The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Pzkfw. IVH, 6. Kompanie, II/SS Panzer Regiment 12, "618" (1/35 Academy)

• Members

OK, this one I'll be starting from the beginning on! :lol: This is the new tool Academy Pz. IVH, looks like a nice kit and most of the reviews of I've read have been favorable.

acadamy mk4.jpg

I'll probably pick up a metal barrel for it and a couple of minor things but I don't think it will need a whole lot of add-ons.  I'll be doing this vehicle, "Panzers in the Bocage" identifies it as a "J" model but other sources says an "H" so "H" it is for my purposes:

618.png

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Yup, this was pretty much a swan song for the whole unit. Das Reich was on it's knees by September 44. They did some terrible stuff in the process.

1024px-Village_martyr_d'Oradour-sur-Glan

What gets me is, and this is never spoken about  is................... who cleaned up the mess? This, although hammered to not much, is cleaned up... where did all the rubble and stuff go, and who did the cleaning? All the battlefields too......

• Like 3

Everyone remembers Ouradour but they murdered 99 the day before in Tulle as well, hung from the lampposts. Worst part was very few ever stood trial for it and the sentences were generally a joke. Can heartily recommend Max Hasting's book about it as it gives the full context.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Jeff said:

What gets me is, and this is never spoken about  is................... who cleaned up the mess? This, although hammered to not much, is cleaned up... where did all the rubble and stuff go, and who did the cleaning? All the battlefields too......

It's probably like the Notre Dame restoration...

Crowd funded.

BTW... Good choice of kit Mike!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Jeff said:

The survivors clean it up, Jeff.  Anything useful gets recycled.  The government will step in, but it's also a lot of citizens doing their civic duty.  Some battlefields stay littered for a long time.  I know during the 70's, there were still wrecks littered about the Libyan desert.  Remember Princess Diana and her crusade to clear up landmines?  It's usually just ppl who jump in and do what needs to be done.

Gaz

• Like 4

On 5/28/2019 at 12:36 PM, Clunkmeister said:

I keep looking at those rough hand painted crosses and numbers over the Zimmerit. And we are always so precise....

Despite what was done on the HJ panzers, much of the time stencils were used with a stipple brush.  No over-spray there.

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:27 PM, Jeff said:

In Berlin they formed a mountain out of the rubble after the war. It is by far the highest elevation in the old West Berlin. It now is a recreational area in the middle of a forest, used by Mountainbikers, kite nerds and even paragliders. The elevated position made it the perfect spot for an American monitoring station during the cold war. There is quite some history behind that rubble.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teufelsberg

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

In Berlin they formed a mountain out of the rubble after the war. It is by far the highest elevation in the old West Berlin. It now is a recreational area in the middle of a forest, used by Mountainbikers, kite nerds and even paragliders. The elevated position made it the perfect spot for an American monitoring station during the cold war. There is quite some history behind that rubble.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teufelsberg

Cheers Rob

That's really interesting, I wonder what treasures got buried along with the rubble............. we may never know... thanks Rob, that was a good read...

• Like 3

• Members

Didn't feel like sequestering myself in the garage today so I figured it would be a good time to start on this one.  Set up shop on the kitchen table since assembly is usually not too messy.  Made same good progress although can't help but thinking if I'd had the same time allotted to a Tamiya kit I'd be ready for paint!  This kit is more reminiscent of Dragon than Tamiya.  Lots of small sub-assemblies to put together, it's obvious that they intend to get multiple variants out of this kit which can make things a little fiddly.  My biggest gripe is the instructions don't give you any warning when something needs to be drilled out to mount another part.  I already missed a couple that will cause some minor inconvenience down the road,  If there's any part with recessed holes on the back side, you have to scan ahead in the instructions to see if anything needs to be mounted to it down the road.  Kind of a pain in the arse!  On the plus side the fit is really good and the detail is nice.

IMG_1115.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

IMG_1117.JPG

IMG_1118.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Got the hull finished up, getting all the tools and such positioned without the locating holes/pins was a little bit of a challenge but got through it without too much drama.

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

• Like 3

• Members
5 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Looking polished Mike, the IV has an interesting suspension setup.....

It certainly show it's 1930's heritage.  Really a throwback compared to the Panther's sloped armor and sleek lines.

• Like 2