Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

A couple of minor items today.....

First, from Tamiya, is their TAM 12666 1/35 Tamiya Panther Ausf D Photo-Etched

Grille Set. For the Panther kit I got recently.

Also, from Eduard;  EDUEX666 1/48 Mask P-38F P-38G Lightning (TAM kit)

for the Tamiya P-38 I got recently.

DSCN1127_kindlephoto-19787628.jpg

DSCN1126_kindlephoto-19845166.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Couldn’t help myself after seeing one done over on LSP. I’ve had the Wolfpack conversion and the EJ kit in my stash for years now planning on the blue Panthers scheme.  But when I saw this, kind of made me glad I didn’t build it yet. 

43A4A0A3-A1C8-4084-9EEA-15AFAF966259.thumb.jpeg.eb86d839eeb886e134b7f7008ef87621.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bill_S said:

Saw this on Amazon for a great price. Now the only kit with a figure that I'm missing is the MvR Albatros.

DSCN3135-1.jpg

Cool, I'd love to  get a WNW kit....the only one I think I'd be able to accomplish

would be the little Junkers monoplane....or a DVII....without much rigging....

Also ...a bit too expensive.... Oh, I could buy one....but to screw one up....that

would be well, heartbreaking! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Saw this on Amazon for a great price. Now the only kit with a figure that I'm missing is the MvR Albatros.

I have the same kit and will cover it in Aviattic's linen finish decals instead of painting. The decals are still in the mail, along some sets of spoked wheels from CSM for my early WWI German birds, finely 3D printed. Are you planning to WIP the Fokker, Bill?

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

3 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Cool, I'd love to  get a WNW kit....the only one I think I'd be able to accomplish

would be the little Junkers monoplane....or a DVII....without much rigging....

Also ...a bit too expensive.... Oh, I could buy one....but to screw one up....that

would be well, heartbreaking! 

I built some WNW kits, Paul and with the first one, I had the same reservations like you. It's a learning curve, but it's manageable. The kits are absolutely fantastic and hard to screw up. Like you said, a simple rigging job helps at the beginning, but it's not so hard to do. The difficulty is the price tag now, with the D.VII with the ever lasting demand for the type.

Another option would be another manufacturer. There are CSM, Roden, MikroMir and a lot of resin producers around.

I built the MikroMir Fokker D.VIII and it's a crude cheap kit, which needed a lot of extra attention, but with some scratching and detailing you have a nice bird with only a tiny bit of rigging.

IMG_8288.thumb.JPG.a5d27b95f2a4c711acd8622c1927c8db.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Some goods arrived today. You might think the primer is nothing special, but it becomes harder to get the stuff sent to my island. Some Spanish vendors don't send these jars to my island anymore. This packet made it through from Germany.

The spoked wheels are from Copper State models and will be used on my Albatros B.II and Stahltaube. A third set, I may use for my Fokker E.II. The Italian chap will be an addition to my lately finished Lancia ICM.

P1000579.thumb.JPG.a0fc9ec40af539f949e8ef237222f8b2.JPG

The spoked wheels are luckily safely packed in boxes with padding material and separated in their bags with a staple.

P1000580.thumb.JPG.c83d7938974ce37733f2260298d24b91.JPG

And they look ABSOLUTELY FREAKING MARVELLOUS :respect:.

P1000583.thumb.JPG.6251a24c84fea638dadf6657225f40d7.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Wow @DocRob, those wheels look fantastic!  I picked up a couple of spoked wheels from UMM (the spokes are in brass), but will have to look at Copper State's offerings too now that I see your pictures.  

@ScottsGT, that camo scheme is incredible!  Good thing I don't build modern fighters, as I'd be tempted to buy a kit just for that scheme, but that still is awfully tempting!

• Like 5

Those spiked wheels look impressive. 

For the Mr Surfacer, have you seen the Aqueous version? Basically it works the same but you thin it with Tamiya X20A thinner instead of lacquer thinner. It works just like the regular Mr Surfacer. It may be easier to get that sent through the mail as it isn't a lacquer. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

For the Mr Surfacer, have you seen the Aqueous version? Basically it works the same but you thin it with Tamiya X20A thinner instead of lacquer thinner. It works just like the regular Mr Surfacer. It may be easier to get that sent through the mail as it isn't a lacquer. 

Thanks Carl, it seems more and more vendors don't send chemicals in larger jars than 30ml. I can only guess, it's the same with the aqueous version, but will keep it in mind, if my usual supply dries up.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Wow @DocRob, those wheels look fantastic!  I picked up a couple of spoked wheels from UMM (the spokes are in brass), but will have to look at Copper State's offerings too now that I see your pictures.  

@ScottsGT, that camo scheme is incredible!  Good thing I don't build modern fighters, as I'd be tempted to buy a kit just for that scheme, but that still is awfully tempting!

Well that’s the hard part!  Wolfpack and Tamiya have both discontinued these. I was surprised to see DNModels offer a stencil set of something that has been OOP for many, many years. 

I did reach out to DN and ask about a Splinter mask set for the 1/32 F-35 from Italeri. They said they are considering it for the Trumpeter kit.  Told them close enough and please do it! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Doing the Tomcat has given me a bit of a push to do more carrier based aircraft. Always fancied the A6 but just didn't have room for a 1/32 version. So picked this up for a good price on Amazon of all places with a voucher I got for my birthday.

IMG_20230524_161118.thumb.jpg.83021af03984a91ee12d4b12e41e0ec9.jpg

Seems to be regarded as one of the better efforts out of the Trumpy/HB stable and gets better reviews than the Kinetic version, we'll see.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, GusMac said:

Doing the Tomcat has given me a bit of a push to do more carrier based aircraft. Always fancied the A6 but just didn't have room for a 1/32 version. So picked this up for a good price on Amazon of all places with a voucher I got for my birthday.

IMG_20230524_161118.thumb.jpg.83021af03984a91ee12d4b12e41e0ec9.jpg

Seems to be regarded as one of the better efforts out of the Trumpy/HB stable and gets better reviews than the Kinetic version, we'll see.

Very Cool!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GusMac said:

I’ve recently started down the route of jets in 48th. I have F16 and F18 both Kinetic awaiting. Looking forward to your build……

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I only have a finite amount of display space Phil, so 48th just works better for the big jets now. I'm loathe to throw out some of my old 32nd jets as there the first things I did when I returned to the hobby but I might have to bite the bullet.

• Sad 3

ebay - auction win:

Still shrink wrapped and brand spanking perfect! 🏆

kuwGEZ.jpg

Think Midway but don't forget the movie: Dive Bombers with: Fred McMurray, Errol Flynn, Ralph Bellamy and Alexis Smith and the movie was in full color. released in 1941. 

• Like 8