The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

D-Day 75th Anniversary GB interest thread

3 minutes ago, Mikester said:

I'm kind of burned out on aircraft so I think I will delve into ground bound subjects.  I picked up the new tool Academy 1/35 Pz IVH and the Dragon "Stummel":

Same here Mike!  I'm planning to do some Allied armor for this GB, just ordered a Tamiya M4 Sherman "early" and M-10 Wolverine with some goodies, looking forward to building these two!

• Like 6

• Members
1 minute ago, Daywalker said:

Same here Mike!  I'm planning to do some Allied armor for this GB, just ordered a Tamiya M4 Sherman "early" and M-10 Wolverine with some goodies, looking forward to building these two!

Sounds great, Frank!  Glad I'm not the only one! :lol:

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I've settled on an easy one to start, but it'll be breaking new ground for me.  The White 6 ton, 6X6 hardtop cab cargo truck. Not special, not fancy, not super powerful or whiz-bang, instead, just workaday and everyday common.  IF I have time, I might find a trailer or a gun I can attach to the pintle hook. Maybe a "borrowed" 88"  :)

And just so you know, I'm already looking at resin wheels....

I am sure you guys are more than well aware of this site, but just in case, they have lots of details... including the wheels you may be looking for Ernie...

http://www.lzmodels.com

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Mikester said:

I'm kind of burned out on aircraft so I think I will delve into ground bound subjects.  I picked up the new tool Academy 1/35 Pz IVH and the Dragon "Stummel":

I won't be using the those figures but I have a couple sets of HJ grenadiers.  I'd like to do a diorama of 12th SS during the fighting around Caen in July of '44.  Probably no way I can finish at the speed I build but it's something I've wanted to do for a while.

Mike, you're not the only one.  This looks like it might be a serious breakout for some of us.  I'm actually really looking forward to this.   And somewhere in my stash I have a German halftrack with a resin IR nightlight conversion of some kind. I might, A. see if the timeline is right, and B. Give it a shot. Who knows, I might even start to like these things

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Guard your Hobbycraft P-51A's. It doesn't look like we'll get any more for quite a few years.  I expect they'll get to be like hen's teeth. 

They have been oop for quite a while now. Saw one on ebay yesterday.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

They have been oop for quite a while now. Saw one on ebay yesterday.

That’s mine, the very last Hobbycraft P-51A I had. I had a huge stash a couple years ago, I think I had over a dozen, sold them off or traded them slowly, I’m keeping my MK.1a for the group build. 

• Like 3

I found this colorized photo of a B-52 initial production.  I believe this is a raid over the Clunkmeisters  house in order to stop the production of crazy ideas.  In light of this unique historical picture I will be making a B-52 build to celebrate the raid.......which failed.......horribly. 

65268_526728500691594_422818785_n.jpg.ed56524636e97e1680ada4f56ba22a93.jpg

• Like 6

• Members

Here's one that might be interesting:

251 hotchkiss.png

Can't find a kit of the 25 mm Hotchkiss but the Japanese Type 96 AA gun was a license built copy of the Hotchkiss gun.  Shapeways does one in 3D print that could be adapted to a single mount.

hotchkiss.png

Would definitely be unique!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mikester said:

Would definitely be unique!

That it would!

Illustration shows the gun mounted a little too far forward; period shot has the Commander between the gun and the bulkhead, to achieve the same positions he would be standing on top of the Driver in the drawing. But repositioning the gun is easy compared to actually sourcing one in the first place.

The Sonder 10 I'm considering doing is from the 21st Panzer Division, they had 3 in Normandy compared against hundreds of captured French Sd.Kfz. 304/307's all pressed into service... 1/35th scale versions of these are rare as Hen's teeth.

• Like 5

On 5/22/2019 at 1:11 PM, Wumm said:

The Sonder 10 I'm considering doing is from the 21st Panzer Division, they had 3 in Normandy compared against hundreds of captured French Sd.Kfz. 304/307's all pressed into service... 1/35th scale versions of these are rare as Hen's teeth.

Found one!

http://www.brachmodel.it/cataloghi.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=garden_flypage.tpl&product_id=183&category_id=1

BM99-1.jpg.3d5d5a87131025da753c2b222a7476b3.jpg

Wondering if I can source a 20mm Breda now...

• Like 4