The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

D-Day 75th Anniversary GB interest thread

• Members

Putting out feelers for interest in a D-Day 75th Anniversary GB.  Our last few GBs that we've attempted have been more or less miserable failures.  If we can get enough interest, this is one I'd like to do.  I know real life infringes on our build time but I'm just asking for a legitimate effort.  If we get enough interest we'll do it.  Just asking if you chime in with a "yes", that you actually start a project and show some WIP.

This GB would be open to all subjects, AFV, aircraft and dioramas.

• Like 4

• Administrators

I'll have a go as well. I've been looking for a reason to jump back into an MDC Tiffie or even it might help me choose a subject for the HPH Cat. But I can't jump in until after the US Nats at the start of Aug.  Lanc commitments.

Personally, I think this is a great idea. No pressure, just nice easy builds. Yeah a deadline, but with all the armor possibilities, it should be easily done. I'm not sure I could complete a resin 1/32 airplane to any standard above toddler lever in less than 6 months.

• Like 4

I'm already considering my options, looking through my stash, its going to be hard to decide:

HK 1/32 Mossie Mk.IV, DZ637/AZ-X, No.627 Sqn, Woodhall Spa, Summer 1944 w/invasion stripes

Revell/Lodela 1/32 Bristol Beaufighter TF.X "thimble nose" w/invasion stripes

Tamiya 1/35 U.S. 2.5 Ton 6X6 Cargo Truck

Special Hobby 1/32 Hawker Tempest Mk.V, 3 Sqn. JN862 / JF-Z w/invasion stripes

Dragon 1/35 Tiger I late, SS Pz.Abt. 101 221 | Normandy July 1944

Hasegawa 1/32 P-47D, 353 FS, 354 FG FT*L, 420473 (Maj. Glenn T. Eagleston)  Normandy August 1944

AFV Club 1/35 Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. D, 2 SS Pz.Div. | World War 2 France July 1944

Revell/Matchbox 1/32 Westland Lysander Mk.I/III, 161 Sqn. R9125 / JR-M | RAF Tempsford 1944

Italeri 1/35 LCM-3 Landing Craft, D-Day

• Like 5

• Members
20 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

I’m in, as for a rule, how about any Allied or German aircraft, vehicle, or ship in the European Theater after June 6, 1944?

So, no Eastern Front, no Africa, no Pacific theater.

Yes, this would be Northwestern European theater in mid '44 only.

• Like 5

• Members
11 hours ago, kkarlsen said:

I would be interested, but time is an issue isn't it?

Less than a month to finish anything (6th June)

Cheers: Kent

Kent,

We'll most likely kick off next month and go to the end of the year.

• Like 10

• Members

OK, looks like we've got enough interest to give this a go.  Let me iron out some rules and let's go with a June 6th kick-off date to get everyone a little time to get their projects together.

• Like 6

• Members
9 hours ago, TJTX said:

I'm trying to figure out what would be best.  I have a 109G-10, 190A-8, or 110D.  Would any of these have flown during that time and period?

Fw 190A-8 for sure, the 109G-10 probably too early (G-14 was introduced in the spring of '44) and too late for the 110D (operated in the 1942 time frame).

• Like 3

• Members
3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Hi Mike, 

Would 1/48th SOE Lysander be acceptable as within the time frame this would be achievable......

Phil, unfortunately the 1/48 makes it ineligible for entry.

• Like 3

• Members

OK, here's a rough draft of the rules:

Any subject 1/35 and larger that was operational in NW Europe in the June-August 1944 time frame.  Having a direct tie in to the Normandy campaign would be good, but I realize that aircraft often operated far behind the front lines so I'll leave that to your discretion.  Most air forces from both sides were heavily involved in this campaign so it shouldn't be real hard to come up with something.

We'll probably go until at least the January 2020 but that's open for now.

• Like 3

I have to admit, at first, I was not totally thrilled about that GB. To many projects pointing in completely different directions. But while browsing through my stash I found some candidates. I had to scratch some as too far fetched for the theme, or arriving too late on the scene and of course found some of the usual suspect like a 1/24 Typhoon or a Tamiya Mossie. There are some FW190, but these are reserved for other projects. 

These two (not together), added with a little base and figures are my choices for now.

P1150082.thumb.JPG.3399c565372f410a6aece7293d33f9d7.JPG

P1150083.thumb.JPG.df6082346c8d90d5f01b81ae7adda1fa.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 8