points with a variety of local (meaning Australian) outlets ... and along with some sort of periodical sale late last year, it netted me this:

DekZoy2.jpg

Sometime late last year a couple of things happened at around the same time ... I saw the latest movie about The Battle Of Midway and Infinity model advised that it was going to be releasing 32 scale Val's and Kate's this year ... that definitely got the creative ideas flowing for Pacific war subjects ... so I snagged these around Christmas time from one of my main suppliers ...

UsYV8Cx.jpg

GYuVTin.jpg

Apparently the Avenger will need some small modifying to turn it into the correct variant for Midway - have a really nice example of a build bookmarked for this purpose - though no build thread :( ... and the SBD will need some small decal adjustment for Best's kite ... Thach's Wildcat will happen curtesy of this kit which I had to go to a previously unused suppler for ... 

Vl73x2U.jpg

- eventually - as I ordered special decals from an AM supplier in the US ... which were promptly returned to the sender by USPS! Not all that happy with the moron either, who - 1/ instead of asking if I'd like the refund first (as opposed to waiting for restrictions to ease - and reattempting postage) - 2/ refunded me the amount - less fees which, along with the currency transfer, incurred me a loss ... and then 3/ blamed MY COUNTRY for HIS COUNTRY'S shipping restrictions!! (insert some VERY profane words here!!) 🤬

*** IF anyone knows where I can get some 32 scale Decals (or masks) for Thach's markings OUTSIDE the USA ... please give me a heads up - TIA ***

To "bulk out" the order for the free shipping ... I grabbed some Grenadier figures to use - because you can never have too many different poses :)

1dQ8nWZ.jpg

KUxnLy1.jpg

At around the same time I used some more reward points to pre-purchase this monster ... The Das Werk 1/16 StuG ... Because the PzKpfwIII chassis is my favourite :) ... It just arrived at the post office yesterday ...

U5UHMsA.jpg

It also gave a profile that I'll put to use for my TAKOM 35 scale StuG ...

mjpACAt.jpg?1

While I was looking around to source the new Great Wall Hobby P.40 ... I ended up reading a little about the Ki.43 Hayabusa ... Although completely different, it used the same philosophy in design and was commonly referred to as the "army Zero" ... looking around online for one proved to be a bit of a headache though, as it seems Hasegawa is rolling back production on 32 scale AC models. This prompted another splurge in buying ... Particularly Hasegawa Kits!! ... but also others ...

This order, from a local supplier, arrived yesterday also ...

I wanted the StuH.42 for the Kursk gear and also, maybe, I may have use for the Marder.I ... The Hasegawa George happened to be in stock along with a couple of sets of Master's phenomenal turned brass ...

HjuNJDk.jpg

6bHPvBQ.jpg

UNR8rNE.jpg

1riF2nf.jpg

There is another order from a local supplier that is stuck in the traffic jam due to train line damage that recent el-weirdo weather conditions caused. So that one will be posted here once it arrives ...

Meanwhile I got busy internationally :) ... Ordering kits out of Japan or Hong Kong (from local manufacturers in the region) is usually much cheaper that buying them here ... there's a catch though (isn't there always??) ... Shipping is prohibitively expensive IF you are only buying the one kit!

If you are buying in bulk, however ... shipping is a boon! ... the shipping cost per item decreases exponentially ... most times ... Apparently Japan has followed the USA's example of "banning" certain countries ... although there ARE workarounds with certain global couriers.

I've got a couple of orders still inbound from Hong Kong along with the delayed package ex-east coast ... but this one arrived from Plaza Japan today ...

SzEIHwo.jpg

With a little "thank you" note and gift :)

EuAzcr5.jpg

... And a few Hasegawa Kits ...

zLqxk9J.jpg

CyKZDyU.jpg

vgnqanp.jpg

Along with this re-release of an old kit that fascinated me when I first saw it a couple of years back ...

ll7S36l.jpg

Thats all for now ... more to post later

Rog :)

• Like 9

Well i've just bought the most expensive model item i've had (apart from airbrush). 

Pastor John totally out of the blue, very kindly made me an AIMS 1/32 Ju88 G6 conversion because he knew i was after one for ages and was gutted to hear him closing down his business. He is one very kind and considerate person.

So as we speak it is winging it's way across Europe to Scotland. One very VERY chuffed modeller right here i'll tell ya!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Most of the rest of my orders arrived at the post office today ...

I was excited for one kit in particular ... but very soon deflated after opening the box it was packaged in ... :(

5 kits ordered out of Hong Kong ... and because of shipping restrictions all had to be packaged separately ... The package previously stuck in traffic also arrived ...

49f6l4R.jpg

Tamiya kits are becoming almost prohibitively expensive here now ... so a bulk buy out of Hong Kong was the go ... even with Shipping costs and currency conversion fees added, I paid approximately $40 AUD LESS per kit than here in Australia ... The 1st 3 kits arrived undamaged ...

27PwfS9.jpg

JQFzXYG.jpg

CsduHtu.jpg

The Corsair packaging suffered a minor compression ... as can be seen in the top LH corner ...

YmApbdt.jpg

But the kit that I was really looking forward to was compressed pretty badly :( damaging some of the packaging inside ...

HOyHxZe.jpg

8QQQO2m.jpg?1

p343Ek1.jpg

x4PkYDi.jpg

EZZrQtV.jpg

I've written them a complaint - after all - if this was a trade item or a gift for someone, the value has just dropped through the floor - not impressed!!

The delayed package ex-east carried the last 32 scale Hasegawa kit they had in stock ...

jeyhOwS.jpg

While - to fill out the order and get free shipping - I grabbed these 2 kits ...

Link and length tracks are provided for this New Tool Tamiya 38(t) ... thereby removing one of the only real flaws in Tamiya 35 scale kits as an option.

Detail is wonderful and the addition of a figure is always welcome.

L29UHnz.jpg

Dragons latest effort ... A joint venture with a Japanese company Mono to provide Japanese instructions in a rebooted Dragon tooling - a long sought after kit for me ... a Marder III Ausf.H ... The kit contents include 3d printed resin grills, photo etch, metal gun barrel as well as a DS cast tarpaulin cover AND Magic Track :D

JtRrame.jpg

Cheers

Rog :)

• Like 7