The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

I was walking around a chain store called Hobby Lobby and wandered into the clearance section to find a 1/12 model figure of the bounty hunter Boba Fett. It was one of only a couple Bandai items in the clearance area. So it was marked down 35% and then they had a flash sale in the model area of another 40% off. 

He will look good along with his partner, the Mandalorian (also got at a huge discount on him earlier this year)

While not epic, they are great deals that will allow me to branch out from my normal type of builds.

Ben / DRUMS01

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 4/26/2022 at 1:29 PM, DocRob said:

I never thought it through completely, but wouldn't it be possible to paint the entire turtle in black, using a Molotow masking pen for masking the demacration lines and then spray the camo. If the Molotow masking pens adhere well enough, it should be possible. It was my first thought for a  French Schneider tank, but then I changed my mind and will built it as Spanish Republican tank.

Cheers Rob

Interesting.

I was thinking about buying the Hobby Boss Schneider, and I have Takom's St. Chamond,

but the camouflage has always been a bit daunting to me. I also have the big Takom ft

tanks, which being larger, doing the camouflage might be a little easier. I guess I must

Eventually get over my inhibitions and go ahead and give it a try. I'm dying to build 

Takom's St. Chamond  as it is one of those "So weird I must build it tank kits" as is the

Schneider. Also, I've been looking at those Gundam  markers. The fact that somebody

used a sharpie  I found amusing somehow .

• Like 4

More stuff came today:

From Tamiya; their M4A3E8 "Easy Eight" Korean War kit in 1/35 (#35359-4000). This

is the kit that also includes Sprues for their older GAZ67B in 1/35 (# MM 121). I remember building this little Soviet "jeep" back in the early '80's. A look on Scalemates

showed that it dates to 1973! So, A little nostalgia for me. Anyway, I plan to use the

Star Decals  AFV's in Cuba #1 sheet to build a Sherman that was in Santa Clara, Cuba in

January 1959 .  The kit looks great , as it's a Tamiya, after all ! I already ordered a Aber barrel (#35L-186) for it, which wasn't easy to find in stock anywhere. I got it from Burbank's House of Hobbies if anyone is looking for one. Also today I got three bottles of

Vallejo's "liquid" metallic paints: their gold (#791), copper (#797), and silver (#790)

I'm looking forward to trying these out.

DSCN0600_kindlephoto-31746330.jpg

Screenshot_20220428-151200_kindlephoto-35367215.png

DSCN0602_kindlephoto-39096483.jpg

• Like 11

Some more stuff today

From Ammo-Mig three products:

Their Tracks Wash enamel. (A.Mig-1002)

Heavy Chipping Effects chipping fluid

Light Dust Nature Effects.

Yes, I'm going to try some weathering for a change. I also plan to buy some pigments

and some washes. I also would like to try my hand at some wood graining, so I purchased some Winsor & Newton oils in burnt umber, burnt sienna, and raw sienna.

I thought that might be fun. I'm working on a 1/16 tank and I want to make the tool handles look better. There's a shovel and the wood block used with the jack. 

DSCN0607_kindlephoto-40568857.jpg

DSCN0608_kindlephoto-40542368.jpg

• Like 8

22 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

I looked up those Mig-Ammo sets. They look like interesting products.

Thanks for the info.

Paul.

Hi Paul

I know you could achieve the same effects by mixing white or another pale colour with the base OD to achieve this same modulation but it's so much more controllable with these pre-mixed sets and just gives a more consistent result. If you like Ammo products it's worth checking out the transparator which they produce as I used it in about a 50-50 mix with the lightest colours of the modulation set. It just increases the transparency of the paint layer but it seems to do it in a simpler way than thinning the paints with the Ammo acrylic thinner. Maybe it's just me, but I just think that the products Mig produces just seem to work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Artful69 said:

Finally!!! ....

Waiting over 2 months for this package to arrive from Hong Kong ... :rolleyes:

e60Jo20.jpg

An Early Ki.43-II ...

lPcEhcr.jpg

And a couple of new Border Model Luchs 

n2pbfn3.jpg

Rog :)

Are you still hoping to make a I out of that II, Rog?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Ronald said:

I got these nice B-17 RAF decals after asking Franta (DK decals) a few times to upscale them. Hopefully he will do the same for the B-24D RAF decals he has in 1/72.

DF53678E-7F7C-446E-9DBA-E39B123B4C9A.jpeg

ThIs would be an amazing conversion, wonder how difficult it would be?……

• Like 3

I dropped Edward off at a classmate's birthday party and hit Sunward Hobbies that was nearby. They had a couple TruColors paint sets on sale. The sets were basically the price of a single bottle so I grabbed a couple. 

PXL_20220430_201917750.thumb.jpg.d87d20ab143bc430e289d6181ff90f1f.jpg

The shop said they're going to discontinue carrying it as it's been a hard sell. That too bad as it's a great paint. 

BTW, if anyone is looking for the tiny square bottles of Testors enamels, they have what looks to be a full rack of them. 

Carl

• Like 6

Received two sets of upgrades for the J-29 F Tunnan rom Resin2detail. As designed, the kit's nose is wrong, being too short - by 1.5 mm - and with a too big intake in diameter (3 mm extra dia). Resin2detail have produced 3D-printed replcements for the nose, for the exhaust, as the kit's one is a bit heavy, and also a boarding ladder.

Here are the pics, lifted from Resin2detail's site :

1/32 J-29 Tunnan Seamless Intake and Rotor 32080

1/32 FAST FIXJ-29 Tunnan Resin Boarding Ladder 32084

1/32 J-29 F Tunnan Seamless Svenska Flygmotor RM2B Afterburner + Exhaust 32083

As a side, but very important, comment, I'd like to have a big shout-out for Brian at Resin2detail.

The first upgrade of the exhaust released turned out to be wrong : adequate for a -B version, but not for the -F which had an afterburner. This emerged from a discussion on LSP. Resin2detail made and printed the new, correct exhaust, that you see on this pic. And these are being sent for free to the customers like me who ordered the first, wrong, exhaust. Plus I got in my package a complimentary FOD cover and side intakes for the Tunnan :) !

Now that's what I call GREAT - wait, OUTSTANDING - customer service !

Hubert

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Today's mail brought Tamiya's U.S. M8 light armored car Greyhound (MM No. 228) in 1/35

scale. I had intended to use my Star Decals Afv's in Cuba # 1 to make a Cuban M8 but I see that the example on the decal sheet is a modified example. Well, perhaps I can represent the vehicle in its pre-modified  form.

35228_a__73543.1491196324.jpg

• Like 6

Today this came: AFV Club sIG33 15 cm Heavy Infantry Gun.

It comes with a drilled-through metal barrel with rifling, photo etch parts, three wheel choices, and choice of firing or travel configurations. It can also be built as an early or late model. The elevation and traverse are functional.

DSCN0620_kindlephoto-1173050.jpg

• Like 7