The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Share how COVID-19 Quarantine has affected you.

1to1scale

Many of us are dealing with various disruptions due to the quarantine, so it would be interesting to hear how this is affecting people across the world. 

I’ll start with the important stuff, I have a stash of a few hundred kits and a ton of AM, I have 2 1/2 bottles of Tamiya extra thin, and a bottle of Plastiweld, plenty of paint and thinners, and a fresh pair of sprue cutters. 

Just kidding! In reality, I believe I already had Covid-19 In the third week of March and made it through it, I contracted it a week before any test kits were available in my area, any right about the time they started reporting it here. I did go to the doctor (actually RN), they told me that at the time they did not have any kits to test with. So they told me to self quarantine and follow procedures not to spread whatever I had. Thankfully, I did not spread it to my family, I used lots of disinfecting wipes and did a lot of hand washing. It was the worst sickness I ever had. I had a fever over 103 for three days, no amount of Tylenol or Ibuprofen would affect the fever, I had ice packs on my head for days, on days 3-6, slowly my fever went down a degree or two per day. The headaches were paralyzing, I spent the first two days in bed, unable to do anything requiring thought. I didn’t read, model, drive, cook, watch TV, nothing. I was a jellyfish. The headaches stayed constant for 6 days, they they gradually started to lessen over the next week. I was still getting occasional headaches over the next week. I had extreme chills and cold feet that I could never warm up, this was unusual, because I always sleep with my feet sticking out of the blankets. Except for the coughing, I am about two weeks symptom free now, and have never felt like that in my life. I truly hope nobody get it. It is easy to see how the disease could kill someone if they didn’t have a strong immune system and the ability to fight it. I truly hope I did not spread it to anyone around me, as I most likely was carrying it for a few days before and didn’t know it, I only started to feel funny the day before the fever hit, I actually joked with my wife about it. When it hit, the fever went to 103F within a few hours.

as far as home life, my son’s school has been closed since the 13th, and my wife has been working from home since then. I am not working right now, so I am my son’s new teacher, head chef, and laundry lady.

So, my advice is to to follow the quarantine and stay healthy if you can! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ya well I just received two bottles of Tamiya Extra thin, a crap ton of MRP, 5 min epoxy, new sanding sticks, more cyano thick, clear flat acryl so I a ready for the long haul!! As far as the bug goes I have such mixed emotions. I help run a central kitchen for a school district, and we have been designated an essential service so we go in and bag up lunches and breakfasts for the next day and hand out about 500 every day now. I am a man of faith, a little rough around the edges, but still. I have done a lot working with the youth in my town working with youth groups and mentoring, and I love them and love to cook for them(chef by trade) yada yada. The issue I am having is my 80 year old mother lives with me.  We have no cases here yet, but we all know it's just a matter of time. I don't see that the schools are slowing even in areas where there are many sick so we will keep on feeding the kids. Just have a great deal of conflict going on in my heart right now.  I want to help, but just feel before long I will just track that crap home to her. I have been so careful, sanitizing, cleaning, whatever it takes, but like you said tracking that bug around at first can be very easy without warning...ugg!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We're not too bad off yet in our household.   I've got my models and we've been slowly working on getting the nursery ready.  The hard part is the daily stress of dealing with the economy.   As of right now I'm still getting a paycheck but it looks like there might not be any flying in my company till colleges starting playing sports again in the fall if they even play then.  Our owner us a good man with relatively deep pockets, but at some point he will acknowledge he is not running a charity.  So, daily emotions range from depression, fear, anxiety, laughter, joy, peace, anger, etc....  I like to believe I was led to be where I am for a reason and I choose to talk solice in that feeling.   I can promise you this, it's one hell if a time to be expecting a kid.  I've been most angry about the lost opportunities we've had and will have to experience the process of bringing a child into the world.  We're so wrapped up in getting through today that it doesnt even feel like we're having our first anymore.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My hospital department is diagnostic imaging based and we've basically cancelled everything that isn't cancer based or urgent in-patient work. It's work at home where you can and minimal contact otherwise. There has been talk of redeploying people but they haven't approached us as yet. As a physicist my skill set isn't immediately transferable but I'm willing to push trolleys, drive deliveries, whatever's needed. Our problem with working at home is that the IT restrictions on accessing anything from home is extremely tight for data protection, patient confidentiality, etc, so it's mainly emails and committee stuff that can be done.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My Mum had a massive stroke on Jan 12 this year, and the past few weeks have been visiting hospital until recently when she was discharged into a temporary care home until they organise an at home 'care package' this will involve about 4 visits a day by nursing staff to our home.

She's in a really bad way and has not made any progress recovery wise and her prospects are pretty grim. She was sent back to hospital last week from the home as she wasn't eating or able to take her medication, so of course with this Covid 19 going on I am focused on looking after my Dad, trying to get food and supplies and keeping out of the way of other people, plus trying to finish The new RAF David Brown Tractor kit [ which is now done ] I'm just moulding the parts now.

The care home put a lock down on saturday so my Dad saw her briefly and his worry is that it might have been the last time.

My feeling is that as far as the economy is concerned it will not return as before, my last experience of a recession in 1989 [ yes this is one aswell ] is that the damage will be quite permanent and the effects of that last one followed me around for years. 

In a way with mum in the care home in lockdown has at least prevented an army of nursing staff coming to our house and possibly transmitting the virus, but its been quite hard to get my Dad to stop worrying about everything!

Graham

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Graham hang in there my friend. It's hard caring for parents before all this ( I know). I can not fathom doing it now. My thoughts are with you. I hope you can breath for a bit. Me and mine, we are fine.  Store is still open, but bare at times. The few restaurants we have, are open but take out only. We had pizza tonight. My son called today. He is a manager at Maestro's in Las Vegas. He has been furlowed for 30 days. He says everything in Vegas is closed. My daughter and son in law are good. They live in Orange, Cal. He is in plumbing and says working his ass off. They are well stocked. So far, not too bad. Bev is stir crazy! Me, got my models and lots of supplies. I bought 2 extra bottles of glue and CA.  Good on paint. Hope all are doing good.1to1, sorry you had to go through it, but happy you are good now. It's a good lesson for the rest of us.......harv

• Like 3

I am a musician, this means zero work. I may be able to do lessons via Skype. I have 3 booked. No gigs of course. A shame because I just put together a killer funk band. I have also been planning solo drum and percussion concets through the Improvising scene herevin Sydney. The agent Amy, told me last Saturday that online gigs may work out. Nobody knows.

As for me, well I have everything I need for modelling. I have enough blades to last a year at least. I will soon need Mr. Tool cleaner. I still have a 3rd of a bottle and MRP and Tamiya cleaners anyway so I am unconcerned.

I did not bulk buy. My local grocer should be able to have enough stock to feed me.

As vor the virus, I am kind of waiting for it to hit me. My immune system is kind of shot, so there is a danger. I really don't give a rats @$$. Bring it on.

I got an extra few years. If this kills me I won't even know.

Sweet. Bring it on! I want to see just what it is.

Today is a good day to die. :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

Oh that is simply my perspective when in hospital on the edge of death. :)

My apologies to anyone else. :thumbsup2:

Cherrs guys.

Thanks Dale. I’ll remove my response. 
Your life experiences are such that I admire your strength and determination  

That’s am amazing testimony to your inner strength  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Thanks Dale. I’ll remove my response. 
Your life experiences are such that I admire your strength and determination  

That’s am amazing testimony to your inner strength  

Nah mate, just too stupid to die. 

I have become a villiage idiot. I am not ashamed of it because it wasn't my fault. Too much chemo mate. I am a complete wreck.

But I did complete a kit. There is some growth. :)

• Like 4

• Administrators

I haven’t been shut down yet. An “essential business” they say. But I have zero customers so I’m at a standstill now. We’ll see how things go. 
I actually had what amounted to a good, solid 2 hours bench time. 
And, after my B-36, I’m considering building my first wooden sailing ship in 40 years. 

Cochrane’s brig HMS Speedy in 1/64 scale by Vanguard Models. 

25542FE4-5CE4-4DA2-BD1B-103FAE41ECEF.jpeg

7225BB3A-5EC4-4069-B174-1ACA4B19942F.jpeg

DB744EDB-F02B-477B-BAA0-D8E7B11E9553.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Many of us are dealing with various disruptions due to the quarantine, so it would be interesting to hear how this is affecting people across the world. 

I’ll start with the important stuff, I have a stash of a few hundred kits and a ton of AM, I have 2 1/2 bottles of Tamiya extra thin, and a bottle of Plastiweld, plenty of paint and thinners, and a fresh pair of sprue cutters. 

Damn, you are a rich man. Here extra thin is more scarce than TP. 

• Like 4

We are through our first week of curfew now here in Spain. Yesterday we were told that it will be prolonged at least until 11.04. We are only allowed to leave the house to restock urgent supplies and to see a doctor. There are police patrols in the streets checking the purpose of your trip. It's only allowed to be alone in the car and the only way to leave your premises is to walk your dog alone, which is still allowed. Strangely we get used to the situation more and more. It's interesting to see how easy people adopt. 
We are very lucky to be healthy, to have a lot of space and a huge garden to move and we are not dependent on work here on the island. The few opened shops are still stocked and our (food) stash is usually well equipped, because you don't get everything here at any time. 
Economically this will be Desaster on my island. There is only one plane out of ten connecting per day and only for a few emergencies. The ferry is only for transporting goods these days. Tourism, one of the bigger economical factors here is shut down until at least may. My flights to Tenerife to make a planned trip to Berlin in the end of may are cancelled.
The employment situation is traditionally complicated here, but it will get worse with lots of small businesses without the financial background to survive for so long.
You see a lot of solidarity these days, restaurants (closed of course) prepare free food for home delivery for the poorer people and neighbours hang bags with eggs an vegetables on your front door.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Cochrane’s brig HMS Speedy in 1/64 scale by Vanguard Models.

Bring it on Ernie, I had my started wooden ship model of the French Kutter 'Le Renard' in my hands yesterday, maybe….

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Bring it on Ernie, I had my started wooden ship model of the French Kutter 'Le Renard' in my hands yesterday, maybe….

Cheers Rob

Yep, if nothing else, maybe our creative juices will get flowing.

• Like 5

Two kinds of impacts, personal and business.

Personal: As I live in Portugal, and since the Portuguse governement decreed the State of Urgency last week, I am basically confined at home, but for necessary sorties, like going to the supermarket, the doctor, the vet for the pets, etc. The Government has decreed what must be closed (basically anything receiving some public for a "leisure" activity, including restaurants, bars, sports arenas, etc.), and what must remain opened (like supermarkets, pharmacies, banks, petrol stations, industries producing fist necessity goods, et). Then there is a grey area for the businesses that do not fall automatically in one of these two categories. A lot of businesses have closed down, or operate on a reduced basis, in spite of demands by the governement that people should work. For instance, I have a house being built, and it seems the building is almost stalled, with minimum staff doing small tasks. Not that I can really be sure, as I am not allowed to go and visit the construction site.

The Portuguese people are generally very disciplined and with a a strong civvic sense (the same cannot be said of some expats living here, nor for instance of some Spanish people who have fled their country and managed to enter the country even with closed borders). So they respect the rules fairly easily. Supermarkets are open but impose a maximum number of people allowed inside. There are calm queues outside, with social distance duly respected, and no agressive outcrys. The basic necessity goods are scarcer on the shelves, bu there has been no hoarding. All in all, the situation is pretty quiet (and it is also true in real terms with an eerie silence as traffic is down to a minimum). I am stuck in the country, with intra-european flights closed down as of today, and land-frontiers (there are only some with neighbouring Spain) closed as well.

I think everyone knows implicitly that the Portuguese Health System would not be able to cope with a major crisis. It was badly hit by the economy measures taken following the financial crisis of 2008 (for instance salaries of the staff in the hospitals were reduced by 20 to 40 % ), and has not really recovered to its prime since. I'd personally rather avoid having to go to the local hospital, so prefer not to take any risk at all.

Business: I still own, for another few years before retirement, a small business in France, with industrial customers in all types of activities. I have been commuting there twice a month for the last 30 or so months, and, thanks to a great (and autonomous) staff, everything was going fine until last week. Following the confinement descisions, the business has dropped dramatically. We usually work with a 3-to-4 days orders' portfolio ( not more). A lot of industrial sites closed down last Tuesday, and informed us so. I therefore decided to suspend operations last Tuesday night, but, as some of our customers were still working - some of them because they are supplying first-necessity goods - we changed our operations and resumed a limited production last Friday, with about 40 % of the staff. Still, orders are down 80 % for any foreseeable future. And as people are stuck at home, consumption is down everywhere, and this impact will cascade and ripple through all the sectors of the economy for many months.

So the basic goal is to get the business to survive what is going to be a major (read REALLY MAJOR) economic disaster. The French government has put in place part-time working rules and financial help for this. My employees will loose some income (about 25 %) but will still have one, even when stuck at home. I want to avoid redundancies : our business is skill-based, and takes about two years to have fully-proficient employees. So better keep them for when the turnaround will come, at least as long as possible. By the way, the help applies to employees, but not to business owners and independants. I will have to reduce my income, and will not be compensated for it :(

Other measures include helping companies survive what is soon going to be a major cash-crunch crisis, all the more so as, in the end, if you have no orders, you have no invoicing and no income ultimately. I have spent the morning asking my banks to reschedule the down-payments of business morgages, and put in place state-guaranteed fundings. I just hope we will be able to repay all the delayed payments when the economy picks up again .... I have no real way of predicting any future beyond the end of this week, in real terms.

Some good news in the midlle of it: I have a stash worth 150 years of confinment, and find myself in a situation where the other things I always prioritise to modelling, like running my business or following the building of the house, will perforce be put on the back-burner, or at least consume less time. So I should be able to get some modelling done, provided I can still get some income to buy the necessary food to support me through it ;)

Take care all, don't try to outsmart common sense rules, and follow the basic hygiene prescriptions : remember that so far, the greatest killer of the virus is soap.

Hubert

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I'm blessed with a semi autonomous staff as well, Hubert, although I CHOOSE to take one of the paid positions myself simply because I haven't been able to fins someone who can do my job as well as I do.  But I can, (and do), take time off to do modelling related shows, etc, when I can rely on a staff member to fill in when I'm away.  #1 rule in business is not to be "the business" yourself to where the entire resale value of the business is the owner, but as for right now, I still need to be able to work, I'd go stir crazy otherwise.

On Friday, the bottom dropped out. We have absolutely zero new business, and worse, website hiots are the lowest they've ever been and the phone is silent other than for spam calls asking about my car's "extended warranty."   I have furloughed my two new hires, and my two key employees are keeping things moving. Both are good men who, in our meeting this morning, advised that they would work at the level the shop needs, so one went home already and will stay on call, and the last one will stay and handle all our carryover from the previous week.

As is typical for the US Government, one Party put a pretty decent sounding small business assistance plan together, and the other Party just skuttled the entire thing, so as of right now, there is still nothing on the horizon for small business.  Government mopving in this Nation involves one side putting a plan together, and, in exchange for their votes, the other side loading it all up with "pork" so they can get their own personal pet projects funded. that's how we get the Bridges to Knowhere and the 10 million dollar studies determining the mating habits of freshwater leeches after being immersed in Jack Daniels Whiskey for 2 hours.  :wallbash:

But, hopefully, sanity will return and we can get on with our lives.

We are going to a "Stay at Home" type order, all resturants are closed, all sporting events cancelled, concerts and symposiums cancelled as well as live Worship Services. All can be done by live feed, but as of right now, only the Churches are taking advantage of that.

Discipline here is much, much worse, with young people in many places absolutely refusing to follow the rules, and congregating on beaches, in parks, etc.  The pictures of 10s of thousands of young "Spring Break" college kids on the beaches ibn California and Florida just boggle the mind......

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

Discipline here is much, much worse, with young people in many places absolutely refusing to follow the rules, and congregating on beaches, in parks, etc.

Sadly, it's not much different here in Canada. One of the conservation authorities here decided to close all their parks as of Sunday. We were at one on Saturday (their smallest) and things were fine. It wasn't crowded and people were doing the social distancing thing properly. Apparently that wasn't the case at their larger parks so they decided to close them all. 

Which is a shame when you've got small kids who have excess energy to burn. Guess I'll have to go to plan B:

MVIMG_20200323_113943.thumb.jpg.a11bd33fd64209b9e860f290e258d840.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Discipline here is much, much worse, with young people in many places absolutely refusing to follow the rules, and congregating on beaches, in parks, etc.  The pictures of 10s of thousands of young "Spring Break" college kids on the beaches ibn California and Florida just boggle the mind......

59 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Sadly, it's not much different here in Canada. One of the conservation authorities here decided to close all their parks as of Sunday. We were at one on Saturday (their smallest) and things were fine. It wasn't crowded and people were doing the social distancing thing properly. Apparently that wasn't the case at their larger parks so they decided to close them all. 

I remember, even though it's quite some time now, having also been a mindless youth thinking the world belonged to me ...

Still the idea that, even if I would personnally not be more than mildly inconvenienced for a few days by the virus, I could get it partying and then pass it on to my elderly neighbours or grandparents and drive them prematurely to their grave would make me sleepless ...

Hubert

• Like 4

Dont worry , that generation has more watchdogs than a 1970's junkyard.

The proliferation of personal rat fuck devices makes sure everyone gets reported multiple times.

I remember a running battle I  had , riding my chopper , a guy in his van attempting to kill me , by the time I left him on his front lawn there were no less than 9 people on the phone, some had followed for miles.

My island has been closed off , i woke up to that, several islands around me doing the same.

I asked the fire chief about the virus , hes on point , then my friend asked his Mom , the chief paramedic. , they both had DIAMETRICALLY OPPOSED INFORMATION on the same subject. Like , what the actual fuck is going on!

If Health care and first respondents are so vastly differently informed on an island of less than 1000 people what chance is there of any proper info ?

Those people on the beach and out and about?

In the not too distant the same pics may be captioned ; 'THE DEAD'

• Like 3

2 hours ago, krow113 said:

Dont worry , that generation has more watchdogs than a 1970's junkyard.

The proliferation of personal rat fuck devices makes sure everyone gets reported multiple times.

I remember a running battle I  had , riding my chopper , a guy in his van attempting to kill me , by the time I left him on his front lawn there were no less than 9 people on the phone, some had followed for miles.

My island has been closed off , i woke up to that, several islands around me doing the same.

I asked the fire chief about the virus , hes on point , then my friend asked his Mom , the chief paramedic. , they both had DIAMETRICALLY OPPOSED INFORMATION on the same subject. Like , what the actual fuck is going on!

If Health care and first respondents are so vastly differently informed on an island of less than 1000 people what chance is there of any proper info ?

Those people on the beach and out and about?

In the not too distant the same pics may be captioned ; 'THE DEAD'

I actually liked the video this link refers to. Interesting, moderate and informative IMHO.

But rather than link directly to the video, I prefer to post a link to a site disclosing the whereabouts of the doctor in the video, so that everyone can make its mind knowingly about it.

https://www.niemanlab.org/2020/03/the-l-a-times-uses-its-physician-owner-to-help-explain-the-science-behind-the-coronavirus/

Hubert

• Like 3