The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Both my parents are in ICU

Clunkmeister

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hey folks,  Time for an update.  

First off, your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated, and, I believe, are helping.

Dad took a turn for the better and is actually home, although I’m not so sure I agree with that yet.  Last week, he had one leg in the casket, today he’s doing much better. They changed his CPAP to a BiPAP and added O2 go the stream, so he’s much better as of now.  

Mom, not so much. She’s a disaster. Her dementia is getting worse. My brother Rob tried to pick her up in their 4 door Dodge pickup for a day trip to the house, and when they wheeled her out to get her buckled into the back seat, she refused, curled up in a ball under the seat, and wouldn’t come out. So the orderlies extracted her and too her back to the room.  To say it upset Dad would be an understatement.

Buried Uncle Ronnie two weeks ago.

Buried my 26 year old (God) niece today. She passed of a massive brain tumor that spread to her spine. A truly beautiful girl both inside and out. 

My niece gave birth by C-section yesterday. 28 days premature, and the only reason she did is because she hated hurting and cared more about herself than her child. As a result, young Evelyn Joy is in NICU because her lungs aren’t ready yet.  If I could feel true hate, this mom would be high up on he list of candidates to qualify as a recipient. 

My wife Joy’s Lupus is worse and now she’s in the middle of a flare up. She’s a fighter but good grief!

The good news:   We’ll get out to our homemade black powder pistol and rifle range next weekend and take our anger out on hapless pumpkins, watermelons, and time expired fizzy drinks.  Saturday I’ll step back from the bench and go to the other bench. Some .45 LC and .44-40 in black powder will be pressed together, then maybe put together 20 or 30 .45-110 for the old Sharps. I have 500 yards to play with, which is child’s play for a ‘74 Sharps. After 10 through that thing, my shoulder’s screaming ENOUGH!

Then, in November, it’s that time of year: our gathering of antique military firearms here we got out to a local specialty rifle range and shoot all our stuff that can’t be shot on a regular rifle range.  Bloop! Boom! Bloop! Boom!   It’s time for a Rock & Roll Show.  I’m presently madly linking together a few thousand rounds of 8mm Mauser surplus ammo into nice long beautiful belts for the 34 and 42s. That should be good for a couple minutes of grins.  I’m all out of 30.06, so I have nothing for the 1919. 

We will act FALonious that day. :) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 11:14 PM, Clunkmeister said:

The surreal part of this all is that I, as the senior living relative, have inherited legal Power of Attorney over their affairs and of Health decisions regarding them both.

I've been praying, but right now things look pretty bleak.

I was away when you posted this thread..

firstly I am sorry to hear that both your parents are going through the "old age " 

things .... and as for greedy relatives  /greedy siblings ..that just sucks when all they do think about is how do they get the money.

I did not think one inherits a power of attorney even if you are the eldest... Ernie I suggest you get the Power of Attorney  granted by your family lawyers while your  Father is  still capable of talking with you etc... 

please dont assume you will inherit the Power of Attorney..please check that out and you should keep the copy in your safe so no one else gets their  hands on it.(Unless USA law is different but didn't think it was where Power of Attorney  is concerned.)

what you need to get if you still have the notion to get things done  correctly for your parents (let's face it they are still here and the money etc is still THEIRS ...) is to get their permission * in writing* or get the lawyer to attend with you to see your dad and get him to say that he gives his permission to you to act on his/their  behalf by giving you A LASTING  POWER OF ATTORNEY so you can handle ALL THEIR AFFAIRS (From finances to paying their bills from their money etc . ) so your sibling cannot quibble about a lawful document.

I had that way before MY MOM passed away so she knew she was  being looked after and her household Bill's  etc were paid by ME ..

if you dont then he will bleed your parents money NOW when you know your parents need it for medical Bill's etc...

please take care and look after yourself.

Greed and lust for money  by your siblings  will never give them peace as the Good Lord always  has a way of dealing with people who are thus. 

I hope your Dad gets well soon and your Mom has a less stressful and peaceful life now. and that GOD  takes care of her.

• Like 1