Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Volcano eruption on La Palma, my neighbor island

DocRob

I'm touched, as of yesterday afternoon, I saw a big cloud over La  Palma from my living room, which was caused by the eruption of a volcano on La Palma, the most north west island of the Canarias archipelago.
There was a warning raised since mid of last week, but all the scientists said, they don't believe in a eruption soon. So far for the prognosis.
Peoples houses are burning, where the inhabitants had their morning cafe yesterday, like we had ours today, it is kind of unreal.
All my wishes go to the people of La Palma, who have lost their homes and hope, the volcano will quiten soon.

Canary Islands: Volcano erupts on La Palma destroying several homes | News | DW | 19.09.2021

View from my living room, soon after the first eruption

image.thumb.png.49a98d7664b0dd52b4ec6525f81337c7.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 9

I thought about you when I saw the news. Your island is even smaller than La Palma. I can easily imagine the disruption such an eruption can cause on these small postal stamps in the middle of the ocean.

Take care my frind.

Hubert

• Like 7

1 hour ago, HubertB said:

I thought about you when I saw the news. Your island is even smaller than La Palma. I can easily imagine the disruption such an eruption can cause on these small postal stamps in the middle of the ocean.

Take care my frind.

Thank you for your kind words my friend. In the moment we are not affected on my island, other than a slight distant rumble in the night, but this makes the sensation even stranger with that eruption happening only maybe 60-70 km to the north.
Until now, no people were harmed, but 100 houses are destroyed and there are evacuations ongoing for about 5000 people.
Everybody living on the Canary islands knows about the risk of possible eruptions, but there were no land based ones since 50 years. It makes you feel small for sure.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I love the Canary Islands and when there is an eruption my thoughts turn to all those who can lose everything ....... even their life unfortunately.
I live in Italy and here the eruptions are quite frequent and also beautiful ... just to watch!
We hope that everything will be resolved quickly and without too much damage to the inhabitants.
Thanks for sharing the photo and your thoughts.

George

• Like 6

6 hours ago, aquatarkus10 said:

I love the Canary Islands and when there is an eruption my thoughts turn to all those who can lose everything ....... even their life unfortunately.
I live in Italy and here the eruptions are quite frequent and also beautiful ... just to watch!
We hope that everything will be resolved quickly and without too much damage to the inhabitants.
Thanks for sharing the photo and your thoughts.

5 hours ago, mark31 said:

I have heard that in the news

Take care and one good thing every one at the moment is safe let's hope that everything go back to normal asap for all the people there

8 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

Rob, my first thoughts it may have been your island, thank goodness it wasn’t…….stay safe……..

Thank you for your supportive words, George, Mark and Phil, living here on a tiny island is always more nature bound, than living in a large city. There are storms, rain, the dryness of the Kalima, you get used to live with that and you can prepare yourself up to a certain level. Volcano eruptions are somewhat different, there is no avoiding, preparing or solution, you have to sit it out, nothing stops the lava, except the sea.
I hope the best for the people of La Palma. The scientist claim that the eruption can be a case of days or months, not very precise.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Glad your safe Rob but truly unfortunate for those who've lost their houses.

Saw some footage on the news taken from about 6 kms away and the noise was astonishing. The local eye witness described it as sounding like a squadron of fighter jets taking off and he wasn't exaggerating! 😲

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

I've never lived anywhere geologically unstable.  My heart goes out to those who suffer from nature's fury.  Glad that it wasn't your island, Rob.

34 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Glad your safe Rob but truly unfortunate for those who've lost their houses.

Saw some footage on the news taken from about 6 kms away and the noise was astonishing. The local eye witness described it as sounding like a squadron of fighter jets taking off and he wasn't exaggerating! 😲

33 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Glad to hear it wasn't your island Rob. 

Hopefully those that are affected will be able to return to normal soon.

Muchas gracias Amigos, for your supportive words. Living in Berlin was safer, only some thunderstorms in the end of summer and some fierce cold nights in wintertime, but here you are closer to nature, which mostly is a true benefit, but can turn into the opposite like now. We had an eruption south of my island in the sea in 2011. Southern parts of the island were evacuated by this time and there were a lot of earthquakes accompanying the eruption. The fishermen were forbidden to fish in these areas for a year, but now a decade after, nature is even more vivid and versatile than before in these areas.
I can imagine the nerve shattering noise of the eruption, when I'm able to hear the murmur here on my island. Normally I can't even hear the waves up here at 600 m, if they are smaller than lets say 4 m.

Cheers Rob

• Like 7

18 hours ago, harv said:

Rob, thanks for letting us know. I have not heard a single word here regarding this. So, please keep us informed, if you don't mind. You take care of you and yours.....harv

15 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Sad to hear how people's lives can be so suddenly and drastically be disrupted by events so totally out of their control. My grandmother, on my dad's side, came from the Canary islands.

La Palma seemed to have luck, as there was no instant explosion, but there are now eight places, were there are lava fountains, luckily these are in uninhabited terrain. The lava stream though is flowing downhill towards the ocean, destroying more than a hundred houses on it's way until now and per today will reach the Atlantic, which will cause lots of toxic fumes. Lets hope for more eastern winds. 

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Very said news and thank goodness you and your family are safe. My heart goes out to those that have lost everything.

34 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Not only to lose your house and all your belongings, but also your land as well. I can't imagine how devastating this would be.

So grateful that your Island was spared this tragedy Doc...

Thank you Peter and Steve, yesterday we had our first tiny encounter with the volcano as the wind turned southbound we got the ugly breath of the eruption, causing an acid taste in the mouth and some headaches. Nothing serious compared to the tragedy unfolding.
Volcano scientists claim that the eruption will last between 24 and 84 days, but they were wrong with the predicted time of the eruption too, so I take it's just an educated guess.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, harv said:

Rob, I've seen news reports that there is more action going on there. Are you ok ? harv

1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

It is almost surreal how out of touch with the nature we are. Staring at the cellphone, not realizing that there’s so much more to life then just my battery charger.stay safe Rob

Hi Harv and Martin, as strange as it sounds, it's usual business with the volcano, bad as it is. It crept into the daily routine and some scientists claim that there is a slight reduction in activity over the last days. As there are no new lave streams, there is not so much new destruction of houses and farms. So far there are no casualties.
The problems are the amount of ash, which in some places of La Palma is a some meters thick layer, covering everything and the toxic gases from the volcano.

On my island we notice lots of tiny earthquakes, barely noticeable, but they are there and sometimes there is some distant rumble from the eruption. When the wind hits us bad, we have a lot of black ash in the air and I have an acrid taste in my mouth since the volcano erupted first.

Of course, these effects are much stronger on La Palma itself and I feel sorry for the inhabitants there. I read, that the use of anti depresiva and sleeping pills has multiplied on La Palma, which I take as an indicator for the state of mind over there, it rattles the nerves even here, where everything is on normal go.

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JohnB said:

That would be interesting to watch. FROM AFAR! LOL

There are lots of pics and live feeds in the internet, John. I would prefer to be a little further away, than I am ;).

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The volcano hasn't lost a beat over two months of eruptive activity. Yesterday was the first time, we could see the sky glow red from the lava. This was caused by very clear weather conditions and a very untypical light wind from the west. The picture was taken during black nighttime, but the phone cameras automatic up leveled the lighting.

Maybe today, I try a shot with a decent camera and a tripod.

Cheers Rob

1965061164_WhatsAppImage2021-11-19at21_26_30.thumb.jpg.6946242c5e093d4af6bd7a7dc739918a.jpg

• Like 5