The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A Corsair VF-17 #5

I actually finished this one almost three years ago, but never posted any photos of it.  Hopefully these photos turn out, enjoy!

This is my second Tamiya F4U Corsair, and I have a third one on the bench now.  Amazing kit, only a couple of quirks to deal with but nothing too bad.  I really wanted to model #5 flown by Tom Killefer after seeing some great photos of his aircraft.  I used a mix of decals, hoping to use the Kagero #5 markings from one of their publications but that did not go so well.  So, I made a mask for the "5" and got it done!  Painted with Tamiya acrylics, weathered with oils.  

20180327_110649.jpg

20180327_110707.jpg

20180327_110723.jpg

DSC_0009.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JohnB said:

ALRIGHT!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves Corsairs! Great looking build Rob. :)

Thanks John, I remember being shocked when you built three of them (I think it was three?).  Now I know why, the Tamiya kit is one of my all time favorites to work on.  It's Frank though, no worries!

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Daywalker said:

Thanks John, I remember being shocked when you built three of them (I think it was three?).  Now I know why, the Tamiya kit is one of my all time favorites to work on.  It's Frank though, no worries!

Oops! Brain fart Frank! At last count it's 14 Tamiya Corsairs! I think they are like rabbits and multiply when you are not looking! I just bought a couple of Quinta cockpit sets for a birdcage and a -1A so I guess there will be more to come. The Corsairs and P-51's are addictive!!! :)Keep up the good work!

• Like 5

Kaireckstadt - Thank you, loved what you did with yours as well.  You've really got me thinking about a base for mine too.

Thank you Mike, much appreciated!

John - FOURTEEN?!?  At this rate you'll soon have as many as the USN.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

This one slipped past me, beautiful finish, love the marbling. The Corsair was my first 32nd build and still resides on the SOD. I really messed it up, one day I’ll haul its ass out. Looking forward to the next 14 builds…….. 

Thank you, I was very happy with how the finish turned out on this one.  It's subtle, in fact some of it is almost invisible in the photos.  Hopefully, the -1D I'm working on turns out as well.  What happened with yours?  Curious to hear what went south on it.  There's a couple of areas in these kits to be careful with during assembly, I only discovered them myself by accident.

• 2 weeks later...