The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

Are there any of these destroyed in combat, yet?

They would need to see combat first. I may be wrong, but right now, they seem to be only good for parades on the Red Square … and then not all of them :rolleyes:

Hubert

• Like 6

8 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

It's their Honda Monkey-125 (14134) in 1/12 scale. I saw it while browsing

I have the same in stash, along with a dedicated decal sheet for some special versions of the monkey. It will be a fun-in-between build for me in the next time.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HubertB said:

They would need to see combat first. I may be wrong, but right now, they seem to be only good for parades on the Red Square … and then not all of them :rolleyes:

Hubert

Yes, does look like there are more of them sitting on modeller's shelves than there are functional units. They've even been sending out reconditioned T-62s before they've sent in any of these.

• Like 5

Some more stuff today.......

From Sprue Brothers ; another Tamiya kit of an unusual subject, their SIMCA 5 Staff Car

German Army (35321). The kit looks good , being very well-molded and well engineered,

as you would expect from Tamiya, but tiny! Some of the parts are very delicately molded,

especially the suspension bits. It should be a quick build. Options include a civilian version. The SIMCA was a French licensed version of the FIAT 500 "Topolino". 

Interestingly, in small print, it says on the box;  " Manufactured under licence from

Peugeot". It's hard to imagine German troops driving around in these tiny cars.

Also coming today two 23ml bottles of Tamiya acrylic paint ....XF-20 and XF-65.

Good stuff.

DSCN0839_kindlephoto-43774138.jpg

DSCN0838_kindlephoto-43825370.jpg

DSCN0841_kindlephoto-43872045.jpg

385nsu04ir4_kindlephoto-36938.jpg

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

Some more stuff today.......

From Sprue Brothers ; another Tamiya kit of an unusual subject, their SIMCA 5 Staff Car

German Army (35321). The kit looks good , being very well-molded and well engineered,

as you would expect from Tamiya, but tiny! Some of the parts are very delicately molded,

especially the suspension bits. It should be a quick build. Options include a civilian version. The SIMCA was a French licensed version of the FIAT 500 "Topolino". 

Interestingly, in small print, it says on the box;  " Manufactured under licence from

Peugeot". It's hard to imagine German troops driving around in these tiny cars.

Also coming today two 23ml bottles of Tamiya acrylic paint ....XF-20 and XF-65.

Good stuff.

DSCN0839_kindlephoto-43774138.jpg

DSCN0838_kindlephoto-43825370.jpg

DSCN0841_kindlephoto-43872045.jpg

385nsu04ir4_kindlephoto-36938.jpg

Man...   that is a tiny car.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, DocRob said:

I have the same in stash, along with a dedicated decal sheet for some special versions of the monkey. It will be a fun-in-between build for me in the next time.

Cheers Rob

Yes, I think it will be fun to make this little monkey. It will require a different skill-set

from military models...and different paints. Some of these paints only available in

Tamiya's spray lacquers.....Camel yellow for instance. I may buy the spray cans and

decant the paint from them to use in my airbrush. I know the red metallic lacquer can

be purchased in bottles from Tamiya.... In this case I'm looking for the Tamiya lacquer

thinner that has the retarder in it....can't find it in stock anywhere. A question... Can 

mr. Leveling thinner be used with Tamiya lacquer paint? I'm not sure if Tamiya makes

an Acrylic red metallic paint...I'll have to see. The instructions of the kit tells you how

to simulate the anodized finish on the forks of the motorcycle.... Interesting.

Can't wait to see your take on this kit....I'm sure yours will be great!

Paul.

• Like 3

On 10/27/2022 at 7:15 PM, belugawhaleman said:

Something a little different came today from Tower Hobbies.

Yes, It's a Tamiya kit, but not in 1/35 and not an armor subject.

It's their Honda Monkey-125 (14134) in 1/12 scale. I saw it while browsing

on Tower Hobbies; it was relatively cheap at $ 30.00 with my rewards discount,

and I thought it would make a fun project. It looks like a nice little kit.

Also from Master Model came a barrel set for my recently purchased Takom M3 Lee.

It's their, Model M3 Lee/Grant 75mm M2 L/31 Short & 37mm M6 gun Barrels (TAK kit)

(MASGM35030). Looks good.

Other items coming today; a metric miniature drill bit set and two bottles of

Tamiya acrylic paint....XF-49 (23ml) Khaki. 

DSCN0832_kindlephoto-30867872.jpg

DSCN0833_kindlephoto-30924677.jpg

I had a 1971 Monkey growing up.  Dad brought it home from Japan and since he was the Loadmaster, it was kind of easy for him. 
When they came out with the new 125 it was all I could do not to buy one. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

I had a 1971 Monkey growing up.  Dad brought it home from Japan and since he was the Loadmaster, it was kind of easy for him. 
When they came out with the new 125 it was all I could do not to buy one. 

I remember trying out a neighbor's monkey back in the 70's. I had a Yamaha YZ-80 back

then. Tamiya had a 1/6 scale model of the early monkey...they reintroduced it a while

back as a " fortieth anniversary" boxing....would be an interesting build.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Yes, I think it will be fun to make this little monkey. It will require a different skill-set

from military models...and different paints. Some of these paints only available in

Tamiya's spray lacquers.....Camel yellow for instance. I may buy the spray cans and

decant the paint from them to use in my airbrush. I know the red metallic lacquer can

be purchased in bottles from Tamiya.... In this case I'm looking for the Tamiya lacquer

thinner that has the retarder in it....can't find it in stock anywhere. A question... Can 

mr. Leveling thinner be used with Tamiya lacquer paint? I'm not sure if Tamiya makes

an Acrylic red metallic paint...I'll have to see. The instructions of the kit tells you how

to simulate the anodized finish on the forks of the motorcycle.... Interesting.

Can't wait to see your take on this kit....I'm sure yours will be great!

This is, what I have planned for my Monkey, Paul. I will use Tamiya's lacquer paints, which are great to work with. They can be thinned with Mr. Levelling thinner without problems. I usually mix them up to two thirds of thinner and one third of LP-color.

I used Tamiya's Lacquer paints on different occasions and they are perfect for car and motorcycle modelling. My Ford GT and my Ducati Panigale build of last year were exclusively painted with LP-colors.
The most tempting and simultaneously rewarding part of bike builds is the replication of the different materials with their typical shine and reflectivity, like plastic and metal. Modern bikes call for more than chrome and aluminum, you have different types of steel, light metals like aluminum, anodized or not, titanium, magnesium, right down my alley :D

image.png.48820d9de60a503ed5009412cc90532d.png

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

A question... Can 

mr. Leveling thinner be used with Tamiya lacquer paint?

I do it all the time and haven't had any issues. In fact, it's my go to thinner for Tamiya acrylics, lacquers, Mr Color, and AK Real Colors. 

Carl

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

This baby.

Cool thang Martin, I bought a disc sander from Proxxon last year, which really helped for my wooden sailing boat build. I wouldn't use it for resin though. Just too many particles in the air, even with the vac cleaner added.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

On 10/30/2022 at 8:44 AM, DocRob said:

Cool thang Martin, I bought a disc sander from Proxxon last year, which really helped for my wooden sailing boat build. I wouldn't use it for resin though. Just too many particles in the air, even with the vac cleaner added.

Cheers Rob

Well, saw dust, or any kind of wood dust, is just as dangerous than resin dust. Wearing a mask is the only way to preserve your health.

Hubert

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

I was holding my breath 😂, but you’re absolutely right Rob , resin dust is super dangerous and I have to figure out a way around it. 
In the meantime this kitchen appliance arrived. 

3566CDD2-4D3A-45BD-9FC3-929586D48814.jpeg

I got an itty bitty one from Ebay for 20 bucks and is just big enough to hold an airbrush or jewelry.  How much that one run you?

• Like 2