The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Both my parents are in ICU

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

So, I received two phone calls today. One about my Dad who’s in ICU due to CO2 buildup in his blood.

Second was for my Mom, who’s in the final stages of dementia. 

Then I find out my deadbeat Ward of the State brother is trying to have a lawyer get my Dad in ICU to sign the entire estate to my brother.  I saw red for about 20 seconds that he’d take advantage of my dad like that, but in the end I just shook my head and said phoque it! And not the phoque that swims and eats fish, either. 

It'll be the biggest cash grab in our family’s history, but I just don’t have the strength to fight, and I checked this afternoon and it turns out I’m all out of phoque to give. Looked in the lost, under the bed, in the garage, the filing cabinets, everywhere, and yes, no more phoques to give.

Done... and good riddance. Anyone who purposely and underhandedly uses the death of a family member to enriched himself deserves to die a slow, miserable death. 

• Like 9

Ernie,

Sorry to hear about your parents and sorry you have to deal with a douche sibling. I had to deal with one when my father and a few years later an older brother passed.

It's always the one that that has never accomplished anything in their life or ever lifted a hand to help anyone out. Sad fact is, regardless of how much money it is, it'll be squandered as fast as it came.

• Like 4

Ernie, I really don't know what to say. I'm sorry to hear about your parents  and truly stunned at your brother's actions. 

Sometimes money can bring the worst out on families and sadly your family isn't alone in that regard. My dad's siblings are going through a bit of a fight at the moment as my aunt has a terminal brain tumour. Sadly I know it's only to get worse between them.

Thanks for being the better man and not dropping to your brother's level. 

Carl

• Like 3

Dammit Ern, sorry to hear about the whole situation, that sucks! Hope things go as well as then can for your parents. Hope your brother trips and falls manparts first into a wood chipper. what an @$$hole.

Give this a listen, you may get a chuckle since you’re out of phoques. Hopefully a brief distraction, at the very least a good source for more ways to say that you’re out of phoques. 

• Like 4

Sorry to hear of that Ernie.  As it was said above me, money brings out the worst.  I never speak with my brother anymore because of this. He just turned 60 and is a miserable human being.

Long story made short, he started a Family Trust we all agreed to.  Later we discovered it was a ploy to manipulate Mom after Dad died.  We caught up in his lies when he tried to lock his final piece of his structured take over in place.  A conservatorship for Mom.   We pulled all banking records and discovered $30K he stole out of her accounts in addition to the $18K she loaned him.  He had her sign herself out of the Trust telling her is was just papers about Dad's passing she needed to sign.  She trusted him, he is her favorite son.  

Now she's in my care, but yet I am constantly reminded he's her favorite.

I'll put it this way, he's so bad his MIL just passed away leaving million$$$ to her 3 kids.  In her will she stipulated that her daughter will not have control of her money and it has to go through her brother as long as she is married "to that man" 

You need to go after that Lawyer for ethics violations.  Can''t blame a dumbass deadbeat family member. But an officer of the court that knows what he is doing is wrong?  Start with reporting him to the State Bar Association.  It's going to be hard to find a lawyer that will help eat one of their own, so you might have to handle it yourself.  You can always keep the three S' in mind too.  ;)

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, seiran01 said:

Dammit Ern, sorry to hear about the whole situation, that sucks! Hope things go as well as then can for your parents. Hope your brother trips and falls manparts first into a wood chipper. what an @$$hole.

Give this a listen, you may get a chuckle since you’re out of phoques. Hopefully a brief distraction, at the very least a good source for more ways to say that you’re out of phoques. 

Thanks Mike!! That's my new work theme song!  After getting shafted here at work, I too have run dry.

• Like 5

I am deeply sorry to hear this

And yes, it's always the idiot waste-of-oxygen family members who show up like buzzards at these times.

My best to you and yours - this will be a difficult time, regardless of how many f***s you give or don't give (and I know that they can be in critically short supply, so horde any that you find, rather than investing them on unworthy topics)

Be good to you. 

• Like 5

Jesus, this is painful thread, and you can pick your friends but not your family............ I have TWO sisters that are like your brother.....and very ageing parents as well, 96 and 97 and Cathy's parents both 90....reading these posts make me sick, I thought it was just our family that was messed up like this...... Cathy and I are SO very sorry that your brother's behavior is tainting the last decent memories of your mom and dad..........life is so short, greed is a terrible thing......  I am sad for you pal.......

• Like 5

• Administrators

Thanks y’all. The funny thing is, it’s not the money. It’s the thought that someone would take what I expect is the crappiest time of everyone’s life and run with to stab all others in the back for nothing more than a bit of quick minor financial gain. 

These are days I’ve been fearing for years now, and that Lone is more than enough for me now. If he feels like he needs to jam the knife in, he can, because trust me on this: he’s losing a helluva lot more by these actions than he’s fixin to gain  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Thanks y’all. The funny thing is, it’s not the money. It’s the thought that someone would take what I expect is the crappiest time of everyone’s life and run with to stab all others in the back for nothing more than a bit of quick minor financial gain. 

These are days I’ve been fearing for years now, and that Lone is more than enough for me now. If he feels like he needs to jam the knife in, he can, because trust me on this: he’s losing a helluva lot more by these actions than he’s fixin to gain  

Exactly.................. is a few bucks worth losing your family or whats left of it..??..........I was just over helping my 96 year old blind mom and my 97 year old dad get their lunch and prep their dinner for them... I told my mom of your story and she exploded , she thought that was the most reprehensible thing ever, THEN made it VERY clear that she does NOT want that to happen to us...... she told me straight up ........ "there is NO GODDAMNED way those two sisters of yours are to set foot on this property.........................."" plus a little more, but at 96 she still has strong feelings of how her and dad were treated in the past................... and was it worth it............... I'd say not, BUT I will say as in my case I have been the lucky one ........... I have ALL the memories to remember, the camping trips, going out in the big snow plow with my dad, Christmases, birthdays, a trip to the UK, and the happiness on their faces when I handed them all paid tickets for a Cruise for their 50th wedding anniversary...... when I bought my dad a NEW truck so he could enjoy his retirement........ the fabulous meals my mom cooked, and on and on.................. something my sisters don't have, and that is worth all the gold..... as maddening as it is financially and as painful as it is that your brother is trying to screw you and take advantage of your mom and dad, YOU, my friend, Ernest will have better memories and thoughts for the rest of your days...................... and know in your heart that you were the good son, and that you would never stoop so low as to take advantage of someone who can't fight for themselves.......so petty....... you are the bigger man here Ernie. Like you, I'm trying to do the best I can for my ageing folks, and do right by them... they couldn't fight my sisters if they had to, .... so I will....... Hold your head high, and if you get the chance, tell your brother as I will with my sisters just what they really are.....

• Like 6

Sorry to hear about your parents, Ernie. 

Having lived through the ordeal of taking care of elderly, demented, parents, I know how tough this can be. And I had also to go through the sinuous, tortuous, mean, actions of a manipulative sister who did her utmost - and succeeded - to separate my parents from their two sons, even though I was the one mandated judicially to be the legal guardian of their interests.

Both my parents are dead now, my father the last one. His funeral was the last time I saw my sister. She can rot in Hell for all I care. I refused any inheritance after his death. The family has been broken by the wrongdoings of this b#&%. Just another confirmation of the old adage that you choose your friends, but not your family ...

Hubert

• Like 6

I feel for you Ernie

I'm lucky in this respect, in that I'm an only child so don't have to deal with Siblings. Family dynamics have like this have me completely perplexed I must say. My Mother-in-Law's Brother did her over like this in a Will settlement, it seems to be happening a lot these days.

Currently up in Rockhampton staying with my Mum at the moment, who's 82 and still very spritely.

• Like 4