Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Share how COVID-19 Quarantine has affected you.

1to1scale

57 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

Rob, you're quite knowlegeable in these things, so I'll ask you.  Does the spike in infections simply correlate to the availability of testing, or is it an actual spike due to spread?

Ernie, as I'm no scientist, I actually can't tell you. There appears to be a correlation between availability of testing and the quota of infections. Some people far more educated than me mentioned exactly that, when they spoke about the enormous death quotas in Italy and later here in Spain. The quota for at least one reason might only be that high, because testing was not widely available and many infected where undetected.
I think there is a lot to be learned of the statistics, but given the way the numbers were gathered and the luckily still low numbers (they still use per 100.000 people), it's hard to give meaningful statistics.
With improved algorithms and more founded databases (as an ex big-data-analyst), we will learn a lot, but it takes time. Clearly not everything can be extracted from statistics, specially not when the interpretation of results is subjected by different interests. 

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DocRob said:

Ernie, as I'm no scientist, I actually can't tell you. There appears to be a correlation between availability of testing and the quota of infections. Some people far more educated than me mentioned exactly that, when they spoke about the enormous death quotas in Italy and later here in Spain. The quota for at least one reason might only be that high, because testing was not widely available and many infected where undetected.
I think there is a lot to be learned of the statistics, but given the way the numbers were gathered and the luckily still low numbers (they still use per 100.000 people), it's hard to give meaningful statistics.
With improved algorithms and more founded databases (as an ex big-data-analyst), we will learn a lot, but it takes time. Clearly not everything can be extracted from statistics, specially not when the interpretation of results is subjected by different interests. 

Cheers Rob

It's a really interesting area as no-one has a true handle on the number of asymptomatic people in their population. Singapore and South Korea probably did the highest proportion of the trace and test paradigm and it seems to have worked for South Korea but Singapore are now implementing a form of lockdown. There certainly does seem to be a correlation between testing and quota as Germany probably has the most effective testing set up in Europe currently due to their huge diagnostics industry and they have a seemingly low death rate compared to other adjacent countries as they're testing a lot more of the mild and asymptomatic cases. As Rob says it's only really after the fact when you can look at the excess deaths, etc that the true patterns and stories emerge. A big one is how many are dying of Covid compared to those dying with Covid ie in how many is it the primary cause of death rather than just speeding things up slightly.

Anyway, hope all here keep safe and well.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I think language wouldn't be an issue. Call me crass, but I think everyone here speaks English at least a bit?  Except Australians. Whatever that is they mutter there isn't any form of Engrish I've ever heard.  :)

I say, old Chap...

• Like 3

The "stay at home" order in WA state just got extended to May 4. I'm sofa king excited. Our economy is going to go completely to hell if they don't let people go back to work soon. I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home, and our company supports the local hospital, so we've been pretty secure so far, but so many are really hurting. We thought we had a homeless problem before.....

• Like 5

• Administrators

Tim, 10 million people here on unemployment in the last two weeks alone.  I'm keeping my men employed as best I can, but I have no earthly idea how I can keep it up. The PPP assistance for small business the gov is touting now has been approved for almost a week, and the forms have been ready for three days, but we're all in limbo because our banks won't accept applications yet. THEY'RE not ready. And, if it has see any kind of relief, and by then, it's all over but the crying. I'll lay all my guys off and hope they come back.  :-/

It looks mighty bleak out there these days. All they had to do was agree to cover the business insurance waivers on pandemic coverage. we all carry loss of cash flow coverage, but it doesn't cover pandemics. Nobody's does. It would have been SO much easier....

• Like 3

• Administrators

I'm curious to see the numbers as well. the massive spike in the USA was due to the sudden availability of large scale testing and of course it confirmed what we all feared.

This is going to be a big one no doubt, and none of us are immune. It certainly gives a person a sense of their own mortality, doesn't it?

Even those 12 cases in Slovakia, confirmed by Ukrainian ex-nuclear power engineer gives me so much confidence in the legitimacy of the numbers..

But good news. We have stash and time.

But bad news:  low on levelling thinner. The world cannot function without the levelling thinner...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

But bad news:  low on levelling thinner. The world cannot function without the levelling thinner...

I can send you some if you can't source any Ernie. No idea what the postage would be though. 

It's looking more and more likely that the school year is now done as far as kids being in a physical classroom. On Monday, they're starting the online lessons for my boys. Hopefully that goes ok. Even half ok. 

A friend stopped by on his way home from his business. We chatted in the laneway behind our house maintaining the mandatory 6 ft distance. His business was initially considered an essential service (bike shop) but was removed from the provincial list this morning. He's relieved as before, he had to stay open and he was getting p!ssed that people wouldn't respect the social distancing. 

• Like 4

It is a very quiet Saturday night here in Newtown. I live close to a busy intersection with traffic lights. It is dead quiet. I am a 3 minute walk from 3 pubs, 3 cocktail bars and too many restaurants to count. Of course only the restaurants are open for take away/delivery. 

The hospital 2 minutes in the other direction is silent. Usually I hear ambulances or helicopters, people...

Nothing. 

There were a few people walking around during the day. 

I am starting to think I am Charlton Heston in the Omega man.

I am building a tank destroyer,  1/48 trainer and a fighter.  This photo captures what I have been doing.

2psePx.jpg

• Like 4

Another positive, lots of time to clean the bench/work desk.  Spent a few hours this morning completely going through and organizing all my drawers and cleaning everything.   Much more "zen" now with a clean work area.

20200404_074642.jpg

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, TJTX said:

Another positive, lots of time to clean the bench/work desk.  Spent a few hours this morning completely going through and organizing all my drawers and cleaning everything.   Much more "zen" now with a clean work area.

I’ve just done the same, literally the last minutes of the Tempest build, so I thought tidy desk, tidy mind..........

......as of Monday it’s working from home again.......trying to design and coordinate multi million pound architectural projects whilst WFH is difficult in the extreme.....

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Bomber_County said:

..as of Monday it’s working from home again.......trying to design and coordinate multi million pound architectural projects whilst WFH is difficult in the extreme.....

That's exactly what I do too!! Healthcare, mostly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TJTX said:

20200404_074642.jpg

I usually do a deep clean of the desk whenever I finish a phase of a project, help keep your mind clear. It’s therapeutic.

• Like 3

I fully agree Mark.  I 100% feel more at peace sitting and working at a clean uncluttered bench.  My bench had gotten kind of bad with how much time I had to work at it.  I had some many parts going it got a little unruly. 

• Like 3

As of midnight Sunday, the entire state of Missouri is under orders to stay home. Of course you can go out for supplies, gas, ect. I'm just wondering if we are allowed on the lake.  They did say recreational outside was ok as long as you are 6 ft apart and no more than 2......harv

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TJTX said:

I fully agree Mark.  I 100% feel more at peace sitting and working at a clean uncluttered bench.  My bench had gotten kind of bad with how much time I had to work at it.  I had some many parts going it got a little unruly. 

Lol, try build several P-40s at once, I have about 100 sprues in four boxes around me. Every time I cut a last part off the sprue, I cut it into little pieces and throw them in the trash. I still have about 60 sprues left. It’s a build concept I will never do again. From now on, max of two at a time.

• Like 2