The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Background music....

GazzaS

Usually, I listen to crime TV while building models.  But you can only listen to human suffering and human monstrosity so much...

I'm over pop music, and have listened to 'my music' so much....   my music is classic rock...  more British than American...

....I've listened to my music so much that the only time I listen to it anymore is is when I'm in the ute.

So today I started my modelling time with some Wagner....  Die Walküre.   ...and finished up with a few Pavarotti concerts.

Anyone else here listen to classical music?

• Like 9

Varied of my side, and most of the time, silence, which is OK ...

What I know is that you start with listening the Walküre, and you end with a desire to build a 1/32 Huey, or « Götterdammerung » and end-up with a wrecked Ta-152 or Me-262 :) 

Hubert

PS: « When I listen to some Wagner, I finish with a furious desire to invade Poland », to quote Woody Alen :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

I have some thousand Vinyls of every kind of music from classic music to rock, punk and jazz and just a little bit of selected pop. I have very diversified preferences, but pick only the cherries to my taste. Lots of my music is digitized, but I rarely hear music as a background. Maybe that's because there are only two elevators on my island :D.
When I hear music, it's 90% vinyl, sitting in front of my good system savoring the music with a drink on my side, or as background as it gets, on the terrace with my small turntable.
Vinyl, with only about twenty minutes of music on one side forces you to listen to the music, my digital copies are only used while barbecuing, when I prefer to turn the steaks, not the vinyl.
Since leaving Berlin, some years ago, I rarely hear music in the car and enjoy the silence or the roar of the wind, driving open toped.
While modelling, I don't hear music, it's distracting me somehow. 
You get the idea, when it's time for music, it's mostly time for music only. 

What I really miss on my tiny island, are good concerts. In Berlin, I used to go to concerts very often and some of these were epic and I will never forget them, because this is where music is made, on stage. We have some rock and reggae concerts here and some classic concerts too, but it's not the same.
With Covid around, I fear for the worst for the musical business, specially were the performance is involved.

Cheers Rob

• Like 8

Occasionally I'll listen to some classical - Mussorgsky, Katchaturian, Tchaikovsky, etc (hmm, why I haven't I built more Russian stuff??), but generally it's punk, metal and hard rock most of the time. It needs to be loud to be heard over the compressor is my excuse!

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

I usually put a movie on when I'm at my bench. It's generally something I've seen before so it's more of a white noise sort of thing. 

The house we lived in when I was around 8 years old was a couple hundreds metres from the highway as well as a fairly busy railroad corridor into the city so I got used to background noise. As a result I find silence a bit off putting. 

For music, I'm mostly rock, with some industrial and electronic thrown into the mix.

Thanks to the opening of the  trailer to the Battlefield video game, I've ended up with a soft spot for the Bonnie Tyler song "Total Eclipse of the Heart" :sofa:

• Like 10

I actually just bought myself some Skull Candy bluetooth headphones mainly just for the bench. Mostly rock and roll for me with a bit of the 80s new wave stuff thrown in. Apocalyptica is the closest I get to classical, but I do enjoy me some Andrea Bocceli once and a while.

• Like 11

I tend to put spotify on and have a few albums on there that i use. But i can go from Nordic/Viking folk music to heavy metal. I tend to sty around the heavy rock/metal area though. So anything from Eivor and Skald to Jinjer and Slipknot :)

• Like 7

I have a very eclectic taste of music from Elgar and Bruch to Springsteen to Emmylou Harris to Moby to This Mortal Coil to Trad and modern Jazz and .....you get the drift.........Pink Floyd is always a good go to followed by Fleet Foxes / Mumford &Sons........ie folky.......but no punk or heavy metal sorry.......

• Like 8

2 hours ago, AlanG said:

Nordic/Viking folk music

Interesting!  Might have to look some up.  I think my last exposure to any folk music was in elementary school where we had an hour of singing with the music teacher for a few years.  That was American Folk music.  There was no singing about battle, plunder, and the other Viking staples...lol

• Like 5

12 hours ago, GusMac said:

Occasionally I'll listen to some classical - Mussorgsky, Katchaturian, Tchaikovsky, etc (hmm, why I haven't I built more Russian stuff??), but generally it's punk, metal and hard rock most of the time. It needs to be loud to be heard over the compressor is my excuse!

I like a bit of Tchaikovsky and Shostakovich, myself.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Usually, I listen to crime TV while building models.  But you can only listen to human suffering and human monstrosity so much...

Most of my building happens on the weekends, so occurs to the backdrop of the various TV cooking shows that my Wife might be watching at the time... So a similar, yet different kind of human suffering. 

If I'm alone at home, music if played at all extends to the familiar that invokes good memories without needing to think about lyrics or specific refrains. Steely Dan's Gaucho, ELO's Discovery, Box Scaggs' Silk Degrees, The Police  Zenyatta Mondatta or INXS Shaboo Shoobah are examples... Middle of the Road or Yacht Rock stuff from the 70's and 80's. Whenever Chicago's If You Leave Me Now is on the radio, I find I'm immediately transported back to the mid-70's and the yellow and brown 1/72 Matchbox Bf109 kit I was working on at the time when that song was being played four times a day. It seems to be ingrained somehow.

S

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just now, Wumm said:

Most of my building happens on the weekends, so occurs to the backdrop of the various TV cooking shows that my Wife might be watching at the time... So a similar, yet different kind of human suffering. 

If I'm alone at home, music if played at all extends to the familiar that invokes good memories without needing to think about lyrics or specific refrains. Steely Dan's Gaucho, ELO's Discovery, Box Scaggs' Silk Degrees, The Police  Zenyatta Mondatta or INXS Shaboo Shoobah are examples... Middle of the Road or Yacht Rock stuff from the 70's and 80's. Whenever Chicago's If You Leave Me Now is on the radio, I find I'm immediately transported back to the mid-70's and the yellow and brown 1/72 Matchbox Bf109 kit I was working on at the time when that song was being played four times a day. It seems to be ingrained somehow.

S

My wife gets tired of the crime, too.  But if she gets a chance to put on music...  I'm doomed to some stuff I don't mind, and some feline wailing when she plays stuff by her favorite feminine artists.  I call is "Dying cat music".  Honestly...  except for Abba (who I don't like a whole lot) I don't much care for female lead vocals.

RE:  Cooking shows....   I might find myself too interests in them...lol

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

My wife gets tired of the crime, too.  But if she gets a chance to put on music...  I'm doomed to some stuff I don't mind, and some feline wailing when she plays stuff by her favorite feminine artists.  I call is "Dying cat music".  Honestly...  except for Abba (who I don't like a whole lot) I don't much care for female lead vocals.

RE:  Cooking shows....   I might find myself too interests in them...lol

Personally don't mind female vocals if in the right register. Often listen to Girlschool, Lacuna Coil or Skunk Anansie. The last mentioned are worth checking out as their lead singer, Skin, has an amazing vocal range. They were championed a lot by Lemmy of Motorhead quite a few years ago and they (Motorhead) were often supported by female fronted bands such as Skew Siskin and Girlschool among others. 

I do know what you mean about the Mariah Carey's and such of the world. Just hit the bloody note, you don't need to warble all around the damn thing....

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Personally don't mind female vocals if in the right register

I don't hear much pop music, but I adore Roisin Murphy and Moloko with her as a singer. This is more than simple pop music to me and I like her approach. With Covid around, she decided to produce a disco album (definitely not her best, but so what), just o make you dance, in times, where it isn't appropriate. And now, when performing on stage is no option, she covers her own songs in her living room or somewhere on Ibiza in lockdown, with only some guitars accompanying her, beside an old dog and a tractor. She's a true goddess.

Two examples of new and old songs here:
Róisín Murphy Live @ Home in Ibiza – Murphy's Law - YouTube
Róisín Murphy - The Time Is Now (Acoustic) (Live @ Home for Festival Marvin 9.5) - YouTube

... but it's Friday night and my amp is heating up along with some red wine and then it's setting the belt of my turntable to 45 /min and put on Massive Attacks 100th Window for a little massage of the stomach muscles. Good night Señhores.

Cheers Rob

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Sade, Tina Arena, Katie Noonan and Annie Lennox are also on my list, along with more recently Shirley Manson and Florence Welch... All Women who can actually sing and be heard at the back of an Auditorium, instead of wailing in glottal falsetto as seems to be the current vogue. My Wife is a big Pink fan, sometimes she puts a DVD on and I have that in the background. It's middling enough that I can model to it, I class her as a better Performer than strictly a Singer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, GusMac said:

Personally don't mind female vocals if in the right register. Often listen to Girlschool, Lacuna Coil or Skunk Anansie.

Hmm i just love a bit of Cristina Scabbia and Amy Lee when at the bench. Best i stop now. I'm drooling again

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Me?  In the car I leave the radio tuned to Chicago radio station WFMT A classical music

station. When I'm working at my bench, I put the tv on a news channel and leave it.

However, so much of what I hear on the news lately I find truly irritating (I'll leave my

Political views out of this) so the news may no longer be an option. My mother suggested listening to audio books. I think I may try this. This would be, in effect, combining my two favorite pastimes.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

IMG_20210510_184735.thumb.jpg.c330f1570afa143128ba22d06a92b293.jpg

The worst part about 'The Acid Test' is it means the end of the Album.

Unable to model to the Chemical Brothers... Can't help but see the video clips in my head from tracks like 'Let Forever Be' or 'Star Guitar' . Those bloody Trains! Too distracting.

S

• Like 2