The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

What do you consider is the meanest tank in history?

Guest DannyVM

Well, i'm not a real tank guy to be honest......i rather love that thing that do's brrrrrtttttttttttt to make a tank into a piece of burning iron......:2guns:

But, if i have to chose one it will be definitely the Israeli Merkava serie's. To me not the meanest looking guy around but the nicest looking tank.

Clearly the M-48 Patton to me. Why, because it was so big when I was playing in the West-Berlin forests (Grunewald) as a kid and the US Army had their trainings there in the same spot and I had to flee the tanks with my tiny bicycle.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 3

It's a toss up between the M1 and the king tiger. Based on building models of a bunch of armor over the years and comparing the different sizes, I can only imagine what it would've been like to run into a king tiger unexpectedly. I've been inside T-55's, T-62's and looked inside a t-72 and those tanks are small next to an M1 and even the king tiger -for it's time it was a giant

• Like 4

I believe the meanest tank in history is the TOG II. And engineering marvel where head of its time.it would instill fear and terror in it's enemy's from just being on the battlefield.1200px-TOG_II.thumb.jpg.7cc8f2fad93667cb3eda82f4aee30c23.jpg

Don't forget it's state of the art gun loading systemV8qHg96.gif.b5635d2e2e47321476f3dfb18e36df45.gif

I'm all seriousness I think the meanest most. OMG were going to die. tank to fight would have been the KV-6 given the time it would have been around. If it got in range. And I state the IF. (I dread to think how slow it would have been)KV-VI.thumb.jpg.f25500995b77b0279db0afed2b5cd748.jpg

It has alot of nasty guns to fire at you. Including the 2 152mm KV2 cannons. (Or as I lake to call it Derp Box 2)(it's fun to play in games)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clunkmeister said:

Abrams is decent, but put the same gun on a world class diesel hull and you get one of these...

2A6M Can, baby!  Hoo Rah!

Keeping Marines safe in Afghanistan for years!

468A4B93-05F5-4EC8-8D62-3D538E76F41F.jpeg

33B1888D-26A1-4096-923B-1309B6568818.jpeg

Tanks have played a very small part there as the terrain does not suit itself to using tanks  much, though there are some. 12 Leopards , and 16 Marine Abrams. Also the Abrams can run on diesel, marine diesel, jet fuel and gasoline.

• Like 4

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

Tanks have played a very small part there as the terrain does not suit itself to using tanks  much, though there are some. 12 Leopards last I checked, and 16 Marine Abrams. Also the Abrams can run on diesel, marine diesel, jet fuel and gasoline.

I think most of the Canuck 2A6Ms are back home. Very few left in country. But they were needed when there. Most of the US Abrams were busy in Iraq  

Mostly they stayed up on the hills and provided fire support when needed. But yeah, that terrain isn't the best for heavy armor. 

But you can’t argue with that big 120mm German tube. 

• Like 3

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, Clunkmeister said:

I think most of the Canuck 2A6Ms are back home. Very few left in country. But they were needed when there. Most of the US Abrams were busy in Iraq  

Mostly they stayed up on the hills and provided fire support when needed. But yeah, that terrain isn't the best for heavy armor. 

But you can’t argue with that big German tube. 

• Like 2

Meanest??? ... so many tanks ... so little time ...

I'd go with original Tiger - scared the pants of more than a few.

My all time FAVOURITE would have to be the Panzer.III with a 50mm L.60 (Ausf.J-M) ... great little all rounder!!

Rog :)

• Like 3

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Meanest??? ... so many tanks ... so little time ...

I'd go with original Tiger - scared the pants of more than a few.

My all time FAVOURITE would have to be the Panzer.III with a 50mm L.60 (Ausf.J-M) ... great little all rounder!!

Rog :)

Agreed on the Panzer lll. A good, solid all around war machine. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

But you can’t argue with that big 120mm German tube. 

That's what my son Tyler said, as he was a Squadron Commander of 5 Leopards in Afghanistan, got into a couple arguments with the bad guys too, and yes supported the US Marines, and I spoke to a US Marine Major, who said they were VERY glad to have the Leopards with them, and felt very safe when they were on the field together, and yeah the firing system is incredible, bounding along at 45 mph over rough ground and get a perfect shot every time !

• Like 3

To answer the question fairly, the measure has to be up against its contemporaries, rather than simply measured against the most modern of tanks. By this metric, I'd have to go with the original MK IV male of WW1, simply because it had no contemporaries to speak of, and whole battalions of Fritz routed at their approach, or, the immediate post war Centurion, which had I think the perfect balance of firepower, armour, speed and excellent design. If only it'd been available 3 years earlier!

There's a few I'd exclude from the list, the Abrahms. Tiger I for openers. The Abrahms because although very quick and capable, absolutely requires both total air-superiority and lack of insurgency along the supply lines to keep a large formation of them moving, so much fuel does it use. Against the Russians or Chinese neither of these pre-requirements can be gaurenteed. The Tiger 1 because although it instilled fear, it was hideously unreliable and expensive, hard to recover far more were lost due being abandoned for want of time to repair than were knocked out. It failed utterly, as a strategic vehicle, and similar vanity projects sapped German war-production.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry guys, but the baddest ass of them all was the Tiger I

16589ba3bfec8d2201d48c8b1690c98e

Armor to defeat the best anti-tank belts...  yes, anti-tank belts, not some lonely Ratch-bum hiding behind the only bush on the Steppe.  And a gun and optics made to reach out and touch someone.  No tank will ever mete out as much punishment or have a greater kill to loss ratio.  When people think of tank, 70% or better think of this very baddass machine.

Gaz

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Of WW2? Most definitely the tiger! But, having stood in front of both, if you find the tiger scary, the king tiger is totally brown-trousers-bicycle -clips time. All the statistical analysis in the world would be of little help if a working one these hove into view! 

a good read is Catch that Tiger, the true story of how the UK acquired the famous example in the tank museum at Bovington.

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

• Like 2