The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Thank Carl, just can't tell you how grateful I am for going the extra mile for me; solved a huge problem as the New Zealand Postal System didn't recognize my zip code and prevented me from pre-ordering the kit, Carl to the rescue.   AWESOME! What a few days: first the Revell Hurricane and now the Kotare Spitfire. I'll be knee deep in RAF WWII Day fighters for a good long while.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 3/25/2023 at 7:06 AM, DocRob said:

My actual USS Arizona build could not prevent me, from digging deeper into maritime objects, albeit in a bit larger scale.
Today, I received the 1/144 Flower Class Corvette from Revell. I got it for a great price and now I'm waiting to lay my hand onto the dedicated Pontos set, which will be more than four times the price of the kit :hsmack:.
I built the 1/72 Matchbox kit, when it came out and made it a RC ship. By then, I was a poor modeler and I always had the idea in the back of my head, to build another one.
Last week, I read somewhere about a Flower Class Corvette build, that the fascination of these vessels lay in their style and size, like they are taken out from a Tintin comic and I thought, bang, right, that's exactly the feeling, juvenile hunger for adventures.

IMG_0954.thumb.JPG.872af71540b49edb623396f434cde19e.JPG

Cheers Rob

Rob, nice score!  Interestingly, this was one of the first two plastic kits I bought from a fellow modeler on MSW to get back into the hobby.  I really love the subject, but wanted to get my skills up before tackling it.  It's a nice kit, but the Pontos set is insane - definitely try to find it as the added detail from that set is amazing.  

Very cool that you built the Matchbox 1/72 kit.  I also have the 1/72 Revell kit on the shelf with all the Great Little Ships upgrades.  Now that I'm definitely waiting to improve my skills for that as the GLS stuff is pretty amazing, though I think learning to solder the bigger, heavier pieces of PE is a must.

• Like 5

A Tammy Tiger ....not built this one since summer 1984 . It was a random museum purchase rather than something I was desperate to build (I like Panthers more) Also prefer metal tracks to plastic seperate ones these days . Feel a SS Pz Abt 101 Normandy build coming up . I've more references for that than I can shake a tank barrel at. 

5-D52-C55-A-3252-4-F80-B1-DB-5-C1241-CFE

7-A31-EDAB-C4-CC-4-C11-B5-C2-4425-F0936-

Wayyyy back nearly 40 years ...the old rug runner very early moulding . No airbrush so splotch/ dry brushed for cammo . Had a thing for painting insignia rather than using decals.  Hadn't even seen a real Tiger back then . Plastic is now very brittle . Might find some tracks for the old beast though.  

B164-E5-B6-EADC-4-D59-9-ECD-686-E7-B646-

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just had a big box from Andy's Hobby Headquarters dropped off...... Takom AH-64E and a Takom AH-64D ....... I'll get a chance to crack them open and get that up close & personal look at both kits tomorrow.

And ............... I have the ICM CH-54A Tarhe on the way from Sprue Brothers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, today came a kit that I've been contemplating purchasing for some

time. I finally pulled the trigger on this offering from Hobby Boss.

It's their Schneider CA - Armored (83862) in 1/35. An early WW I French tank.

My WW I  model collection is growing! All I need is a bucket of Moss Green or is it

Green Moss paint. For some reason most Copper State Models require this ubiquitous

color. The Takom Mk IV  and Whippet tanks as well. WTH is Moss Green? And, if all tanks

were this color.....how did the combatants know who was who? Anyway, this kit doesn't

require that green. It looks like a decent kit of an interesting subject. It has what looks

Like working tracks and pretty good detail.

943063-24595-97-1080_kindlephoto-144175345.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

My WW I  model collection is growing! All I need is a bucket of Moss Green or is it

Green Moss paint. For some reason most Copper State Models require this ubiquitous

color. The Takom Mk IV  and Whippet tanks as well. WTH is Moss Green? And, if all tanks

were this color.....how did the combatants know who was who? Anyway, this kit doesn't

require that green. It looks like a decent kit of an interesting subject. It has what looks

Like working tracks and pretty good detail.

I know that tank ! 

DSCF6000.jpg

DSCF6004.jpg

DSCF6005.jpg

DSCF6002.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

have another boxing of the Hobby Boss kit and added some Friul tracks for the FT17, because the kit tracks seem to be a bit delicate to assemble. I also added some resin parts and decals from FT ModelTrends to the package, as I will build mine in a version of the Republican army of the Spanish Civil War.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2023 at 3:21 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

Rob, nice score!  Interestingly, this was one of the first two plastic kits I bought from a fellow modeler on MSW to get back into the hobby.  I really love the subject, but wanted to get my skills up before tackling it.  It's a nice kit, but the Pontos set is insane - definitely try to find it as the added detail from that set is amazing.  

Very cool that you built the Matchbox 1/72 kit.  I also have the 1/72 Revell kit on the shelf with all the Great Little Ships upgrades.  Now that I'm definitely waiting to improve my skills for that as the GLS stuff is pretty amazing, though I think learning to solder the bigger, heavier pieces of PE is a must.

I have a Pontos set reserved, lets see how it works out, as it's sometimes a bit complicated to get stuff to my place. After USS Arizona, I'm not that much concerned about the complexity of the brass. I like the addition of turned brass parts and that's why I haven't considered Eduard's PE.
I had my eyes onto the 1/72 Revell kit as well, with the GLS stuff. I decided it's too big for me and I hope the plastic is a bit more up modern standards with the 1/144 kit. I also have no idea, about how well the GLS PE is designed. I learned from my Arizona build, the worse the plastic, the better should be the PE.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 2:00 AM, Bill_S said:

Just got back from Florida, and my Kotare Spitfire was here waiting for me. An awesome looking kitset!

I picked this up before I went on vacation...

DSCN3095-1.jpg

Now you need a 1/48 Enterprise refit to go with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, DocRob said:

I have a Pontos set reserved, lets see how it works out, as it's sometimes a bit complicated to get stuff to my place. After USS Arizona, I'm not that much concerned about the complexity of the brass. I like the addition of turned brass parts and that's why I haven't considered Eduard's PE.
I had my eyes onto the 1/72 Revell kit as well, with the GLS stuff. I decided it's too big for me and I hope the plastic is a bit more up modern standards with the 1/144 kit. I also have no idea, about how well the GLS PE is designed. I learned from my Arizona build, the worse the plastic, the better should be the PE.

Cheers Rob 

Good luck, hope it works out for the Pontos set.  I think it's a little nicer and more comprehensive than the Eduard set as you mentioned (I think you get a wooden deck as well as the turned brass parts).  I believe the 1/144 Revell kit is actually pretty nice on its own - it's just that you can't properly replicate certain ship items like railings, etc. using injection molding.  It's been a while since I looked into it, but I think there is someone on Shapeways who is 3D printing various Flower Class details - though seemed pretty pricey.  In the end, probably more cost effective to go with Pontos.

The GLS set is interesting.  There are a lot of white metal parts (which some look like they have been replaced with resin/printed parts).  The PE looks very good, but it's very thick/heavy.  They recommend soldering the pieces together, which for me at least raises the difficulty quite a few levels since I've never soldered before.  A guy on MSW was building the 1/72 with the GLS set, and it took him a few attempts but then the soldered detail items started looking pretty good.  The 1/72 Revell kit is pretty rough, and it might be a re-pop of the old Matchbox kit.  I believe it's recommended that you sand all the hull plates down, which is quite labor intensive given how big the hull is!  You pretty much just use the hull as a base to add all the GLS stuff.   I think I'm going to need to be in a particular frame of mind to want to tackle that kit.

All that being said, these are really cool ships to model.  Very cool design, the camo schemes are really interesting, and these were pretty beaten up so you can have fun weathering them.  I'm probably a few years away from building them, but I've been thinking of doing the 1/144 in a diorama, and the 1/72 as just a regular static build (way too big for a diorama).  I'm probably going to try and build US versions in each scale - like the Saucy and the Tenacity - but it's hard finding the slight modifications that different ships had.  I did manage to find online the old Matchbox instructions, which allowed you to build the Saucy.  If I remember correctly, there were only a few different parts that you had to swap out and these I think have been carried down in the Revell kits so it might just be a matter of figuring out how to do the numbering and other decal-type items.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, scott_t said:

Just had a big box from Andy's Hobby Headquarters dropped off...... Takom AH-64E and a Takom AH-64D ....... I'll get a chance to crack them open and get that up close & personal look at both kits tomorrow.

And ............... I have the ICM CH-54A Tarhe on the way from Sprue Brothers

Might need more display space as well if you do all three with the rotors out!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DocRob said:

have another boxing of the Hobby Boss kit and added some Friul tracks for the FT17, because the kit tracks seem to be a bit delicate to assemble. I also added some resin parts and decals from FT ModelTrends to the package, as I will build mine in a version of the Republican army of the Spanish Civil War.

Cheers Rob

I remember seeing the FC conversion on their website and considered doing the same.

STAR decals makes a set for Spanish Schnieders. The Spanish Schnieders had a Machine gun port added to the front of the tank, sitting in a kind of trough that was cut

into the glacis plate. Interestingly, the Spanish tank had a man-hole cover added to the hull near to the location of where the spotlight was. The FC modeltrend set includes this.

Anyway, I'm going to try a french tank.....I've got a few tanks that use this kind of camouflage  pattern and I'm going to have to buckle down and try to do this sometime....

I've been putting it off too long! Anyway, when you do your build I'll be sure to follow it.

20_20150326_111500IMG12801024_kindlephoto-11449573.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And FINALLY the box from Ukraine arrived! Sat for 2 weeks in the Kiev main post office... No worries though, arrived in 1 piece!

This one I've been lusting for since it was released, and I'm impressed! This is a well-researched piece, and the details are amazing!

The Reski 32nd F-111A Crew Escape Module!

E1FvfWr.jpg

I'll throw up a quick review where they go!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

So having proposed avoiding Quinta due to their Russian owners , and suggesting Yahu instead, I felt obliged to flash out some of my own cash for a Yahu product to have a look at .

This 3D printed pre made stuff is not my personal idea of modelling , and having stated this I get that lots of people think its a great idea, so no need to go round the roundabout on that debate. Each to their own . 😀

So straight from Poland a 1/48 IP for Tamiya's Mossie . I look forward to using it later this year , you never know I might even be won around to the idea that this is the way to go ....resin ejector seats seem to have worked their way more into my builds of late. 

1-A3707-B4-AD7-D-476-C-BC5-D-76-C14-F5-C

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1