The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

I'm not a Sci Fi guy. So what's a VF-1?  It looks like an F-14 that took a SAM hit. (Iranian F-14, obviously)

The VF-1 is from a Japanese anime called Macross that came out in 1982. It was edited and dubbed into English and renamed Robotech (which made a complete travesty of the show).

Yup, the designers were heavily influenced by the F-14. The swing wings, twin tails and even the Jolly Rogers Skull and Crossbones. 

It can basically transform into a giant humanoid robot when needed and is space flight worthy. 

The Super/Strike versions are basically up- armoured and -gunned versions. 

Here's a link to the movie version if anyone's interested. There's some great animation in it which was all hand drawn. No CGI in this one.

The song at the end became a huge hit in Japan.

As for Top Gun, someone redid the intro using the Too Gun anthem. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wumm said:

I love it!

Especially the warning:

"Caution - 1/20 scale", as if it's not enough warning that it's in a box large enough to hold a Child's ride-on Jeep or similar!

They also put this warning on every corner of the shipping box:

IMG_20191011_142601-L.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

I’m with Ernie , never heard of these guys / series. The only sci-fi i have ever known is Dr Who, the original Star Trek with James T Kirk and Lost in Space...........and probably the original series of Thunderbirds, strings and all..........

I'm with you , Phil, but as far as Sci-fi goes, I don't think a guy can beat "The Final Countdown", I really liked that film........... and YES the Thunderbirds were and still are awesome, I'd watch them again in a heart beat even if I am in my 60's................ oh geez did I say '60's"??? Probably why I'm so far behind everyone here.....................

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

That film is the reason I love the F-14.  Even got it on BluRay.

One of the F-14s I have in the stash will be a VF-84 one from the film. 

Carl

I'm still old school, I should grab a dvd of it... I have it on old VHS..................( what's VHS??)  :rofl:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

I have it on old VHS..................( what's VHS??)  :rofl:

I still have a reasonably sized collection of Laserdiscs. I even have the last release of the original Star Wars films before George Lucas decided to make Greedo shoot first amongst other changes.   I just need to grab a Laserdisc player from my folks. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I still have a reasonably sized collection of Laserdiscs. I even have the last release of the original Star Wars films before George Lucas decided to make Greedo shoot first amongst other changes.   I just need to grab a Laserdisc player from my folks. 

I remember seeing "Han shot first!" t-shirts for sale at the last convention we had in Perth :rofl::rofl:... you can't fool the nerd population!! ... but seriously - how could Greedo miss from there???

5 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Rog, I knew you'd like them. They're such a great design. 

A lot of people forget that Japan had a much greater sci-fi production and selection than the rest of the western world for decades before Star Trek and Star Wars - Even if it was mostly Animated. In fact ... US networks went scrambling for licensing rights to a fair amount of Japanese stuff to fill the demand, once Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica became hits.

Rog :)

• Like 3

No, this isn’t a bag of rock-salt...

Carl was beyond generous and sent me a pair of Brit Mk-II gunsights and reflectors from his collection of Spitfire kits, for me to use in the P-47 build 

i had a resin upgrade set For the Spitfire, which contained the sight, but it specified kit parts for the glass.

sooooo....

Carl stepped up...!

i know have a pair of Mk-II sights and reflectors, in case I fumble-finger yet another itty bitty part...

thank you, Sir!

FEE0AC35-C7B1-44E9-9358-0699EF9C0DEC.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And... just in time to start building the engine, this arrived today from ANYZ...

.05mm in black, gray, red and copper

.08mm in black

spark plugs and line connectors sufficient to see me through at least the P-47, B-25 and B-17 builds

image.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, crazypoet said:

And... just in time to start building the engine, this arrived today from ANYZ...

.05mm in black, gray, red and copper

.08mm in black

spark plugs and line connectors sufficient to see me through at least the P-47, B-25 and B-17 builds

image.jpg

And after all that a trip to the Optometrist.................  very cool stuff, love the detail..............will be fun and most interesting to watch all those engines come together....

• Like 5

On 9/12/2019 at 6:32 PM, Clunkmeister said:

This is a P-51 scheme I’ve wanted to do for years.  I like unique schemes with a neat stories behind them.  No, as Pacific Mustangs go, it’s pretty bland, but the story is the best part of all  

The pilot, Lt. Louis E. Curdes was credited with shooting down 7 German, 1 Italian, 1 Japanese, and...... 1 American aircraft.

There is a really great back story on how he got credit for shooting down an American C-47 aircraft, flown by Americans, and filled with American Officers, and the Nurse he had dated the night before and would eventually marry  

Check out the stupid grin on his face  :)

F5D2802E-EA2C-41E7-A9E1-B8A4B056D926.jpeg

624F7FB6-D2E2-41ED-B923-5F61F7D2C94D.jpeg

E117D75D-2C93-418D-982B-C43D8C4CAE97.png

A compelling story on this one, Ernie! So much so that my set of Bad Angel decals arrived in the mail yesterday. I'm painting the nose on mine red, though.

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675033349_P-51-plane_Swastika_Japanese-flag_American-flag_fuselage

• Like 6

On 10/14/2019 at 5:09 PM, crazypoet said:

No, this isn’t a bag of rock-salt...

Carl was beyond generous and sent me a pair of Brit Mk-II gunsights and reflectors from his collection of Spitfire kits, for me to use in the P-47 build 

i had a resin upgrade set For the Spitfire, which contained the sight, but it specified kit parts for the glass.

sooooo....

Carl stepped up...!

i know have a pair of Mk-II sights and reflectors, in case I fumble-finger yet another itty bitty part...

thank you, Sir!

FEE0AC35-C7B1-44E9-9358-0699EF9C0DEC.jpeg

image.jpg

I was going to guess crack, but good to know it's styrene!

• Like 7