Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

What is on your bench right now ? Share a picture :)

Martinnfb

Went outside for this one. Got a hitch for the new car and installed it tonight. Ended up needing a small sledge hammer and an angle grinder to get it on. It ended up taking around an hour and half to get the job done. Instructions said 30 minutes and made no mention of angle grinders or sledge hammers. 

PXL_20210409_011126954.thumb.jpg.a587cb30913da6bbd042d6c1fa4bbb35.jpg

But we can put our bike rack on the car now. 

Next job is assembling said bike rack. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

Angle grinder and sledge, you said? ,,,must be made by Trumpeter. :)

Actually it's because I wanted a hitch with a 2" receiver which meant a Class III hitch. Curt only lists a Class III hitch for the Element LX and EX but not the SC. I figured "how different could they be". Turns out that the SC has a different bumper so had to cut away the extra bumper mounts (angle grinder) and then straighten the centre hitch mounting plate (sledge). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Actually it's because I wanted a hitch with a 2" receiver which meant a Class III hitch. Curt only lists a Class III hitch for the Element LX and EX but not the SC. I figured "how different could they be". Turns out that the SC has a different bumper so had to cut away the extra bumper mounts (angle grinder) and then straighten the centre hitch mounting plate (sledge). 

Bravely modified!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Testing montex masks and MIG acrylic paints.  Paint with great results, masks not so much. :)

You can't beat Kabuki, all others may mean trouble, with too much or too less adhesion, border lifts, shrinking,...

Nice looking gullwing, Martin :thumbsup2:.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Even though the engine is without an airframe now, I finished tweaking the design of the G&R Mistral 9 engine, just so that it's all done, and everything aligns as it should, including the pushrods ;)

i-Q2XwWvR-600x511.png i-V2xfCmH-600x593.png

i-jM9W3Mj-600x471.png i-j32c5jc-600x562.png

It looks like a G&R engine, methink ...

Hubert

PS: in case you are wondering, like me, what these bulges on the intake pipes were for, I just found out last week that they held a device to prevent a flame return in the carburetor. You learn every day ...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter TF Mk X 404 Sqn RCAF RAF Dallachy very late 1944. Primer is on. I have removed the battle damage repair plates from on top of the wings, blanked the wing gun ports and landing lights as not used on rocket equipped aircraft. Removed the tailplane linkages which Tamiya wrongly placed on the upper surface when they should be underneath. waiting now for paint for top surfaces, just about to mask for the bottom paint. Really enjoying the build so far. 

IMG_0124.thumb.JPG.134328c0c39b66fbcfe4bf5a6f253425.JPG

Cheers

Kev 

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Jackster said:

Tamiya 1/48 Beaufighter TF Mk X 404 Sqn RCAF RAF Dallachy very late 1944. Primer is on. I have removed the battle damage repair plates from on top of the wings, blanked the wing gun ports and landing lights as not used on rocket equipped aircraft. Removed the tailplane linkages which Tamiya wrongly placed on the upper surface when they should be underneath. waiting now for paint for top surfaces, just about to mask for the bottom paint. Really enjoying the build so far. 

Cheers

Kev 

Keeping it local Kev?

Looks great so far. :thumbsup2:

• Like 4

Thanks for comments guys. 

16 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

that kit is of a vintage now......

I bought it when it first came out late 90's I think. I was going to get back into modelling then but it was another 15 years or so before that happened. :o

15 hours ago, GusMac said:

Keeping it local Kev?

Aye GusMac, it has been interesting reading about the Banf strike wing, I did not know about Black Friday before I started. An ill fated attack on German shipping in Norway, The bravery of these young men never ceases to amaze me. I also have a 1/24 Mossie to do as well so that will be part of the same wing.

• Like 4

On 4/14/2021 at 9:54 AM, Jackster said:

Cheers

Kev 

Looks good so far Kev. I've got a Revell 1/32 Beaufighter that I plan to use for a Black Friday build too.

Carl

• Like 4

Man, the squirrel is strong this year. I've been having a hard time focusing on a single build. Case in point:

PXL_20210417_010541604.thumb.jpg.4c05d0830f448826de3f7969bbb00691.jpg

With it being a Bandai kit, I might actually get to the end of it. Knock on wood.

On a separate note, we had to fix the faucet at the front of our house which meant we had to take down one of the false walls in the basement. Doing so, we found a bunch of extra space which has led to the decision to reorganize the basement. Which means my bench will be moving soon. The good news is I'll finally get a dedicated painting area.

Here's the space in question. 

PXL_20210417_011023049.thumb.jpg.ac196d0cdd6ff1d7ac9c574b2da82b92.jpg

The wall used to go straight across. You can make out where I cut it at the top left. It's now on the right side of the pic. The space actually extends an additional two feet behind that so is a fair size. Moving everything around should hopefully open up some more space overall.

Carl

• Like 7

8 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Man, the squirrel is strong this year. I've been having a hard time focusing on a single build. Case in point:

PXL_20210417_010541604.thumb.jpg.4c05d0830f448826de3f7969bbb00691.jpg

With it being a Bandai kit, I might actually get to the end of it. Knock on wood.

On a separate note, we had to fix the faucet at the front of our house which meant we had to take down one of the false walls in the basement. Doing so, we found a bunch of extra space which has led to the decision to reorganize the basement. Which means my bench will be moving soon. The good news is I'll finally get a dedicated painting area.

Here's the space in question. 

PXL_20210417_011023049.thumb.jpg.ac196d0cdd6ff1d7ac9c574b2da82b92.jpg

The wall used to go straight across. You can make out where I cut it at the top left. It's now on the right side of the pic. The space actually extends an additional two feet behind that so is a fair size. Moving everything around should hopefully open up some more space overall.

Carl

That's quite a space to not-know-about.  Good thing it wasn't occupied.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GazzaS said:

That's quite a space to not-know-about.  Good thing it wasn't occupied.

We knew there was some space back there but not how much. It's obvious that they closed it off as it was easier to build the wall straight across rather than make it fit. 

Thankfully there weren't any real surprises back there. Except for some scat from our cat who managed to sneak back there before we took it down. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BevanBrooks said:

Revell's 262 night fighter ready for some dirt and grime. Landing gear in the mix as well.

Cheers Bevan 

20210416_205247.jpg

20210416_205302.jpg

Looks really good. I like the different camo scheme....harv :popcorn:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How do you get anything done in that work environment, Carl?

We have Cocker Spaniel hairs floating around in the Fish tank, let alone on the modelling bench. The Fish Tank! 

S

• Like 1
  • Haha 4