The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Primers

Bomber_County

Just putting the final touches to the shopping list for Telford.

The question are the Vallejo primers any good. I’ve read mixed reports. I am predominately using Vallejo model Air and Color these days and usually put them on a base of the traditional car accessory rattle can primers. 

Be interested in any opinions.

• Like 2

Hi Phil, I used Vallejo on different occasions and in different Colours (black, white and red-brown) and have to say that I'm not very impressed with the way they behave. The finish looks smooth, but adherence is not overall trustworthy, specially with mixed materials like PE or resin.
After lots of tries I abandoned the idea of using acrylic primers on my builds. Priming to me is one of the most important steps in painting models and if the primer fails to adhere, the whole paintjob will be in trouble. Working with sticky masks, using different chemicals for painting, weathering, chipping and coating cries for a solid primed model and I don't want to have the thought in the back of my head, that with a late mask to peel of, I might ruin the whole work done.

for me the primer of choice is Tamiya rattle can stuff. Yeah, it's expensive, but it adheres well, sprays fine (with some training) and you don't have to clean the airbrush ;)

I can only repeat myself here, a primer that doesn't stink is no good for the job, just my two cents :stirthepot:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Thanks Rob for an honest answer. I have the Tamiya fine surface primer in white and and grey, do they do black?

I’d actually forgot I had them in the back of the bench cabinets. I must admit if doesn’t taste or smell bad it’s probably not going to work..........

• Like 2

+1 for Tamiya rattle can primers, which can be decanted for airbrushing if need be.

I have never seen a black one, and don’t believe there is any, but, on the other hand there is a pink one which is great under red or yellow paint ...

Hubert

PS: in all honesty, though, I have not (yet) tried other brands of primer. My output is just too low for that ...

• Like 3

When I use a primer, I use Tamiya as well but from the jar. They sell it in the same square bottles that their cement comes in so there's no need to decant their cans. 

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87096surface/index.htm

It also comes in grey.

Some folks use Mr Surfacer 1200 as a primer and that comes in several colours including black. 

Carl

• Like 3

I'll go with TJTX. I use the Mr Surfacer 1500 black thinned with their Levelling Thinner and you get a great finish although it does stink. I'm always masked up but my wife is never too happy if the smell percolates through any other parts of the house. Hence I tend to prime when I know she'll be gone for a good while!

• Like 3

My exclusive primers are the Tamiya rattle can options. Current favourite is the Oxide Red colour they introduced recently for German Armour subjects. It's hard-wearing and as I always use it outdoors; it's easy to check coverage in less than ideal lighting conditions, as most plastics and resins these days are themselves often a shade of grey.

20181021_085003.thumb.jpg.74c9750ccbd6551f2c739adbaaa7f8f2.jpg

• Like 3

With my last build, a Bf110E I decided to use a black primer, I had a MIG one that I bought some time ago and was very pleasantly surprised how good it was, sprayed well, levelled nicely and dried quickly. The only slight downside is the thorough cleaning needed for the airbrush afterwards. Go to primer though is Tamiya rattlecan.

Max 

• Like 4

On 10/20/2018 at 3:37 PM, [CAT]CplSlade said:

I started using Badger's Stynylrez, which comes in several colors. So far I have been pretty happy with it. It is an acrylic, and doesn't smell. I switched to it when it became difficult for me to get Mr Surfacer without having to order it online.

I agree, I tried Vallejo (crap), mr surfacer, Tamiya, but Badger Stynilrez is the best primer i EVER used, it fixes itself even when you screw up and flood an area, it always self levels, does not need any thinning, retarders, etc. The stuff sticks to anything! even unwashed resin. I have a dozen colors of it, i have already gone through an entire bottle of black and white in the past year. The only bad thing about it, it will not survive freezing, so you can keep it in unheated garages, sheds, etc. And you want to buy it when the weather is warm, i have heard of people ordering it during the winter and it coming to them clumpy. Once it dries, it is bulletproof, but can still be removed with alcohol, just like any other acrylic. I have NEVER had any tape lift using this. I have heard horror stories about Vallejo primer, 

I had mr surfacer recently flake off of resin, I had to sand it before it would stick. My second choice is Tamiya rattle can primer, although expensive and inefficient, it works great for very large items, like 1/43 millenium falcons, or 1/350 ships.

• Like 1

I bought the sample pack of black, gray, and white to try after hearing others talk it up and was pleased with the results. Mostly used black as I have been doing consecutive armor builds for another web site but I have sprayed a Hasegawa Oscar to see how my aluminums will look over it.

• Like 1

Conversely, I always wash everything, resin or plastic. A good scrubbing with an old toothbrush in warm water and detergent. Others use a mild bleach solution for removing resin mould release agents, but I've rarely had that issue and usually Metholated spirits works for me. Then out in the Sun under an old Margarine container to dry off.

We have Cocker Spaniels, and they shed like Billy-o even with regular trimming and brushing, especially in the hotter months.