The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

8 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

you have to tell us how you did the sea scape.........

The sea scape is in it's early stages.  After outlining the ship, I just placed blobs of acrylic-based modelling paste in a random manner.  It dries white and shrinks a little bit...  I've used the same stuff for Zimmerit, incidentally...  and I suspect that perfect plastic putty is the same thing...  but I digress....

The rest was just airbrushing cheap acrylic tube paints in various shades of green and blue.  IN the area where the propellers have churned the water, I painted it a bit lighter.  There really is a lot to do on it, yet.

This is my first seascape, using the same materials:

tadaa2_zps68ff0cdc.jpg

tadaa7_zps033b4b9b.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Love the bow wave, absolutely stunning Gaz..........hmmmmm I wonder......

To make that...  I used cotton balls....  or cotton wool depending on where you grew up...  acrylic gel medium, and something cylindrical for it to lay and dry on.   It was so long ago, I'm not even sure of the process...  but others have done much better. 

Since then, with the advent of UV light cured gels, i can imagine that I will use them to speed up the process.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Today I can celebrate finally having unified the foc'sle and battery deck.  Laid on the PE deck hardware, and stained the wooden deck with a grey wash.

P1013262.JPG

P1013263.JPG

P1013264.JPG

Viewed from this angle, this is an impressive broadside, which certainly would have a British battlecruiser Commodore slightly worried ...

Hubert

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Viewed from this angle, this is an impressive broadside, which certainly would have a British battlecruiser Commodore slightly worried ...

Hubert

They were the most modern German battleships at Jutland.  Ten 12-inch guns.  With seven 5.9 inch guns in their secondary battery.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Speaking of ships...

Trumpeter’s new 1/200 Titanic...

No, I’m not ghoulish enough to model that ship, but with a small amount of change, Olympic is a real possibility,... and Olympic as a troopship would be mind blowing.

And Britannic as a Hospital Ship would be a real stunner.

Not many realize that Olympic served reliably on the Liverpool to New York run for decades, and was eventually scrapped as she became obsolete. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anyway....

A bit of decal drudgery.

I believe that the only detail you can really see on fabric covered surfaces is the rib tapes, and maybe some stitching.  But that wavy fabric look is just way off.    So, after sanding the fabric covered surfaces smooth and adding a coat of paint, I have some rib tapes.  WNW rib tapes.

Most of the strips are meant to be 6mm long on ailerons and elevators.  Still, I managed to make each one a bit different in length to the next one.  Anyway...  once paint is on, it should be alright.  Later, during the weathering process, I'll lightly highlight them with a pinwash.

P1013265.JPG

P1013266.JPG

P1013267.JPG

P1013268.JPG

P1013269.JPG

• Like 5

• Administrators

Nice to get this off the SOD.   I’m fascinated by VMF-213. They took a kicking all through the Solomons, yet kept going strong. 

I see a few of these in my future. Another VMF-213 bird, an FAA kite, and absolutely an RNZAF -1A

The funny thing on Tamiya...  I actually don’t like the builds.  They just seem too....  click and paste for my normal build style.  But,..  it’s exactly what I need right now, and these turn into one awesome completed model.  Tony told me many, many times,.. in the doldrums, build a Tamiya. Well, no doldrums, just big pressure in life cleaning up after the storm.

DDB52CF8-7281-4DE8-9BCB-87B840590CB5.jpeg

AA6D6E4D-C3D1-489E-8AD2-6B76E036B3FD.jpeg

A6FA4319-5273-492D-8B94-C28146C61AF8.jpeg

• Like 9

Nice progress there Ernie. Just make sure you don't glue the inner spar of the outer wings to the wing halves. Lots of folks miss that and it screws up the fit. 

Tamiya kits are definitely a low stress build. 

As far as your subjects go, I think we're in alignment there. I've done the VMF-213 bird like yours and I did the spliced RNZAF Corsair. What I have planned  to do are an FAA one- KD115, then another in the temperate scheme, a night fighter Birdcage like Harv's and a tri-(or is it quad?) colour 1A. 

Carl

• Like 7

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I  could almost see this with the US re-arming Japan for self defence postwar could have easily given the JSDAF surplus Corsairs. 

That’d be oh so cool!

A taped together NZ Corsair -1A is to me, the ultimate that can be done with the Tamiya kit.

213’s birds were worn, but the NZ kites were absolutely trashed. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, krow113 said:

There is a custom paint trick I have used for deep black.

Mix the last coats with gloss clear  50/50 and watch that black get a mile deep.

thanks for the tipbut this is anthracite black but will try it on a test piece

Mark

• Like 4