The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

RSO Radschlepper Ost - Having a Break

Nice Rob, the 'Smoke of Scotland' is one of the nicer whisky cocktails. It definitely needs a 'heavy' Highland malt like the Lagavulin, just don't think it would work with something light like a Speyside Balvenie.

The rust primer looks cool as well!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, GusMac said:

Nice Rob, the 'Smoke of Scotland' is one of the nicer whisky cocktails.

It's the only malt based whisky based cocktail I prepare and yes, Lagavulin is the go to dram for it, as in 'Smoke' ;). I tried different Islays, but Lagavulin is the best, not too medicinal but lots of peat and the richness of 16 years of time to get there.

10 hours ago, GusMac said:

The rust primer looks cool as well!

I think about hairspray, if the primer is adhering well enough, sigh, I miss my trusty Tamiya stuff :unsure:.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 2

Day is grey, night is black and white,

like they say in the old ad, the RSO got it's first coat of Lifecolour Panzergrau. Everytime I use Lifecolour products I'm amazed how well they spray, very fine, no clogging and with very fine grain.
At the moment I do some testing with Mr. Leveling thinner (after Ernies praises) and Lifecolour doesn't mix well with the stuff, it gets thick and unusable. With Tamiya thinner there are no such problems and there is no need for retarding effects, because clogging is not an issue.

The Panzergrau will get some coats of lighter shades and some treatment to enhance the volume and used effects, but this will happen after assembling the major components. 

To distract myself from the dull Panzergrau :icon_eek:, the engine and the leather cabin furniture got a coat of semi gloss black that will be a base for weathering and in the case of the leather, some creaking effects.

Cheers Rob

P1150123.thumb.JPG.89037402bfcb3bdd1c82b0685c93d985.JPG

P1150124.thumb.JPG.cde18e55ecf23676f14eae03412b3b2b.JPG

P1150125.thumb.JPG.3670b2954279d0d379be261b0a71dafe.JPG

P1150127.thumb.JPG.2a12155d740d5a2ee1b56947905f3e87.JPG

P1150134.thumb.JPG.275b9329c0821befe2005477f51c9532.JPG

P1150136.thumb.JPG.1e326014a0fb76a88273401d40994d8e.JPG 

• Like 7

Muchas Gracias Senhores,

6 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

I am not very good at camo so not looking forward to doing my Tiger.......

Go for it, have fun, the key is preparation, specially the Colours have to be thinned to a non clogging grade for freehand action with predictable results.

5 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Great progress Rob and it's looking very nice. 

Hehe, until now it's only grey, but I hope I will bring it to live with some volume effects and highlighting.
The next step is painting the leather bench for the cabin. I might experiment with cigarette paper for a crackled effect.

22 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Great preparation is really paying dividends here.

I hope my grey base is a good canvas for further weathering. My dio will represent a scene in June, so dust will be the key.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

Next on my RSO schedule was the interior and I wanted to try something new. The leather bench painted in Tamiya semi gloss black looked way too new, so I decided to do something good for the health of my part time smoking wife and took some of her cigarettes, got rid of the tabacco and crumpled the paper. Then I applied some white glue-water mix to the bench and backrest and applied the paper.

P1150138.thumb.JPG.b69625aa2ae09a99e520217713c95dd1.JPG

After that I dabbed some Tamiya earth brown onto the still a little wet cigarette paper as a background for the crackles. Looks ugly, but that was what I was expecting and the rib structure of the paper pays off.

P1150145.thumb.JPG.3200da3b45500df90a2656f225989fed.JPG  

After everything was dried, I applied first some semi gloss black with a near dry old stiff brush carefully only stroking in one direction. After doing that several times, I changed to flat black and continued. While stroking I emphasized the places, where the crew must have left the most wear with the fewest color and added a little volume. The effect was a bit to glossy for my liking, so I mixed some drops of future with Tamiya flat base and applied again nearly drybrushing. A little shine should be left, like worn old leather develops.

I like the result and the bench looks much more realistic and textured that way and sports the wanted crackled effect. 

P1150151.thumb.JPG.f30ce3f855e11e746c13a02bf63bfd77.JPG

The interior with all it's levers got some treatment first with Uschis steel pigments, some yellow penciling and MIG's European dust pigments and some tiny drops of AK's engine oil to the bases of the levers and tiny random drops, applied with a toothpick.

P1150142.thumb.JPG.69c3f9d6fb943097c4ed6ecdcda01729.JPG

Bad pic here, but Panzergrau against white background is hard to meter. I added some steel pigments to enhance screwheads, nuts and bolts and the suspension and added the exhaust which was given my trusty treatment of base color with different tones of acrylic rust paint and then different tones of rust pigments dabbed into the half dried acrylics. That is done with the Lifecolour rust set, which is perfect for the task, containing both, colors and pigments.

As a last step, to get a little metal sheen, I apply a little steel pigment with a dry brush, just enough to get a slight metal look, which joins the different grades of corrosion.   

P1150147.thumb.JPG.887abbc3605db0101de002c8fde0320f.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 7

This is great progress Rob...

It's these little details and techniques that give your built that something extra.

4 hours ago, DocRob said:

Bad pic here, but Panzergrau against white background is hard to meter.

I found this as well, and so chose black craft paper as my background as it helps make the subject stand out a little better. But I still struggle with Macro and focus issues as I'm only using a Cell Phone... Your exhaust is a little out of focus here, but still gives a good feel.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Wumm said:

It's these little details and techniques that give your built that something extra.

Thank you, this is an out oob build, the kit is very good and there is no real need for AM, but with all my builds I try to learn something new and in this case it was the leather effect and it will be to give a little live to a dull Panzergrau by adding tonal volume in a later stage and of course the placement of figures in a hopefully eye catching way. 

4 hours ago, Wumm said:

I found this as well, and so chose black craft paper as my background as it helps make the subject stand out a little better. But I still struggle with Macro and focus issues as I'm only using a Cell Phone... Your exhaust is a little out of focus here, but still gives a good feel.

I toyed with both, black and white background and both have their pros and cons. In this case the contrast between Panzergrau and white is enormous and metering with the camera is a difficult task. In other areas than modelling I call myself a decent photographer, but to get used to harsh artifical light and a heavy dose of macro, with the need of a good depth of field still gives me the creeps. I use a good micro 4/3 camera and have a wide range of prime lenses. I don't use zooms anymore because of their optical limitations, but I'm always amazed, how good many of the Cell Phone pics are, without the fuzz of manual metering and adjusting.

To me modelling photography is the most challenging field and I tried a lot of other very experimental ways to take photos like available light and art photography over the years. I try to learn from the masters and there are some in our little corner of the net.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

Don't you just love it when a vision comes together?? Excellent technique Rob.... I will try and use that as well....

Thanks Jeff, it's always nice, when a vague idea transforms into the desired result. That is an important part of modelling to me, to constantly learn new things and take challenges, some bigger or some smaller like that leather bench and I have to admit, that the pure plastic gluing building process of a kit sometimes annoys me. Painting, weathering and finishing is the pleasure part to me.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

On 7/4/2019 at 12:40 AM, DocRob said:

To me modelling photography is the most challenging field and I tried a lot of other very experimental ways to take photos like available light and art photography over the years. I try to learn from the masters and there are

Love your trick with paper. I hear what you say about photography, I’ve finished a Male IV tank but can I get any decent shots to post........it’s really frustrating as I am quite pleased with the finished model........

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Love your trick with paper. I hear what you say about photography

Thanks Phil, it's not easy to get decent results on photographing models, it's a steep learning curve and depends a lot on the equipment, Cell phone or camera, what type of lens is available, the source of light and backgrounds and other equipment. If you use a camera, try manual metering and spot measurement for the light. Try to get as much light as possible and adjust the light temperature (in Kelvin) correctly (white balance). Use a decent aperture of at least f8 for sufficent depth of field.

But do I remember right, that there were some nice pics of a Marder and a LRDG Chevy, so whom do I tell.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, DocRob said:

But do I remember right, that there were some nice pics of a Marder and a LRDG Chevy, so whom do I tell.

Thanks Rob , ironically the Marder and the LRDG were shot with my iPhone, tried it on the Male IV but to no avail. I’ll wait for bright day and try again.......also I’ll try manual settings on my Canon.......

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Oh WOW, Rob, this is looking great! 

3 hours ago, harv said:

Yes, yes it is !!.....harv :popcorn:

Thanx Senhores, I hope to continue soon with some progress as I'm eager to see what I could do with that monochrome grey behemoth. I definitely want to put some live into it.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

Some little things were done lately, mainly assembling the main components like tank, containers and the lower part of the compartment. I figured it a nice touch to add a well used map of the Normandy area and crushed packet of Gloria cigarettes (better assembled after the pic). The second photo shows most of the subassemblies loosely fitted.

Cheers Rob

P1150152.thumb.JPG.93c61854f1771736f4f26d8e2349d568.JPG

P1150158.thumb.JPG.6ecc396390e87758c43d0c2e95615c9c.JPG

• Like 5

Basic painting is done with the RSO. Now everything will be glued together, the windows with their painted frames will be added and other tiny parts.
I tried to give the dull grey a little depth by using different shades. The base color is Lifecolour Schwarzgrau (Black grey), the lighter parts are Anthrazit grey and more stages got some drops of ivory. I decided against white, to let the Colour rendition not be too cool. That will help to get a nice looking dust coverage, while it hinders the starch contrasts a little. The volume effect is hard to see on the pictures, which where taken a shade lighter than in reality to show the details better.

Cheers Rob

P1150161.thumb.JPG.014e35e9acfc6a657ccbbe709fe76d43.JPG

P1150164.thumb.JPG.4ce1d90c6cd6e23fad404cba2adb2028.JPG

P1150165.thumb.JPG.706ee9b3f3e8848ed2dffba5d18b9843.JPG

P1150166.thumb.JPG.2b79f0b7522857979bd04ea308db8fbe.JPG

• Like 5