The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

I bet you could write a book with all the excuses you’ve ever used.......:respect:

Now there's an idea, Phil................ make an ' excuse thread ', and we can all tap in and use, as, and when required ........... genius !

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, harv said:

My big buy at hobby lobby....harv

20201012_161003.jpg

I bought some of those damn things, but can;t remember what I bought them for.  And I still can;t remember what even inspired me to buy them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I bought some of those damn things, but can;t remember what I bought them for.  And I still can;t remember what even inspired me to buy them.

I use them for a couple things 

One pack I bought has been impervious to lacquer thinner so I've been able to just use them to clean my airbrush. 

I've also used them for cleaning up excess CA glue with debonder and for applying panel wash. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I use them mostly for applying pigments in hard to reach areas.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

4 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I use them all the time. Applying oils in small areas; a line of future to seal the edges of lozenge decals...

• Like 5

Spent last week in Cape Cod; I found a very nice hobby shop while I was in Hyannis hanging with the Kennedys. I cleaned them out of Model Master RLM02.

DSCN2467-1.jpg

They had a decent supply of older Revell kits too.

DSCN2465-1.jpg

I found an even better shop just outside of Boston on the way home. The even had a few WNW kits...

DSCN2464-1.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

"You must think in Russian"...

PXL_20201025_191943222.thumb.jpg.c6a3b6834f843250a348b4f9aa5db14e.jpg

A bit on the tiny side but it's the only readily available kit I know of the Mig-31.

PXL_20201025_192039447.thumb.jpg.9a03a9425fc49960defa3e75cc4490b7.jpg

I also picked up some reference materials.

PXL_20201025_192620921.thumb.jpg.7e419e4b6a596cc90de875eaa18696a4.jpg

PXL_20201025_192630937.thumb.jpg.5764b21a0baffa264b47890c11de0156.jpg

The SoftBank book is I think the 3rd or 4th volume on the VF-1. Which is kind of impressive when you consider it's a fictional plane.  

The Scammell book should come in handy while I continue on my build. Hard to find here in the west but $20 from HLJ. Go figure. 

Carl

• Like 8

My last stash addition has a small, but nice story behind it. I ordered the premium edition of the AW F.K.8 in 1/48 :icon_eek:  and received only the standard version.

P1150911.thumb.JPG.8a180365cd1fbb9d9b97e5da5c2d208a.JPG

After contacting the Sockelshop, a trusty German online shop, I use since many years, I was told, that there was a mistake in their system and the premium edition is no longer available. I was promise, that Sockelshop will contact Copper State Models directly and ask for sending all the missed goodies to me and voila, some days later a small package was on my doorstep continuing all the premium stuff like resin engine, metal exhaust, extra PE and tiny engine decals. Now that's what I call service :thumbsup2:

P1150912.thumb.JPG.9f8ace24725f603361d57dc1749b114b.JPG

By the way, if you have interest in WWI planes and 1/48 doesn't sound heretic to you, try to get some of the final premium editions of CSM, if available. The kits look great and well engineered, with PE rigging points! and manuals, which were often described as WNW copies, but I like them even more, especially the better rigging diagrams. I try to source the Dolphin kit, but haven't found one lately.

Cheers Rob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GusMac said:

Great service Rob. Not a site I've ever looked at but some good prices and shipping to the UK is reasonable. Must resist!! :D

Aren't we all weak sometimes :D. For me it's one of the very good shops, because non the least, they don't charge the German VAT for me on the Canary Islands. That means for purchases under 150€, I don't have to pay any VAT taxes at all.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

I had a package arrive from my LHS. I found it odd as I usually just pick up any online orders in person. It got more interesting when I opened it and found a Tamiya Challenger II kit, something that I hadn't ordered. I gave them a call and sure enough, they sent me someone else's order. So now I have an excuse to swing by the store on the weekend so I can return it to them. 

I wonder if that was their plan all along...:D

Carl

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I had a package arrive from my LHS. I found it odd as I usually just pick up any online orders in person. It got more interesting when I opened it and found a Tamiya Challenger II kit, something that I hadn't ordered. I gave them a call and sure enough, they sent me someone else's order. So now I have an excuse to swing by the store on the weekend so I can return it to them. 

Carl

:rofl:excellent ........another one for the "Excuse Thread".............. good stuff Carl.....  Sue will never know  :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

Just now, Jeff said:

:rofl:excellent ........another one for the "Excuse Thread".............. good stuff Carl.....  Sue will never know  :rolleyes:

The interesting bit is since I select store pickup, I never fill in my address. So how did they know where to send it???

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

The interesting bit is since I select store pickup, I never fill in my address. So how did they know where to send it???

Good point................ maybe the old school phone book? OR................. asked CRA, THEY know where you live !:hsmack:They sure know where I live !!:rolleyes:

• Haha 3

On 10/26/2020 at 3:29 AM, BlrwestSiR said:

"You must think in Russian"...

PXL_20201025_191943222.thumb.jpg.c6a3b6834f843250a348b4f9aa5db14e.jpg

A bit on the tiny side but it's the only readily available kit I know of the Mig-31.

PXL_20201025_192039447.thumb.jpg.9a03a9425fc49960defa3e75cc4490b7.jpg

I also picked up some reference materials ...

PXL_20201025_192630937.thumb.jpg.5764b21a0baffa264b47890c11de0156.jpg

Carl

I remember watching the Firefox movie ... Clint Eastwood - should have stuck with spaghetti westerns lol ...

I've thought about collecting the concept note for all of the ZM kits ... what it like?

Rog :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Artful69 said:

I've thought about collecting the concept note for all of the ZM kits ... what it like?

When I built my TA-152 I used the concept notes as reference. It contains nice detail museum pics of a TA-152 waiting for restoration, which were very helpful and different step to step builds of the kit. There are also removable 1/48 scale drawings included.

The downside is, they use an ultra tiny font for the English text, with capitals not even reaching 1,5mm height :icon_eek:. The format of the book is smaller than A4 format for comparison.

I also own the CN for the Horten, where the font is a tad larger and readable without a microscope.

Cheers Rob

IMG_7674.thumb.JPG.bedf6bdec993bed91bcd91956fbfbd9d.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

What's wrong with you Carl, you got followed by scale submarines, sent wrong packages to draw you into the LHS, what is next, an Alien handing you the last existing WNW kit for some dough :D.
We are among us here in LSM or is your wife peeking?

I think you are a role model as a  SuperExcuser :rofl:. You have my deepest respect for that :notworthy:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 3