The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Group Builds

Mikester

• Members

OK folks,  The last few tries at group builds have been dismal failures.  I like the GB concept and I think they can be a lot of fun.  What can we do to encourage participation and encourage people to finish their kits?  Prizes?  Huge sums of cash? Exotic dancers? :D

Please throw anything out there, I'd like to do one in the near future.  We had some great group builds in the early days of LSM, would love to run another successful one.

• Like 3

If the Exotic Dancers could somehow do the "Monkey" while shaking paint bottles in both hands, and also with Rivet wheels attached to their shoes like spurs... that would also help!

But in all seriousness; as always with me, simple lack of time is the major impediment. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Mike, for me at least, in the past, GBs ended up being anticlimactic.  We’d be all kinds of excited and in the end,.. nothing.

I’ve really only had fun on one GB, and that was the Vietnam GB on LSP. I’ve never done one here, but over there, GBs just seem to end with no real hoopla. Big fanfare to start, and ho hum in the end.  Maybe some judging or drawing at the end for all who finish to receive a prize?  I mentioned that on The Other Site (TOS) and it was blown off as silly and wasteful. 

I think that if a popular theme with some cool ending prize is offered, (I’d even offer up a kit or two as prizes to get it all started) it’ll not only get good participation, but probably even drive traffic to the site.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Due to limited benchtime I have never done a GB. 32nd for me as GB would be a tad unwise. But, AFV or 48th I reckon I could throw my hat in the ring.......

Phil.

Not sure how y’all run a GB here with targets having a sub forum all their own, but say, if we did Eastern Front, I’d think moving ground targets would be included?

• Like 3

Ernie hit it right on the head: GB always have a great start and then the enthusiasm dies away. One problem is that if you aren't ready to start the GB at the beginning for what ever reason and starting after the bell, no one seems to know you are actually in it.

For me, I've strated a few GB's and my ability to cross the line has been horrendous. I've also tended to not participate, as I actually have a yearly build plan and almost never does my planning seem to line up with GB's. A good example is I'm hoping to attend both the 2019 Mosquitocon in April and I've still got a shot at going to Chattanooga. I've pretty much decided what I am hoping to build and odds are those choices wouldn't work with a GB. 

I do have an idea: why not make our first GB very broad: A Contest Bound Build.

Just my two cents worth. :2c:

Peter

• Like 2

Have started a couple but never finished. With me, one year is a stretch. But this idea looks promising. Of course I would have to finish the 25. A contest build would be my 2 seat mystery HO229. I would like to finish it for Nooga.......Harv

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've taken part in, and enjoyed several GBs when I was predominantly modelling in 1/48th scale on Britmodeller. There was usually a poll at the end to determine a winner, sometimes with a prize donated by a sponsor which I guess acts as an incentive to complete the build. A "contest bound" GB is a great idea, wide enough to interest most.

Max 

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I thought I was a close follower of LSM, but something must have escaped my eyesight. I cannot open my own threads made in the Group build section. The threads are still searchable, but i don't have the right to open them.

image.thumb.png.aa039c6874fe09fcd8c6e61597651569.png

The GB-Section is not anymore on the LSM-Homepage

What happened?

Cheers Rob

• Members
On 9/13/2018 at 5:00 AM, DocRob said:

Hi Guys,

I thought I was a close follower of LSM, but something must have escaped my eyesight. I cannot open my own threads made in the Group build section. The threads are still searchable, but i don't have the right to open them.

image.thumb.png.aa039c6874fe09fcd8c6e61597651569.png

The GB-Section is not anymore on the LSM-Homepage

What happened?

Cheers Rob

The last board upgrade had a few hiccups, we'll look into this.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One that we ran on brexitmodeller was an eduard weekend in a weekend group build that we ran over Xmas last year. Eduard donated prizes and it was a quick wham bam thing over the Xmas fortnight. If was a  success because: 

A, it was short

B, it had prizes 

If I were to suggest one here I would perhaps look at an OOB build that could be done quite quickly before enthusiasm dies down. We tried a 100 years of RAF  starting on april 1st finishing on 15th sept for obvious reasons that petered out quickly because it was just too long. 

So thats my two pemneth. 

By the way you can build an eduard weekend kit quite successfully in 48 hours