The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F4U-1D Corsair: Update: 2/1019

THE CORSAIR

UPDATE:11/24/18: FUSELAGE & THE BIG P&W

Creeping along a a snails pace, I finally finished enough work to post a long overdue update. The front office was finished, adding all the remaining details as per the kits instructions as well the rear interior of the fuselage for the tailwheel assembly. My apologies for not taking a few photos of the finished cockpit but I was on a role and plain old forgot. The fuselage was buttoned up, the firewall and exhausts were painted and added, as well as the remaining exterior parts specific for the '1D' were added.

On to the BIG P&W Radial. Tamiya's representation is outstanding, excellent fit and sure looked mighty good. A lot of time was devoted to painting the individual parts; both by air brush and by brush. I stayed the course and followed the instructions' painting guide for the most part but went my own way for the the cylinders, which were air brushed with Mr Metal Color Stainless as it looked so good and then following up with two light pin washes of Tamiya Black Panel Line Wash to pop the details and bring out the metallic look.

I decided to wire up the P&W Radial and it was an adventure to say the least. Tons of time and a modest amount of frustration and thank goodness the wiring was done. I worked from a few photos to get close to the ignition order sequence and repeated the pattern for each cylinder. When done, the leads were painted a brownish color, looking close to the photos and surely good enough for me.

The crankcase was built up as per the introductions and following the painting guide, I used Tamiya XF66 Gray: close but way too flat. A few light coats of Alcad Semi Matt darkened the gray nicely and added the missing metallic feel. A black pin wash was used on the crankcase to pick out some of the details.

Test fitting the engine to the fuselage went well and the fit looks good. Everything from the firewall forward is just being test fitted and nothing is actually glued into place – that's how tight Tamiya's part fit is and it's very important to remove the paint from parts surfaces that will glued or there will be trouble in paradise a bit down the road. I'll weather up the exhausts after the Corsair is painted, which seems to be the easiest way to go and how I went about it on my Corsair Birdcage build. The tailplanes are just being test fitted as well and so far: you just can't beat Tamiya for fit, detail and the joy of building.

Up next. The center wing section and gear.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

CqkAvB.jpg

qvE7s6.jpg

Qzs674.jpg

4Bvbaa.jpg

KRKLhh.jpg

uoOI8V.jpg

nelAfU.jpg

• Like 7