The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

WNW Fokker D.VII (not in-box) scheme

Hi everyone,

Time to call another one done.   No idea who the pilot was, and the color scheme is all based on my research and some help from others that know more about WWI and Fokker D.VII's than I do. 

ksosVh.jpg

And here is the photo that started it all:

VpdJ6O.png

I had originally stressed over crinkles around the wing edge...  but then I found that the real thing has crinkles in places, too.

zAodLp.jpg

3dyapv.jpg

The Green and white tail is of Jasta 54.  A Saxon unit.  I used graphite powder to simulate wiped lubrication oil stains.

8EXesL.jpg

A fly joined the photo-shoot destroying all sense of scale.  Bastard!!

OoqxXU.jpg

More graphite powder.  I hate over-weathering on aircraft models.  But that's me.

0XVOjl.jpg

nfStNh.jpg

It's taken quite a few attempts but I finally have masking laminated props.  Still need work on the wood grain, though.  But I forgot to paint the prop shaft stub....

ySg4HG.jpg

BDDqdx.jpg

I used some armor weathering technique to highlight the louvered cowl.  And I smudged the step-pads of the wing root with more graphite powder.

ocdAxO.jpg

eLEvr9.jpg

m1E3MF.jpg

MiBMA4.jpg

Some under-wing spatters and dirtied up the wheels a bit.

uw9Jba.jpg

QOScVB.jpg

And I almost forgot the obligatory cockpit shots:

jt5szm.jpg

WWQF2k.jpg

Thank you for looking!

Gaz

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Wow, what a nice Fokker. The, at least to me, unseen scheme is a looker, so many different patterns, great. I like every aspect about your build and hope mine, with the coat of arms of Berlin, will be near as good as yours.
Did you use the kit lozenge or AM?

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HubertB said:

I would be happy, without any restraint. Good job :thumbsup2: !

If I was the pilot, I'd be seriously worried about this fly. She's huuuuuuge :lol: !

Hubert

Thank you!  I didn't see the fly until I was editing the photos.  Quite a surprise!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Wow, what a nice Fokker. The, at least to me, unseen scheme is a looker, so many different patterns, great. I like every aspect about your build and hope mine, with the coat of arms of Berlin, will be near as good as yours.
Did you use the kit lozenge or AM?

Cheers Rob

Thank you, Rob!  I'll be interested to see yours, for sure!  I don;t know if I've seen the Berlin Bear in any WWI context.  I'm thinking about putting the Landestuhl Wappen on an Albatros:

1639986_1_articledetail_91-98463415.jpg

But I need to do more research, first,

To your question, yes, that is the kit lozenge.  First I toned it down with a misting of grey.  Not satisfied with that, I used a further misting of the grey with brown added.  This was the four-color lozenge BTW. 

Gaz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I don;t know if I've seen the Berlin Bear in any WWI context.

I got a set of Lifelike Decals and the fully lozenged upper one sports the Berliner Bär Wappen. It was part of Jasta Boelcke and was possibly flown by Paul Blunk, but I have to add some research before I start.

lifelikedecalsreviewmd_32018_1.jpg

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DocRob said:

I got a set of Lifelike Decals and the fully lozenged upper one sports the Berliner Bär Wappen. It was part of Jasta Boelcke and was possibly flown by Paul Blunk, but I have to add some research before I start.

lifelikedecalsreviewmd_32018_1.jpg

Cheers Rob

Excellent!  I have never seen that profile before.  That's a great scheme!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Simply stunning, Gaz!

Thank you, sir!

3 hours ago, harv said:

Masterful modeling my friend!.......harv :151_41_44_712.09472830013627761

Thank you,, very much!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Gaz, that’s &#*#&&-=#=-     Amazing........I think I’m going to retire from this hobby.......

Thank you Phil!  Please don't retire from the hobby.  There are too few of us already.  And life without styrene...  is an unhappy life.  Besides...   It isn't without it's warts.

7 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Fantasia looking build Gaz. The masking work you did for the markings was great. 

Carl

Thank you Carl!  The masking was hard work, I'll admit.  I made nine cuts for the fuselage band, three for each side.  Alignment was the issue.  I used all but one of the cuts. 

Gaz

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

That is an excellent build and you have achieved a lovely finish. The dulling down the lozenge works well.  I will need to do that when I complete the one I am working on now. I think I will practice on my Pfalz DXII. first.  I will try Tamiya smoke first.  
I do like the finish on the exhaust it looks like heat damage and staining.  
Andrew.  

• Like 2

On 7/26/2020 at 10:16 PM, MrFew said:

That is an excellent build and you have achieved a lovely finish. The dulling down the lozenge works well.  I will need to do that when I complete the one I am working on now. I think I will practice on my Pfalz DXII. first.  I will try Tamiya smoke first.  
I do like the finish on the exhaust it looks like heat damage and staining.  
Andrew.  

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...