The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Hobbycraft P-51A done

All done with this one. Thank goodness for the Vector cockpit set as this kit really cries out for that. I decided to model a a/c that is pictured on the cover of Dana Bell's book "Aircraft Painting Guide Vol.1". Paints used were Model Master OD, Testor's OD in the small bottle, Humbrol OD, White Ensign/Colourcoats OD, and Xtracolor OD and Neutral Grey. Also some I mixed. Interior is Colourcoats Dull Dark Green. I wanted to really weather this one to match the photos and I think I came fairly close. National insignia are from a Tamiya P-51D, the yellow serial numbers are from a Super Scale sheet (stash). I had to make my own "246" oval using numbers from my decal stash, white decal paper and a steel stencil. Resized and printed out on my laser printer. I hope y'all like the results of my efforts. :) Sorry for the crappy photos. I'm trying different settings on my camera in hope of improving same.

NASM-HGC-989-000001.jpg

11-12-18 001.jpg

11-12-18 002.jpg

11-12-18 003.jpg

11-12-18 004.jpg

11-12-18 005.jpg

11-12 005.jpg

• Like 18

12 minutes ago, Jeff said:

John.................. do you EVER slop any paint or guck up with glue??/ Absolutely awesome build, and PERFECT paint.... the weathering is SPOT on.................. I love the exhaust stains..... beautiful.....

I'm glad you like it Jeff. Thanks! :)

• Like 1

Weathered aeroplane from John is a huge sensation, well done ! :thumbsup2:

Just noticed the missing gun ports on the leading edge, is that the way how he kit comes OOB ? The real thing had decent size openings with tips of the barrels poking out a little.

Cheers

M.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Weathered aeroplane from John is a huge sensation, well done ! :thumbsup2:

Just noticed the missing gun ports on the leading edge, is that the way how he kit comes OOB ? The real thing had decent size openings with tips of the barrels poking out a little.

Cheers

M.

The gun ports were covered over with tape to keep out dust and dirt.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

John

Aces on a great build of a kit that is not often built. Fit and finish is right on the money and the weathering looks perfect - and that's from a guy that rarely weathers

:unworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Peter

Thanks Peter. I'm glad you like it. :)