The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

How many?

As you may know I'm moving. I've been confronted about the number of models I now

have that are in my stash. I have probably about 20 kits. This has Been regarded as being

"Abnormal" by my mother, who says; "Don't you buy another model until you've finished all the models

you have".  Yes, I'm A grown man (old) ,but, she is still a fountain of advice. Now, I'll come to the

Point and ask what the forum regards as "normal" when it comes to stash size.

Thanks;

Paul.

• Like 5

If you ask here in the forum, you will get an answer which will be way different from what I call the sane rest of the society. For example, If I would reduce my stash, which I see as 'normal', by 90% my not modelling wife will react in a similar way, like your mother. You will notice, it's not about being 'normal', being different is why we are here.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 7

I still have far less kits in my stash than the pairs of shoes my former wife used to have. And you can only wear a pair at a time, can’t you (an argument a woman should be able to relate too, :sofa: ) ?

Hubert

PS: and A LOT, if not all, of those pairs were far more expensive than any single box in the stash :stirthepot: )

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I loved models before I knew what love was.  I have approximately 60 kits.  My wife thinks I don't need more.  But I try to build around a dozen a year so I can keep buying without really accumulating more kits.

I never stop to think about my wife before I buy another kit.

• Like 5

My paltry stash consists of only 15 completely unstated pristine boxing’s. This is more due to circumstance than want. Don’t get me wrong, I do “lust” after all sorts of kits…….:(………..one day maybe…..

Also, maybe just me but parents are not always right and as they age they have opinions that quite, in my honest opinion aren’t worth the time of day……..can you tell I’ve never had therapy…..:o

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I think I'm around the 200 mark. It's smaller than it was thanks to my boys raiding it and building stuff I most likely won't get to. 

I know one guy who has 5,000 kits in his stash and my LHS bought one at an estate sale that had 10,000 kits. 

As for what my wife thinks, Sue doesn't mind too much but is more concerned about where the finished ones would go.:D

Carl

• Like 8

I had this discussion with Wolf a few years back and we came to the conclusion that the models themselves are just the tip of the iceberg, the real trouble is the aftermarket, whilst the price of it dramatically surpassing the initial investment to the plastic itself.

BTW: Paul, I have few 1/35 armour kits in various stages , if you like them ,let me know and I will send it your way.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

I had this discussion with Wolf a few years back and we came to the conclusion that the models themselves are just the tip of the iceberg, the real trouble is the aftermarket, whilst the price of it dramatically surpassing the initial investment to the plastic itself.

BTW: Paul, I have few 1/35 armour kits in various stages , if you like them ,let me know and I will send it your way.

I'm not talking about AM. That's another chapter...lol....harv

• Like 4

In my club...   we had this guy who passed in his early seventies of a massive heart attack.  He had a shipping container beside his house packed with models.

Containers-with-logo-4.jpg

He was a member of more than one club, so they put everything on pallets and set to liquidating it to save his unfortunate missus the problem.  However...   there was more...  Because this guy...  if he had two kits that were very similar...  he would chop them into pieces and squeeze them into one box. 

Really...  it was a mess.

But I got a Dragon Puma for half of retail from it.

dml6256.jpg

There were kits without boxes...   it boggled the mid to imagine how much time he must have put into stashing.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I think I'm around the 200 mark. It's smaller than it was thanks to my boys raiding it and building stuff I most likely won't get to. 

I know one guy who has 5,000 kits in his stash and my LHS bought one at an estate sale that had 10,000 kits. 

As for what my wife thinks, Sue doesn't mind too much but is more concerned about where the finished ones would go.:D

Carl

Similar Carl. My wife doesn't care how many I have (not many) as it keeps me out of her hair but the display cabinet I got for my 50th was a big hint to keep them in a nice dust free space!

• Like 5

Mine would be approaching the hundred mark; combining Aircraft, Armour, 1/24 Autos and a few Figure kits. In other words, far to many to ever complete in my lifetime.

48 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

In my club...   we had this guy who passed in his early seventies of a massive heart attack.  He had a shipping container beside his house packed with models.

Containers-with-logo-4.jpg

After sitting out in the Queensland heat, sealed inside a shipping container, I find myself asking...

How warped is the plastic in that Puma kit Gaz?

S

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Wumm said:

Mine would be approaching the hundred mark; combining Aircraft, Armour, 1/24 Autos and a few Figure kits. In other words, far to many to ever complete in my lifetime.

After sitting out in the Queensland heat, sealed inside a shipping container, I find myself asking...

How warped is the plastic in that Puma kit Gaz?

S

You know...  I haven't even pulled anything from the bags, yet.

• Like 5