Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

On 4/13/2023 at 12:21 PM, belugawhaleman said:

This came today; from BNA, in Australia..... Great people btw. Just a few days in

transit...impressive.... But a week in Customs in Chicago....and a day later after

a delivery "attempt" by USPS.....no big deal a 10 minute round trip to the post office in

Waukegan. By Takom, it's their WW 1 Heavy Tank MK V (2034) 3 in 1.

This kit can be built as Male, Female, or "hermaphrodite" configurations. Pretty

cool. Lots of marking options; including a checker board option that would result in

my opinion...in total mental collapse.  A cool kit!

Takom 2034_boxart (1).jpg

Takom 2034 Mk.V WWI Heavy Battle Tank - IMG_6347_kindlephoto-1563900.jpg

On 4/13/2023 at 8:31 PM, BlrwestSiR said:

It's amazing how fast an order from BNA can arrive halfway across the world and yet something 45min away can take days to go 60km. 

On 4/14/2023 at 12:58 AM, HubertB said:

And even more amazing is the fact that the same European item, shipped from Australia to Europe, is still overall cheaper than from the European manufacturer, direct …

Hubert

Just about every time I see somebody post a query about a particular sold out kit that they are chasing, I check the local stores here - the ones that I know will ship internationally ... Quite often I can find a kit and post a link for it ... but for whatever reason, it seems they get ignored - even though the favourable exchange rate most often means the purchase prices and shipping rates are a net saving. Never been able to figure it out.

Rog :)

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

Just about every time I see somebody post a query about a particular sold out kit that they are chasing, I check the local stores here - the ones that I know will ship internationally ... Quite often I can find a kit and post a link for it ... but for whatever reason, it seems they get ignored - even though the favourable exchange rate most often means the purchase prices and shipping rates are a net saving. Never been able to figure it out.

I should have checked with you.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

Which one d'ya fancy build first Rog ? 

I'm up for a Tiger buddy build if yer game , I've a Tammy 1/35 to wrestle with .

Rolling out of my first Border build and having done the Dragon Flak 37 some years ago I reckon that'll be a peach of a kit as well .  

Lemme know . 

At the moment I'm involved with a different kind of build ... A House ... and I've hit a bit of a roadblock with that at present ... I don't have enough room in the current dwelling to build anything ... Otherwise I'd be on for a side by side build - but of the same kit ... it's a nice thought to have someone to bounce ideas around with if running into difficulties - thanks for the offer :)

1 hour ago, belugawhaleman said:

I should have checked with you.

lol ... I mostly reply to threads in the traders section when I can find a particular kit that someone is searching for, so no need to proactively ask me , specifically ... but I'll happily provide a list of retailers based here in Aus' that are willing to ship overseas at some point.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I finally broke down and picked up a set of RP Toolz punches. Martin whispered in my ear that I should. Or was that just my inner voice?

I hear the same voices since a long time, but never knew it was Martin's :D.

Nice haul Carl, I have still to punch the 'Buy-button' on these.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 4/13/2023 at 3:07 PM, CrankyCrafstman said:

I just meant that politics controls everything. Government makes laws that effect prices, etc. etc.

And....they rarely do things well. I'm not sure why things are held in customs

so long.....didn't have this problem last year.

• Like 1

I was shopping on Amazon a couple of days ago, looking for something to buy.  I don't remember what search terms I was using but it did not include "Tamiya" or "F-16" or "Thunderbirds".  Weird how random things can pop up there!  Anyway, I scored these two for $188 each - not cheap by any means but for those who know what these things sell for it's a bargain!  At first, I thought "they really can't be the 1/32 kits for that price", but the price seemed too high for the 1/48 and too low for the 1/32.  I looked at the descriptions, part numbers, and took a chance - woohoo!  I'm stoked to get them, and am looking forward to building a Thunderbird and an Aggressor.

20230416_150210.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Following my first positive experience with FPW’s R-1820, I ordered their Bristol Mercury, which I just received.

This one is specifically designed for the IBG’s PZL P-11c, with its metal sheet mounting. Having bought the Vector Mercury, the Kitsbitz’ one, having the kit’s engine, I can say FPW’S one is definitely the best of the lot, with the distinctive cowling supports integrally printed with the main engine.

The engine is supplied with the carburetor, reduction gear crankcase, prop shaft and exhaust collector ring as separate items.

i-NcfXjRk-600x450.jpg

i-HsWTxZx-600x450.jpg

i-Z6qCgdc-600x450.jpg

i-FwPCNVC-600x450.jpg

i-2C6t8kX-600x450.jpg

Hubert

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HubertB said:

Following my first positive experience with FPW’s R-1820, I ordered their Bristol Mercury, which I just received.

This one is specifically designed for the IBG’s PZL P-11c, with its metal sheet mounting. Having bought the Vector Mercury, the Kitsbitz’ one, having the kit’s engine, I can say FPW’S one is definitely the best of the lot, with the distinctive cowling supports integrally printed with the main engine.

The engine is supplied with the carburetor, reduction gear crankcase, prop shaft and exhaust collector ring as separate items.

Do you use this little gem in your civilian PZL build? The IBG supplied one wasn't too bad, given the limited visibility, but this one cries for being shown unobstructed.

Cheers Rob

• Like 6

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Do you use this little gem in your civilian PZL build? The IBG supplied one wasn't too bad, given the limited visibility, but this one cries for being shown unobstructed.

Cheers Rob

Yes, that’s the intention. I’ll relegate the excellent Bitzkrieg’s engine to use on another kit. 
Now. I’ll have to resume the build of my PZL. And I’ll be hard-pressed to come even close to Marcin Matejko’s unbelievable build of the same subject (the 1934 Paris Air Show prototype) that I saw recently on LSP « Ready for inspection »

Hubert

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A small order rom Hannants arrived today. 

Masks for my Mig-29UB and F-35A

PXL_20230421_190403004.thumb.jpg.464e0c7368e84b22c3d73af912880241.jpg

I decided to try the Kits World 3D decals as an experiment on my Tamiya F-14A. I also got the Yahu panels for the HK Lanc. 

PXL_20230421_190450981.thumb.jpg.28b3fbfa73ad8d6a0ffb5e2fd416fe94.jpg

Lastly decals for my Tamiya F-14D kit. PXL_20230421_190519375.thumb.jpg.f1d0cb26502861187e66bc0f4782bf37.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, harv said:

Wish we had a comparison of all the 3D ip stuff...harv 

So far, I'd say Quinta is the best, then Red Fox and then Kits World based on the ones I've gotten and used. 

I haven't tried Eduard and Kelik (Reskit) ones yet.

• Thanks 2