Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

What’s on your 2020 modelling shopping list ?

HubertB

Ok, as a (big) number of us have some extra modelling time nowadays, and also time for mulling/daydreaming, and as there are plenty of kits already released, or about to be released,  what would be on your « models-to-buy » list for this year ?

Your list does not have to be :

- aircrafts only,

- 1/32 only,

- new releases only (for instance I would expect a Tamiya Corsair on JohnB’s list ;) )

- IM plastic only,

- complete kits only, if you badly « need » AM stuff.

I’ll bite first with my list (all aircrafts in 1/32 scale, ofcourse ;) )

Trumpeter 1/200 Titanic (done)

IBG PZL P11c (done and on the bench)

Silver Wings DH-82 Tiger Moth (ordered - waiting for delivery)

Lukgraph DH-89 Dragon Rapide 

Dora Wings Dewoitine 500-510

Daco Fouga Magister

Fly Saab J-29

(tbc)

Well, this is a long list already. Bad news is the income will be down with the Covid-19-induced economic slump, and thus slush funds for modelling. Good news is some releases will be delayed for the same reason.

so, what’s yours ?

Hubert

• Like 5

Well...  I'm not usually a list maker.  I have lots of kits, but you never know when the impulse will strike:

WNW Fokker Dr.I...  maybe two of them

Eduard Bf 108

Short list...  More of an impulse buyer, anyway.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Well...  I'm not usually a list maker.  I have lots of kits, but you never know when the impulse will strike:

WNW Fokker Dr.I...  maybe two of them

Eduard Bf 108

Short list...  More of an impulse buyer, anyway.

Gawd ... I’d forgotten about the Bf-108. If I can find a decent civilian scheme for it ... :hsmack:

Hubert

• Like 5

I am seriously considering a Lego Titanic build.. but some examples can be huge. It's all because my Grandfather Andrew Dall was a junior engineer at Harland and Wolf (Belfast), set to sail on the Titanic, responsible for the steam engine designs, he would have been in the engine rooms most of the time. All his superiors gave him an option of being the Chief Engineer on a lesser prestige ship, to be delivered to a Greek client, just so that they could take his place on that maiden voyage...
My other model would be a scale plastic build of a D-Day LST, the only kit I can find is a Lindberg model. Does anyone have other suggestions?
My father John Dall ( Andrew Dall's son ) was a Royal Navy Lt Engineer on a D-Day US built but Royal Navy loaned LST. The closest I have got so far is this CGI model I managed to get of LST 165 built in 3d. https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/lst-landing-transport-ship-boat-3d-model/331467  Although technically the Royal Navy LST's had none of the front Bofors/Oerlikon gun turrets that the US operated ships had. The RN ships trained to land as silently as possible, all cables on the stern kedge anchor heavily greased to muffle sound, as they would drop that anchor just before beaching. But the American LSTs on the next beach to Gold would  land with all front guns blazing. The RN LST crews would watch them land attracting all the returning fire.
A bit off track, but D-Day related. Again my father John Dall was a keen jazz musician and on LST165, he spotted on a subsequent trip to the D-Day landings, that the RAF "Squadronairs" were being loaded on board as part of the troop entertainment bound for Europe. The RAF Squadronairs, were really a rebadged famous London night club Jazz band. as were many adopted bands during WW2. My Father, being a jazz drummer himself, convinced them to set up all their instruments on the deck of LST-165 and just play as they sailed over to Normandy.
I think we are all here building these detailed scaled replicas more in respect for what has gone before us, be it for family history or the fact we just had the good fortune to not have our lives ever scared or altered by such experiences.

To all, keep safe in these times of "the end of normal".

• Like 6

Dr.1...like 5 of them

HP 0/100

A-26

Mirage 2000… if it ever makes it's way to the U.S

HPH Helldiver in plastic

...more Tamiya F-16's

...not many new jet's coming about. I would love to grab a A-7E full meal deal perhaps. All of which have that huge asterisk next to them.

• Like 6

Only ones in 1/32 would be the IM Helldiver and the Bf 108. There are a couple in 1/48 and 1/72 as I model in all scales, as I age I have been scaling back my urge to just jump on any new release however tempting it may be as I have about a 100 kits I'd like to dispose of now.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, GusMac said:

I'd go

Mirage 2000D

Tamiya F4U-1A to be done as a FAA bird

RFM Firefly to be done as used by the Fife & Forfar Yeomanry.

That'll do as l have enough other things to get finished as it is!

RFM Firefly? Pray tell?!!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, smitty44 said:

RFM Firefly? Pray tell?!!

Looks more like target than something wIth wings. And Paul Fisher’s Fairey Firefly in development has gone in flames with the rest of his business, unfortunately for him (and us)

Hubert

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TJTX said:

... Past that, I'm planning on building not buying. 

Yeah, that’s what I keep telling myself all the time. But somehow these kits have developed an uncanny capability to sneak past the best resolutions. Such stealthiness is somewhat frightening sometimes :D.

Thank God, Trumpeter’s TBD is not on this year’s release schedule (or is it :rolleyes: ?). That will leave something for the post-Covid-19 times :rofl:

Hubert

• Like 3

To be honest, I need to focus on bare survival . This whole situation affects small businesses to the point that I am extremely concerned about finances . No new models here, at least for now. Apologies for being so blunt, but that is the reality of many, at the moment.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, TJTX said:

I'd love another Tamiya F-16, and based on some scuttlebutt I sincerely hope for and would grab quickly an AMK F-14 in 1/32. Past that, I'm planning on building not buying. 

Do you know something we don’t?

• Like 4

My thoughts are truly with those of you who are in financial trouble. Right now my wife is a fairly well paid healthcare IT person, and with hospitals the way they are, she has zero chance of loosing her job. However, with me losing my job last year and currently unable to find anything, we lost 40% of our income, but cost cutting has got us to already have been in budget mode since last year. So this current situation has actually helped us save money, we have been using almost no gas, and no schooling expenses for my son, and thankfully, the weather is warming up, so lower heating costs are welcome. But not a day goes by where I don’t worry about family, friends, and neighbors. I am making sure to tip everyone extra whenever I can. I have already decided we will not be applying for any additional Govt money they are offering, we are just hoping those in need can get some help. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

Do you know something we don’t?

AMK is putting out a 1/32 weapons set which includes the Phoenix missile.   Someone asked if that meant they were upscaling the Tomcat, they had a sort of sly response that makes me believe they will.  Or at least hope they will. 

• Like 5

Hopefully the SH Westland Whirlwind will make an appearance this year it is the only kit that I will probably buy, being a retired person I can indulge myself (within reason) but there just are not any other kits out there or planned that take my fancy. An SH car door Typhoon could be the exception.

Hopefully like the Gladiator and the PZL P11c there might be surprises in store for me, a Fulmar, Skua or BPF Firefly would be great.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

To be honest, I need to focus on bare survival . This whole situation affects small businesses to the point that I am extremely concerned about finances . No new models here, at least for now. Apologies for being so blunt, but that is the reality of many, at the moment.

No need to apologise, Martin. This is the absolute truth. This is meant to be a light-hearted thread where we can share our desires and hopes, modelling-wise.

As for being in survival mode, I understand very well what you mean. I have spent more time this week working on my business’ survival than I usually work when everything is doing fine. Part of the survival measures will be cutting my income to the minimum. All my modelling purchases were done before the crisis exploded. My other time-eater of the moment is the house I am having built. Until last week, I was getting very crossed at the idea of the works getting late and potentially impacting the delivery date. But now, I will welcome a three-months delay with relish ...

Hubert

• Like 6

7 hours ago, GusMac said:

Tamiya F4U-1A to be done as a FAA bird

Me too! And a -1D to go along with it. Just need to figure out when I'll do them. 

3 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

To be honest, I need to focus on bare survival .

So true for many people. Sue is the primary wage earner in our home and with me already a stay at home dad, it's made things a bit easier. The part time work I had while the kids were in school is gone so that's my modelling budget with it. 

Likes others on here, I've got a decent sized stash and there's stuff I've got preordered and paid for to get my new car smell fix. 

Back on topic, prior to the current situation, I had just a couple kits in mind. 

- Italeri 1/12 Lancia Delta

- Special Hobby Whirlwind

Carl

• Like 4

And yes, I want actually buy any kits this year.  I'm utterly terrified of my future employment and I bring in 2/3 of the household income.   If I somehow get through this mess I'll treat myself to a lovely Tamiya or Wingnut kit for Christmas 2021.  But, in the mean time I build and  dream about what I'd like to have and work on.  

• Like 5

9 hours ago, TJTX said:

AMK is putting out a 1/32 weapons set which includes the Phoenix missile.   Someone asked if that meant they were upscaling the Tomcat, they had a sort of sly response that makes me believe they will.  Or at least hope they will. 

That would be really nice!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TJTX said:

And yes, I want actually buy any kits this year.  I'm utterly terrified of my future employment and I bring in 2/3 of the household income.   If I somehow get through this mess I'll treat myself to a lovely Tamiya or Wingnut kit for Christmas 2021.  But, in the mean time I build and  dream about what I'd like to have and work on.  

Don’t worry, the baby will take any build time for the next two years. I suggest putting a crib in your build room...good excuse to get some build time while the baby is sleeping.

As for your job, I wish you luck, it’s a tough time to be in aviation and I’m last person to give job advice. All I can say, make yourself useful, find something you can do with your company while you are not flying.

If am under no dillusions that the big “B” will be rehiring me anytime soon. 

• Like 2