Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Rob

Holy Cow what a build and you surely didn't hold anything back on your re-entry in modeling. No question you advanced all the troops, and the Corsair looks fantastic. 

It took me quite a while to embrace digital photography as basically a film shooter from the mid fifties finding a new home with digital.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From Tower Hobbies  two items today;

First Tamiya's potent Airbrush Cleaner this is an extremely strong solvent

that smells ,suspiciously, like their  extra thin cement. It works very well and quickly

to remove paint from airbrushes and paint brushes. I use a glass eye-dropper  to put

A small amount in the cup of my airbrush, scrub with a large soft bristle paint brush, then

spray the rest out of the airbrush. Simple and quick. Makes color changes easy.

Most of the time disassembly of the airbrush isn't needed. Anyway, be careful, it will

mess up plastic, and painted surfaces. Of course, make sure to use proper ventilation

when spraying this stuff. I keep two bottles one for brushes, the other for airbrush use.

I also got a small, photo-etch circle template set from Tamiya (74150).

It has hole sizes from 1 to 12.5 mm. Might be useful.

DSCN0721_kindlephoto-8889278.jpg

DSCN0723_kindlephoto-8818049.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, belugawhaleman said:

that smells ,suspiciously, like their  extra thin cement. It works very well and quickly

to remove paint from airbrushes and paint brushes. I use a glass eye-dropper  to put

A small amount in the cup of my airbrush, scrub with a large soft bristle paint brush, then

spray the rest out of the airbrush. Simple and quick. Makes color changes easy.

Most of the time disassembly of the airbrush isn't needed. Anyway, be careful, it will

mess up plastic, and painted surfaces. Of course, make sure to use proper ventilation

when spraying this stuff. I keep two bottles one for brushes, the other for airbrush use.

I also got a small, photo-etch circle template set from Tamiya (74150).

It has hole sizes from 1 to 12.5 mm. Might be useful.

DSCN0721_kindlephoto-8889278.jpg

DSCN0723_kindlephoto-8818049.jpg

I have a similar template set from Hasegawa and it's great for painting AFV wheels

• Like 2

1 hour ago, belugawhaleman said:

that smells ,suspiciously, like their  extra thin cement. It works very well and quicklyto remove paint from airbrushes and paint brushes.

Many have discovered that it is the same formulation as extra thin and have begun to use it as such.

• Like 4

Rob

Holy Cow what a build and you surely didn't hold anything back on your re-entry in modeling. No question you advanced all the troops, and the Corsair looks fantastic. 

It took me quite a while to embrace digital photography as basically a film shooter from the mid fifties finding a new home with digital.

Two more items today:

First, coming from Sprue Brothers, came a model by Tiger Models. A kit I've been

looking for some time of a subject I've been wanting to build. It's their Panhard AML-90 in

1/35 (4635). Both Takom and Tiger Models kits were always out of stock. The kit, while

very small, looks pretty impressive. It looks well-molded, has a complete interior, engine,

a choice of rubber or styrene tires, metal gun barrels,  the suspension features metal

coil springs, and there's some photo-etch. Everything is packaged separately in very Tamiya-like, stapled soft plastic bags. Pretty cool model kit......but small.. Very small.

Also today, another barrel by ABER. Their 152.4mm tank barrel M-10S for Soviet KV-2.

for the Tamiya kV-2 I got last week. I'm still waiting for a couple of kits from overseas;

Brummbar and a Hetzer. Probably no more kits for at least a while......unless, well, nevermind.

DSCN0724_kindlephoto-5051274.jpg

DSCN0725_kindlephoto-5121577.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_220828_160308252-644x483.jpg

• Like 6

I built the Tiger AMX armoured car a while back and found it  very much like a Tamiya kit. Even the way the instructions were drawn reminded me of one. If the AML is anything like that, it'll go together nicely. 

Tiger Models also do several of those "cute" plane kits. They're not ovoid enough to be egg planes.

Carl

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I built the Tiger AMX armoured car a while back and found it  very much like a Tamiya kit. Even the way the instructions were drawn reminded me of one. If the AML is anything like that, it'll go together nicely. 

Tiger Models also do several of those "cute" plane kits. They're not ovoid enough to be egg planes.

Carl

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with their kits and will likely buy another.

• Like 4

During one of  @JohnB's WIP, I mentioned if I ever found decals/masks for the CT-133 Mako shark, I'd suffer through  another one. 

Me and my big mouth :rolleyes:...

PXL_20220829_163801185.thumb.jpg.03179cf5f151150b7dad03a2c24d24cc.jpg

PXL_20220829_163820303.thumb.jpg.507b6f30d921037020ca1df64e5d8696.jpg

Guess I need to find a kit now. Anyone got one they'd want to inflict on me? 

As for the decals, Canmilair closed up a little while back but it looks like they sold their catalogue to Above & Below. So if you're looking for things Canadian, it may be worth checking out. I haven't used them yet so can't say how well they work. 

Carl

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

It came! My kit from Hobbylink Japan.

Another Tamiya kit.

This time their Sd.Kfz.166 Sturmpanzer IV Brummbar Spate Produktion (35353).

I'm pleased with HLJ shipping was very quick....I ordered it last week!.

Anyway, I've been looking for this kit for a while .. Fortunately, this kit offers a 1945

dated decal option , so I don't have to do zimmerit. Although Tamiya has a set of

Zimmerit for this kit that you can apply. I don't know how this works. Are they decals

or stickers? Has anyone tried the Tamiya zimmerit sets?. Anyway, I'm looking forward

to building this odd-looking assault gun. By the way,apparently the name Brummbar

was not used by the Germans....it was a name given to it by allied intelligence.

DSCN0729_kindlephoto-23694836.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Mail call...

DSCN2869-1.jpg

Happy birthday to me!

Now I just have to figure out. Do I...

• Get the two seater conversion set
  • Make a skeletal version
  • Spring for the woodgrain decals

Choices, choices...

It's a nice kit. I'd skip the two seat conversion. The quality doesn't match the rest of the kit. I've got one here somewhere and I think @harv  has one too that are not the best even after they replaced his. 

Carl 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Now I just have to figure out. Do I...

• Get the two seater conversion set
  • Make a skeletal version
  • Spring for the woodgrain decals

Choices, choices...

Happy birthday Bill, I have this kit in stash since years and I'm eager to build it soon. I had it on the bench sometimes but got away through other projects. I skipped the first two questions, but I still have a wood / metal or museum version in my mind. Decisions, decisions...

Cheers Rob

• Like 6