The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Finally finished a model after 3 years! - 1/16 Camel skeleton

Finally grabbed this old thing off the SOD just before Christmas, and made myself wrap it up. Haven't finished anything for around 3 years! It's the old Model Airways kit. If you've ever built one, they really aren't very good kits, but they look the part, as long as you do a little of your own scratching and don't look too close. The only things I made from scratch on this one were the prop (I screwed up the one that came with the kit) and the cowl. It didn't come with a cowl, and I thought it would look better with one, so I 3D modeled it and printed it. Had to do it 2 or 3 times to get the fit right, but it finally got it. Thanks for looking!

resized 1.JPG

resized 2.JPG

resized 3.JPG

resized 4.JPG

resized 5.JPG

resized 6.JPG

resized 7.JPG

resized 8.JPG

20191228_064505.jpg

20191228_064510.jpg

20191228_070235.jpg

20221023_143006.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Wow Tim!  Its NAKED!!!  :hsmack:  Really a cool build, extremely detailed, and very impressive 3D printed cowling - looks great.  Did you drill all of the rivets/holes around the cowling opening?  That is a lot of work - whew.  The engine is a work of art by itself - and what did you make the prop out of?  That looks super.

Nice work!

Chris

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CANicoll said:

Wow Tim!  Its NAKED!!!  :hsmack:  Really a cool build, extremely detailed, and very impressive 3D printed cowling - looks great.  Did you drill all of the rivets/holes around the cowling opening?  That is a lot of work - whew.  The engine is a work of art by itself - and what did you make the prop out of?  That looks super.

Nice work!

Chris

Yep, I drilled them with a tiny drill bit by hand. The prop was carved from some laminated basswood. The prop and engine turn, too!

• Like 6

Wow, what a stunner. I don't know about the base kit and it's shortcomings, but yours shows nothing of it. I love these skeletal airframes of the period. The printed cowling looks great and without, it wouldn't have looked Camel enough. 

Cheers Rob 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Tim 

I am very impressed  by your 3 Dimensional  work incorporated  into your EXQUISITE  build.

I love the skeletal NAKED build.

:respect:

Your skills are  AMAZING  & your STUNNING  Camel has taken MY breath away.

KUDOS Tim on a GORGEOUS  built model.

:notworthy:  :unworthy:

:wub:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful work Tim, the finished result appears to be worth all of the pain building it.  I have contemplated this kit many times, would you be willing to share the file for the 3D printed cowl?  I would love to print one if you are willing to share.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daywalker said:

Beautiful work Tim, the finished result appears to be worth all of the pain building it.  I have contemplated this kit many times, would you be willing to share the file for the 3D printed cowl?  I would love to print one if you are willing to share.

Of course I would, anytime!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...