The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Kotare Models: A new model company by the former staff of Wingnut Wings.

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

This is a brand new company that is going to set the modeling world on fire, I think.

Most of the familiar names we all know and admire are involved, and judging by the talent here, I expect great things. Even the website looks strikingly similar …. 

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kotaremodels

Folks, this may be another game changer, and a worthy replacement for WNW.  Rumors abound, but the most common one is that a WW2 subject is in development  

73B00509-0D81-45F8-8296-61782B56DF4F.png

5731CB5B-7554-422E-9E7C-AF9AB743E234.png

2AB314A1-4AC2-482C-A18B-55DAD23CB654.png

485C8186-EB8C-421C-9B9D-34669037AB54.png

4D50DD0D-7482-4C1C-9634-1EFA9EA9D372.png

00A10067-57D3-490D-AB6E-F60DFBC17AE1.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

• Clunkmeister changed the title to Kotare Models: A new model company by the former staff of Wingnut Wings.

That sounds promising Ernie. A couple other ex WNW staff launched a new line of 1/144 BoB planes on Kickstarter recently too. They were starting with the Spitfire and 109 and hoped to branch out from there. There's more info on Britmodeler about that venture. 

Carl

• Like 4

• Administrators
2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

That sounds promising Ernie. A couple other ex WNW staff launched a new line of 1/144 BoB planes on Kickstarter recently too. They were starting with the Spitfire and 109 and hoped to branch out from there. There's more info on Britmodeler about that venture. 

Carl

Good deal.  I’m happy to see that all that talent isn’t being wasted. I absolutely refused to buy a Meng Dr1 just more due to morals (or lack thereof) than anything else, but I do look forward to supporting these guys.  They’re the ones that made it happen over at Wingnut, and they all learned a few harsh lessons in the process, hopefully coming out the other side as better people in every respect. 
I’ll give them all my support, both personally and through LSM.    

thoughts:   Hmmmm, WW2, ehhh?  Ok then, a WNW quality short nose 190, 109E, P-47 Razorback, Hurricane Mk.1, Spitfire Mk.V, P-38, P-39, F6F, and F3F should start them off quite nicely. 🤣

• Like 7

• Administrators

One model that was somehow missed by WNW is the DH.4.  Why, I dunno, because those of us who also like Civilian aircraft also know that the DH.4 was a very well used postwar civilian transport, barnstormer, freighter, airliner, mailplane, and all around beater. They were very common and much modified from their original form.

• Like 5

Sounds good.

And they are continuing the subtle teasing of us as WNW did, their website hinting at this and that without any solid details.

Which they are entitled to do and is not harmful teasing ...lol.

I will say that 'Dream Teams' are not a new phenom , and many have failed , some brutally , and this certainly qualifies as a Dream Team.

I hope for the best as the standard is very high now and must be met!

lol

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Ok then, a WNW quality short nose 190, 109E, P-47 Razorback, Hurricane Mk.1, Spitfire Mk.V, P-38, P-39, F6F, and F3F should start them off quite nicely. 🤣

Defo on the Fw190 (short and long) and Hurricane. But i also think that if they did a Beaufighter, it would be a licence to print money.

• Like 2

Ernie

I did an earlier post today asking if anyone might have some inside information but it appears we're all in the same boat and will have to just wait and see.

One thing for sure, if the new kit(s) are going to be up to the standard of WNW, they surely won't be $99 each. Quality costs and I'm all in.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 4

This is cool news......... I hope they can bring back the WNW kits, under the new name, that would be cool, as there are a few I procrastenated on and missed out, so maybe Lady Luck will shine on us.

I have read a lot about the demise of the WNW operations and what little bit there is about this new venture....... the many "EXPERTS" out there all seem to know the finest of details of this venture and who owns what molds, who is keeping or selling said molds and if WWI subjects are a sinking ship and they should do WWII stuff instead, then they go into who is and who isn't financing the venture and then the HUGE speculation on what the first kit is going to be, "No it isn't going to be the Lancaster, it's going to be another 109,...." truth is NONE of the "Experts" Know anything, nothing at all, it is ALL speculation. Who really does know are the guys who have taken the plunge to try and bring us something special, and they are obviously trying hard. It may VERY well be the Lancaster, and to the experts ( we don't have many 'experts' here that know it all, mostly on tos's where they seem to gather ) who knows, maybe Sir PJ IS bank rolling the new venture or given, sold , or loaned the molds ...? I wish the 'experts' would relax with the massive speculation they know NOTHING about............... the guys here on this site make this thread very interesting with little or NO speculation about the business model. Personally, I don't know anything of the business end of this new venture, and will not speculate, about what they should or should not do, I am THRILLED they are taking a chance on us, and are risking their finances to bring us some new found joy and excitement in these time we are in. I hope they can bring this together as best they can and I certainly look forward to see what comes.

You guys are making this an interesting thread and I'm glad there isn't much discussion about the detailed inner workings of the new company, and I'm sure I will do what I can to support them..... lets keep this thread going with the real information not like some other sites .....I will get off my soap box now... thanks for letting express my thoughts....

• Like 3

There are lots of other way over done subjects to add to the list but I think a WWII subject will have a wider appeal then a WWI subject. Best to sit tight and wait for an announcement as to what their first release will be rather then just guessing, which is what we use to do for the new  yearly Tamiya release which has ceased to be. 

if it's a quality kit and from the team working on it, all the indications are t it will be a first class kit.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 3

• Administrators

One thing to bear in mind is this:  This is not Wingnut Wings. It’s a brand new company, based in NZ, that so happens to be made up of many of the big names from Wingnut Wings.  Wingnut was P.J.’s baby. Nothing got produced that he didn’t want, a d because he’s passionate about WW1 subjects, that’s what we got.

I think we’ll find, that most of the company men who also build models are a lot like us; they appreciate WW1, but their passion is for later stuff. WW2 and later. 

Also, because it’s a new company, they’ll need to get cash flowing, and I expect that’ll mean a sure seller. Yes, 109, P-51, Spitfire, 190, whatever, but an iconic design that the entire world knows.  But that doesn’t mean we get another Mustang IV or 190D-9.  There are plenty of versions of all those designs that cry out for kits.  P-51B, a perfect 109E, Hurricane I, a 190C, a Spitfire V, and with the Hobbycraft kits now bringing serious collector ££€€¥¥$$$, a new P-51A, Mustang I, A-36 would be a welcome addition as well.

Yes, I’d love a Nakajima Kate, but it ain’t happening, at least not now.   And I know nothing more than y’all, but it’s just common sense that says I ain’t getting my F3F today. 

• Like 6

I can't help it...  I love to speculate.  The question is:  Can anyone identify either of those parts shown on their webpage.  I can definitely say that I haven't seen them on anything I've ever built.

• Like 4

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Drdave said:

It looks like a wing centre section from below and trailing edge drain holes for moisture.

My heart says Hanriot, with no cortical input to stop it whatsoever.

You and I are similar in that respect. My heart says DH-4, my logical side says 190C

• Like 2

Hopefully, they will have learnt from their own (bitter) experience: that you need a great dose of passion and commitment to bring world class subjects to the market. But also that passion must not go to the point that you have a lame duck already before the launch (Gotha UWD anyone ?) or that the commitment to ultimate detailing will bring your costs far beyond the point where you can expect a reasonable Return on Investment («Ultimate » Lancaster anyone ?)

If the learnings are here, then we may well see a « mainstream » WWII subject, even if I would personally much prefer … say a Lockheed Vega in 1/32, rather than a P-51 B ;) …

And, in all honesty, they may also find that 1/48 generates far less developments costs and greater volumes than 1/32 (yeahh, I know Burn the Heretic :tank:! I’ll even supply the matches :) )

Anyway, out with my ramblings, and I wish Kotare all the best. (They could even have chosen a duck rather than a kingfisher for a name ;) IMHO)

Hubert

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

I plan to have an optimistic point of view regarding this company. Why not a Lockheed

Vega? I'd love to see both the wood and aluminum versions of this aircraft in 1/32 scale . By the way

my last name is Veiga  and it's pronounced the same way. 

mrrareairplanenby.jpg

Why not a Lockheed Vega??  Because only 7 people alive in the world today knows what it is, and only two might buy it.  They will be a failure if they sell some subject that isn't known world-round.  Period.   Fw 190A, P51, spitfire, Jug, Zero (doubt it), Bf 109, Hurricane, P40...  or a well known and well wanted WWI subject.  Otherwise they'll be out of bread faster than Ernie can empty his six shooter.

BTW, Ern...   what's up with the FW 190 C??  It was a test plane only.  Seriously doubt ppl gonna pony up for that and it's huge exhaust pipe.

• Like 2

Well, one can hope for new and diverse model kits. Actually, the Lockheed Vega 

Was one of the most well-known aircraft of its day. Used by Wiley Post and Amelia Earhart it  has some history.Anyway I was just using it as

an example. So I guess, in reality ,we must be satisfied with more of the same from

model companies.  Thanks for putting me straight.