Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

I’m a traitor

Clunkmeister

20 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

One plastic kit I really want to do I’d the 1/200 scale Hood in the 30s during her South Pacific tour. I have the kit, a full Pontus set, some Shapeways stuff, and,... no room on my bench.

I barely have room for one kit on my bench.  I have various temporary storage places for other builds on the go.   Shouldn't be too difficult to store the big vessel when not in use. 

• Like 5

Go, Ernie, go ! Better this kind of treason than others I could think of, methink ;) .

Wooden ship models have a presence none of our plastic wingy things have, IMHO (but maybe the Felixstowe - which is a boat, and has plenty of rigging, so QED )

Hubert

• Like 7

Guest DannyVM

Got the Le Superbe in my stash. Started it but at the moment.........it's in the docks.

Nice haul Ernie, have fun mate.

Do it Ernie, it's a very nice ship. I like the smaller vessels in larger scale made in wood. More details and less redundancy like building a zillion of tiny cannons along with their gates for a ship of the line. I was really tempted (still am), when James reviewed the Fifie trawler here.
I have an ongoing (suince years) project in the form of a French Kutter Le Renard. At least it's a pirate ship, sort of at least. I t was the ship of St. Malo privateer Robert Surcouf.

P1140528.thumb.JPG.b46fc4dda81dcb77d31eb53dd51591c4.JPG

• Like 8

Guest DannyVM

This is the Victory my late father build in 2008. At the moment it's in display at my brother in law house because i don't have the room to display it.

jWD3zj1l.jpg

The first model I've built at the age of 14 was a ship and I still have quite a few of them in the stash, Blue Nose, Amerigo Vespucci, some battleships as well. But I find ship building - if you want to do it right - more demanding and time consuming than building a 109 for example. But still, I love ships, especially the wooden ones, beautiful material to work with. So go for it Ernie, you'll enjoy it.

Lothar

• Like 7

great idea - nothing wrong with building with wood. I did the same a few months ago and have yet to start. I've built 6 previous wooden boats, makes it interesting working with different methods, materials and tools. It's the rigging that drives me crazy, probably why I've not started mine yet (1/63 scale HM schooner pickle - the ship that bought the news of Nelsons victory and death back to the UK). 

• Like 7

• Administrators

I had looked and looked and looked, and finally, after much external persuasion, decided to try it.    I love the lines of a trim little brig like Speedy, and ohh the history!   In life, Cochrane was larger than life, and his exploits just boggle the mind.

Some of the Imperial Russian frigates are gorgeous, as is any frigate, although a few of the Spanish ships look a bit odd to me.

Yes, the ultimate is, and always will me, Victory, although a first rate triple decker doesn’t have the lines  smaller vessel.   My dream would be a third rate 74 in 1/64 scale.  The 74, to me, is THE ship. Pretty much a standard with all Navies, and just about perfectly proportioned. 

But there’s the rub. 1/64 is, I think, the scale I like best. BIG, awesome detail, but not so big that you’ll need to build a slipway to move it.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, biggtim said:

I remember the next morning, very well, as I'm sure Martin does too!

Morning ? If I remember rite, he didnt start breathing till the afternoon......harv

• Like 6