Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Absolutely!  Mr Leveling Thinner is a magic elixir. 

2 hours ago, Bill_S said:

It works very well with Tamiya acrylics too!

Agree that it is a « miracle product » in most instances (like Tamiya X-22 clear, for another purpose).

Be aware though that, mixed with Vallejo acrylic black primer, it turned the mix into a gooey mess within minutes, in the airbrush cup, and around the airbrush nozzle and needle. It took me almost a day, and strong stuff like pure acetone, to clean and recover the airbrush, with a very narrow escape from the « vertical filer » for the AB.

ONLY WATER will work to thin this Vallejo primer (but it’s not mentioned on the bottle, and only a long internet search produced this information :wallbash:)

Hubert

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Absolutely!  Mr Leveling Thinner is a magic elixir. 

I tend to disagree, after many praises I bought a bottle and tried with different Colours, mostly to the effect, that it turned my airbrush in a glue like mess, which took me, like Hubert said, a lot of time to clean. That happened with Vallejo Primer,  Acrylic colours of Scale 75 and Lifecolour.
Without problems it worked with some Ak-Colours (no Real Colours) and AK Primer.

So far the messy part clearly outweights the benefit to me, but I will test and document futher, because if the stuff works the results are great.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

• Administrators
3 hours ago, DocRob said:

I tend to disagree, after many praises I bought a bottle and tried with different Colours, mostly to the effect, that it turned my airbrush in a glue like mess, which took me, like Hubert said, a lot of time to clean. That happened with Vallejo Primer,  Acrylic colours of Scale 75 and Lifecolour.
Without problems it worked with some Ak-Colours (no Real Colours) and AK Primer.

So far the messy part clearly outweights the benefit to me, but I will test and document futher, because if the stuff works the results are great.

Cheers Rob

Hmmmmm.  I’ve never experienced that phenomenon.  

However, I use MM enamel and acrylic, Tamiya, acrylic and enamel, MRP, and Gunner.  I don’t use Vallejo.  However, I do use MMP, and when using it, I use their system to prime to finish.

• Like 4

Thanks for your experiences Ernie, some parts of my upper conribution got lost while saving.

The bad results I had with Vallejo black primer (went tar like in the airbrush), like Hubert mentioned and with several acrylic colours from Scale 75 and Lifecolour. Luckily without two exceptions I tried to mix these colours with Mr. Leveling Thinner in a test jar, because cleaning the airbrush will take time swearing and will get you to the edge of swapping to another hobby like knitting, e.g. 

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Jeff said:

You guys always get such cool stuff..................

Except for the Wessex book, the other stuff i need for my next project. The EZ line, was a nice add-on to take with me.

The Wessex book was a find on one of the many vendor's table's, which was in my eyes cheap, so i took it. I need some good reference for my 1/32 Fly Wessex project, and to be honest i prefer paper reference above virtual.

Vallejo, Lifecolor, Xtracrylix do not play well with either Mr Color thinners, or Tamiya lacquer thinner. The times I've tried, I get a gooey mess like Hubert and Rob have stated above. For those, I use their respective thinners or just plain water. 

One brand not mentioned much is Tru Color which is from the US. Their paint works very well with Mr Color Thinner. 

http://trucolorpaint.com/

• Like 6

Mr Levelling thinner also works well with Mig Jiminez's Ammo paints and speeds up drying slightly compared to the proprietary Ammo thinner.

In my experience Vallejo just doesn't airbrush well with anything but that's just me. Great for brush painting but I leave it at that.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, GusMac said:

Mr Levelling thinner also works well with Mig Jiminez's Ammo paints and speeds up drying slightly compared to the proprietary Ammo thinner.

In my experience Vallejo just doesn't airbrush well with anything but that's just me. Great for brush painting but I leave it at that.

In fairness, I swore never to use the Vallejo black primer again after this experience (and the frustration of having to dig deep, looking for a basic information like what thinner to use with it).

The reason I kept it was to remember not to use it, or not to buy it again :) ...

Hubert

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Good job Bill, was that for the sea plane?

Indeed it was, Ryan. Sadly, I left a couple of planes at the venue, and I won't get them back for a couple of weeks. I'll post some photos then. It was a good show; aircraft were very well represented.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, HubertB said:

In fairness, I swore never to use the Vallejo black primer again after this experience (and the frustration of having to dig deep, looking for a basic information like what thinner to use with it).

The reason I kept it was to remember not to use it, or not to buy it again :) ...

Hubert

Hey Hubert 

If you use there thinner (Vallejo) it works fine. The problem is Vallejo paint is a WATER based acrylic. The others are lacquer based acrylics.

Ron G 

• Like 3

So it seems that whenever my wife is home for one reason or another I get a huge package in the mail. Today it was because our oldest was home sick from school so she decided to stay with him and work from home. As if on cue, after waiting 3 months this showed up:

IMG_20190916_151253-L.jpg

With this in the same box:

IMG_20190916_151316-L.jpg

Now to find RCAF decals for both. 

Carl

• Like 6

13 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

So it seems that whenever my wife is home for one reason or another I get a huge package in the mail. Today it was because our oldest was home sick from school so she decided to stay with him and work from home. As if on cue, after waiting 3 months this showed up:

IMG_20190916_151253-L.jpg

Carl

Straight from Murphys Laws of the Universe binder 1st ed page 387 ... 

"If there is an absolutely inopportune time for an event to occur ... there is a 99% probability that it will - at that particular moment"

Mine arrived with clear turrets ... I hope yours weren't in that first frosted batch.

But more to the point ... I hope your more precious parts survived kit-stash insertion!!! ;)

Rog :)

• Like 4

Ok so ... a couple more packages arrived during the last couple of weeks ...

I was forced to abandon any real modelling work for about 3 years ... the stash room just became storage ...

But now I'm gearing up again :)

First I grabbed an airbrush spray booth ...

672pGDZ.jpg

and then this box arrived the next day ...

yhUgBni.jpg

Containing a new LED driven magnification lamp, with some interchangeable lenses 3, 5 and 8 diopter and optional wheel stand :)...

2iXzyu4.jpg

BfswJON.jpg

ZC6cDge.jpg

Along with a few tools ... I only bought this knife set because it was cheap and had the small Vernier ... I'll get a proper steel one later

4J2BGIa.jpg

pUBkgEB.jpg

YppYjsn.jpg

Then - a few days later - 3 packages arrive ...

L7mtJGM.jpg

My new airbrush compressor with tank ... along with a couple of cheap airbrushes.

I have a Paasche V/L ... so I want to see how these compare ... but basically I wanted separate airbrushes - a lightweight one with a 0.2mm needle, a versatile one with 0.3mm - 0.5mm and gun with 0.8mm ... I haven't got the gun type yet ... but the Paasche has an 0.8mm suction action and some big a$$ jars ... ready for a couple of 4 engined heavies.

GgbIeqZ.jpg

fDjqUg1.jpg

snluVs4.jpg

Rog :)

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

Mine arrived with clear turrets ... I hope yours weren't in that first frosted batch.

But more to the point ... I hope your more precious parts survived kit-stash insertion!!! ;)

I haven't checked my kit yet to see if they have the clear turrets or not. 

Still trying to find room on the shelves for both kits. Thankfully that'll be the only insertion I'll need to endure. :D

She's really good about my hobby. Probably because both our boys have picked it up. There's kit boxes, sprues, and even finished kits all over the house due to them.  And maybe me....B)

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Your new workshop looks to be off to a great start. How big is the light when it's assembled? 

I haven't assembled it yet ... so I'll make sure to post a "workbench" shot when I do ... but ... if you open out your hand (handshake style) and measure elbow to fingertip ... thats about the length of one of the two arms. The stand is about 700-800mm tall before sticking the lamp on it and the lens is just under 130mm diameter across with the host of LEDs surrounding that.

• Like 4