Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

28 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Postman dropped this off today.  It popped up on LSP last week and I jumped on it. Yea, I think I paid about $10-$15 too much, but Rhino is long gone. So pay the price! 
IMG_1378.thumb.jpeg.1ac2f639c2504b5f75e2dba5f9fbd058.jpeg

Does the kit need the seamless intake? I've got a couple in the stash but no intakes for them. Just wondering if I should try to find some. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Does the kit need the seamless intake? I've got a couple in the stash but no intakes for them. Just wondering if I should try to find some. 

I honestly have no idea.  I bought it because all their stuff has been pretty good for me. 🤣 

I think GT Resin has one but their QC has been very spotty over the past few years.  I’d rather not chance it. 

There have been some fitting complaints even for the Rhino online.  Something about the cast in lower part of the fuselage you cut out is too narrow.  
My thought was to grind this area off the resin intake and make it fit inside the fuselage. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

I honestly have no idea.  I bought it because all their stuff has been pretty good for me. 🤣 

I think GT Resin has one but their QC has been very spotty over the past few years.  I’d rather not chance it. 

There have been some fitting complaints even for the Rhino online.  Something about the cast in lower part of the fuselage you cut out is too narrow.  
My thought was to grind this area off the resin intake and make it fit inside the fuselage. 

Well I just checked my kits and found they don't need the seamless intakes as the Fisher conversions have them already. 

So guess I dodged that bullet. 

• Like 3

On 1/22/2024 at 5:13 PM, GusMac said:

And another one courtesy pf the ever generous Ernie.

IMG_20240122_195944.thumb.jpg.28d9d3a01dbb0bf07ace8d98cb967358.jpg

Not only the kit but also the full accessory pack.

Really looking forward to this but might be a while given how long I think the Viggen might take me.

Gus

Enjoy the build and I fully agree, Ernie generosity is incredible. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2024 at 7:13 AM, HubertB said:

A book … And what a book ! This is the last « in Action » book, on the TBD Devastator, by Dana Bell.

wow !

i-RcxTGBB-600x450.jpg

Needless to say it supersedes, and by far, the previous « in Action » book on the same subject. I have a significant library on the TBD, plus a huge compilation of pictures I gathered on the net, but this one still manages to add pictures I had never seen hitherto, nor even, to my despair, found …

Add to that the infinitely knowledgeable comments by Dana Bell, and you have an absolute « must have » book, at least if you have even a passing interest on the TBD.

Hubert

Absolutely!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Well I just checked my kits and found they don't need the seamless intakes as the Fisher conversions have them already. 

So guess I dodged that bullet. 

Oh, well. Excuse me. La-tee-dah.

:rofl:

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gus

Enjoy the build and I fully agree, Ernie generosity is incredible. 

Further evidence of Ernie's generosity. Here's my Christmas Raffle prize sent direct from Graham at Iconicair.

IMG_20240130_202303.thumb.jpg.2eff0410afe190ed713b0023a5e57e61.jpg

Looks like a great kit. Ernie seems determined to turn me into a resin builder but if they're all of this quality he might well succeed!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Some items from AFV Modeller came today.

Some aftermarket stuff to be used on my  big Das Werk StuG III in 1/16.

These include ammunition stowage racks that are missing from the kit.

these would be visible if the hatch was open..so I think they're needed.

Also, I got a better shell-catcher basket to replace the kits flat-sided one.

I did borrow pictures from their website

DSCN1362.JPG

DSC_5641-600x756_kindlephoto-78182.png

16075-4-600x756_kindlephoto-54354.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

A couple packages arrived today. 

First one was from BNA. 

Intake screens for my Su-33, zimmeritt for a RFM Sturmtiger, and antennae for an Achilles.

PXL_20240201_203716548.thumb.jpg.2c88f2c030ac6e3c68c61eeb7f49d2c6.jpg

The second one was from Sprue Bros courtesy of Ernie.

PXL_20240201_203741427.thumb.jpg.ccbf54de9ecb5e97c737cceafe318e0e.jpg

I took a quick peek in the box and it's stunning which is to be expected from ZM. Thanks again Ernie and the rest of the LSM staff!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I thought this would be a good read for this month. After all it is Black History Month. I picked it up off Amazon's used books for $8. It is a 2022 Osprey Publication. By 1945 there were 432 MOH recipients. There were over 1 million Black service members during the war. Despite those statistics, there were absolutely no Black recipients until 4 decades later. I am looking forward to the read this month.

Jager

Living On Tulsa Time

IMG_1724.jpeg

• Like 13

I have been away for a Berlin trip, lots of family affairs, visited good friends, good bars, fine restaurants and finally a LHS. As I was flying baggage was limited and needed for other big city goods to bring home.

SBS 1/48 Caudron C.600 resin kit. I originally wanted the civilian version which was sold out, than the Spanish Republican, but went with the Hungarian instead, because I wanted a silver bird and no camo.

P1011035.thumb.JPG.0d39b1f35d7f0a7e07b08c88e1b4bba2.JPG 

Next some figures which show a scene from the last days of the war in Berlin, my old hometown. The street signs seem to be wrong, but I will research this later. This set is made from resin by Scale 75 in 1/35.

P1011034.thumb.JPG.0e738b47ee27258e70b629b5abfe0195.JPG

Something for honing my figure painting skills a bit later with more experience to get beforehand. I spoke to the guy in the shop and he told me, he painted her twice for customers and gave me some precious tips for painting.

P1011037.thumb.JPG.1b02f772e01fe013c9e6fedb48932815.JPG

Last but not leas, some tool. A Proxxon pen sander along with whit markers, which were recommended by a member over on MSW for tire painting.

IMG_1931.thumb.JPG.e9f37c7945cd348d445e534433f8c364.JPG

Finally a micro rolling tool for diameters ranging from 1 mm to 5 mm. The bigger brother came in handy, while building the USS Arizona with tons of rounded PE. There were many parts with smaller radii, where I had to improvise.

P1011036.thumb.JPG.1c5ece77338fe349b8672b4482fda46a.JPG

And now I will be busy the next days, follow up your various builds and other threads.

Cheers Rob

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DocRob said:

I have been away for a Berlin trip, lots of family affairs, visited good friends, good bars, fine restaurants and finally a LHS. As I was flying baggage was limited and needed for other big city goods to bring home.

SBS 1/48 Caudron C.600 resin kit. I originally wanted the civilian version which was sold out, than the Spanish Republican, but went with the Hungarian instead, because I wanted a silver bird and no camo.

P1011035.thumb.JPG.0d39b1f35d7f0a7e07b08c88e1b4bba2.JPG 

Next some figures which show a scene from the last days of the war in Berlin, my old hometown. The street signs seem to be wrong, but I will research this later. This set is made from resin by Scale 75 in 1/35.

P1011034.thumb.JPG.0e738b47ee27258e70b629b5abfe0195.JPG

Something for honing my figure painting skills a bit later with more experience to get beforehand. I spoke to the guy in the shop and he told me, he painted her twice for customers and gave me some precious tips for painting.

P1011037.thumb.JPG.1b02f772e01fe013c9e6fedb48932815.JPG

Last but not leas, some tool. A Proxxon pen sander along with whit markers, which were recommended by a member over on MSW for tire painting.

IMG_1931.thumb.JPG.e9f37c7945cd348d445e534433f8c364.JPG

Finally a micro rolling tool for diameters ranging from 1 mm to 5 mm. The bigger brother came in handy, while building the USS Arizona with tons of rounded PE. There were many parts with smaller radii, where I had to improvise.

P1011036.thumb.JPG.1c5ece77338fe349b8672b4482fda46a.JPG

And now I will be busy the next days, follow up your various builds and other threads.

Cheers Rob

Good haul Rob, glad you had fun in the old city……..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today, got some Fruilmodel tracks. Ordered from Sprue Brothers, I was

glad to see these were available. I had been looking for these particular

tracks for some time. I had purchased the old Tamiya 113 kit a couple

of years ago as a nostalgia thing....this is one one of the first kits I ever made back about 1979. The kit dates to '74! I know that buying Friuls for

this kit doesn't make much economic sense really but I thought it would be fun.

Besides, I already bought a PE set for it a while back. The kits tracks are the

ancient Tamiya, rivet-the-end type and are....off-putting. The tracks come

with two replacement drive sprockets. Also, from another vendor, I just

ordered a set for my Takom Merkava 1.

DSCN1366_1_kindlephoto-57474.jpg

DSCN1367_kindlephoto-98328.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Woohoo!  All of my RLM colors arrived today with a white primer restock.  
Now I’ll be playing nurse for the nurse with the broken foot for the next few weeks.  Hopefully they’ll give her some good drugs to knock her out so I can get some bench time.  

IMG_1422.thumb.jpeg.e665de8e126e7a3c9a860fda796ed07a.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Back in my late teens ... just after I'd left high school ... I used to follow Formula 1.

Even though I stopped setting my alarm clock for ridiculous times while I worked for a few years before I went back to school (uni ... where I could again, get up at ridiculous hours to watch each race of the season) ... I managed to keep up with new developments.

Back then it was the pinnacle of motorsports ... and the drivers? - Well, they had to be a special kind of crazy. I saw the closing years of what became to be known as the "Turbo Era" ... Barely controllable cars, pumping out 1000+ horsepower through a manual gearbox ...

Then there was the announcement that a 1/12 scale kit (their first) was coming from Beemax ... Ayrton Sennas' Lotus / Honda 99T ... first placed finish at Monaco in 1987 was brilliant drive from start to finish.

ysZcbqK.jpg

From the moment this kit was announced I knew I would get it! ... Of course, model manufacturers have this obsession with failing to include Tobacco manufacturers liveries, which is frustrating no end to those who want a little authenticity to their display

ddLJpyF.jpg

So I had to get some aftermarket ones ...

4gf40Tw.jpg

6cpbbyF.jpg

There WILL be a WIP for this thing ... starting this week hopefully!

Rog :)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

Back in my late teens ... just after I'd left high school ... I used to follow Formula 1.

Even though I stopped setting my alarm clock for ridiculous times while I worked for a few years before I went back to school (uni ... where I could again, get up at ridiculous hours to watch each race of the season) ... I managed to keep up with new developments.

Back then it was the pinnacle of motorsports ... and the drivers? - Well, they had to be a special kind of crazy. I saw the closing years of what became to be known as the "Turbo Era" ... Barely controllable cars, pumping out 1000+ horsepower through a manual gearbox ...

Then there was the announcement that a 1/12 scale kit (their first) was coming from Beemax ... Ayrton Sennas' Lotus / Honda 99T ... first placed finish at Monaco in 1987 was brilliant drive from start to finish.

ysZcbqK.jpg

From the moment this kit was announced I knew I would get it! ... Of course, model manufacturers have this obsession with failing to include Tobacco manufacturers liveries, which is frustrating no end to those who want a little authenticity to their display

ddLJpyF.jpg

So I had to get some aftermarket ones ...

4gf40Tw.jpg

6cpbbyF.jpg

Rog :)

Cool👍. Golden era of F1, when cars looked racing vehicles rather that something from outer space 🙂. I can not wait to see this build.

• Like 5

Looking forward to seeing your WIP on the Lotus Rog.  I'm hoping to pick this kit up at some point. 

As for the tobacco livery markings, it's not the model companies fault. Beyond any licensing issues, the markings are banned in Europe and North America from appearing on toys, which is what the models are considered. This came about in the late '80s. Prior to the ban, most models had the tobacco sponsors on their decal sheets. Many had to reprint new box art as well as decal sheets to comply with the rules. 

Thankfully you can get them from AM companies. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Nice haul, Rog, I will follow your future build log closely. I considered the kit as well, but gave it a pass, because I don´t like the turbo engines a lot, but I had to sleep about it for numerous times, as the kit seems to be great.
Are you aware, that Beemax / Nunu offers a detail set for the Lotus, which includes tobacco ad, lots of PE, carbon decals and some turned metal parts?

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

I had a break on Friday in the move melee, so the wife and I went out to pick up my xmas raffle prize and birthday present. So I got the Kotare Spit Brian Lane edition and an Academy A-10C with my coins. and then we had dinner out.

I didn't get pictures of anything, as it's still a giant mess of boxes everywhere.

• Like 8