The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

D-Day 75th Anniversary GB interest thread

Just so you guys don’t think that I am a party popper, I picked this little Jeep up. Would that qualify as a valid entry?

I can’t take on anything big at the moment. Will be heading  back to school in August     

E93D0278-D66D-403A-9C3F-3E35A3EE62AF.thumb.jpeg.1d92af23876bde3f18a7ef5adcde032a.jpeg

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Just so you guys don’t think that I am a party popper, I picked this little Jeep up. Would that qualify as a valid entry?

I can’t take on anything big at the moment. Will be heading  back to school in August     

E93D0278-D66D-403A-9C3F-3E35A3EE62AF.thumb.jpeg.1d92af23876bde3f18a7ef5adcde032a.jpeg

Hi Martin, just finished that book a week ago. https://www.amazon.com/SAS-Nazi-Hunters-Damien-Lewis/dp/1787477894

Interesting read and fits your choice. The mentioned Jeeps where used in the Vosges mountains by the SAS in September 1944. The were parachuted along the men and equipment.

Actually I was thinking SAS Jeep too, but as I have everything to equip them for the desert, I decided against.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 3

• Administrators

I've settled on an easy one to start, but it'll be breaking new ground for me.  The White 6 ton, 6X6 hardtop cab cargo truck. Not special, not fancy, not super powerful or whiz-bang, instead, just workaday and everyday common.  IF I have time, I might find a trailer or a gun I can attach to the pintle hook. Maybe a "borrowed" 88"  :)

And just so you know, I'm already looking at resin wheels....

• Like 4

Thanks Ernie, I’ll have a look, great idea. I know SOE were very active after D Day supporting the Marquis and SAS detachments....must admit never built any Matchbox, I think they appeared during my hiatus from the hobby.....

Great choice of the 666.....

• Like 2

• Administrators
4 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

I am heavily leaning toward an F-6A from the 107th, with D-day stripes. 

3_4.jpg

YES!  I was thinking it might have been a very, very good time to build a truly beat up P-51A, but to me, nothing says “Normandy” like a Tiffie...

We’ll give it a try after the 6 ton White. Although I might just do the Allison bird.  I just need to get an accurate spinner....

• Like 2

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Thanks Ernie, I’ll have a look, great idea. I know SOE were very active after D Day supporting the Marquis and SAS detachments....must admit never built any Matchbox, I think they appeared during my hiatus from the hobby.....

Great choice of the 666.....

We Phil, Matchbox kits are a product of the time, lots of moulded on detail with simplified everything, and trenches for panel lines. But the Lizzie is generally an accurate kit and with some minor scratchbuilding turns out great.  I’m sure you’ll love it, and with what’s turning out to be a ground pounder’s GB, an Army Co-Op machine is a great addition.

• Like 2

• Members
4 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I have quite a few things with black crosses that would suit...  But am already committed to too many group builds.  Unless there was  P-40B there...

Yes, but this will be the COOLEST GB! The others can wait! :lol:

• Like 4

• Members

I'm kind of burned out on aircraft so I think I will delve into ground bound subjects.  I picked up the new tool Academy 1/35 Pz IVH and the Dragon "Stummel":

stuff.jpg

I won't be using the those figures but I have a couple sets of HJ grenadiers.  I'd like to do a diorama of 12th SS during the fighting around Caen in July of '44.  Probably no way I can finish at the speed I build but it's something I've wanted to do for a while.

• Like 6