The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

The Force is strong with this one...

This great big box has been staring at me for weeks.

20190115-192951.jpg

I got some other goodies to go with it, too...

DSCN2115-1.jpg

DSCN2116-1.jpg

At least once every day, I'd open the box, ogle all the styrene stuffed into it - and promptly close it again.

I brought the beast to my monthly club meeting, sure that I would win the "Mine's bigger" bragging rights. I did. I also received a challenge - bring it to build night! Once a week, a group of us meet at a local burger joint for a little camaraderie and to build. Challenge accepted!

I figured I'd start with the resin; that way I won't feel so bad about putting other projects aside for a little while.

DSCN2127-1.jpg

DSCN2126-1.jpg

Still a little filling and sanding to do here.

Barnes Wallis' bouncing bomb...

DSCN2124-1.jpg

DSCN2125-1.jpg

The bearer and framework are only half done here; I like to put them in situ while cement on the cross members dries. More soon!

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Hey Bill

Good start, I'm waiting on mine till you, Nige and others here find all the issues with this kit so I know what to fix on mine :unworthy::D

Ha ha. I'm following Nige. If he drives into a ditch, I think we'll all go in!

• Like 5

This will be a first I think . . . .   good luck with the conversion !

I have already ticked the 'Follow' button

I used to live along the flight path into Scampton but back then it was the great noisy Vulcans of 617 Squadron

David

• Like 3

Nice!  You guys build models in a burger joint??  Will this be the first Lancaster with extra cheese?  I have trouble trying to keep kits free of excess skin oil...hate to imagine the mess I could make.

Tell us more!

GAz

• Like 5

On 2/9/2019 at 3:04 AM, GazzaS said:

Nice!  You guys build models in a burger joint??  Will this be the first Lancaster with extra cheese?  I have trouble trying to keep kits free of excess skin oil...hate to imagine the mess I could make.

Tell us more!

GAz

Yes indeed - a burger joint! This one has a separate room that can be reserved for birthday parties and such. On Thursday nights when we meet, the bar is busy with trivia night, and they still have room for a couple of hundred walk ins. Personally, I limit my build night activities to sanding and cementing - and never any tiny parts!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Historically, it's always been cockpit first for me. Why am I delaying that part? I've been busy with subassemblies...

DSCN2138-1.jpg

DSCN2139-1.jpg

DSCN2137-1.jpg

DSCN2142-1.jpg

I test fitted the landing gear pods into the wings. The starboard side fit like a glove, but I have some sanding to do on the port side.

DSCN2140-1.jpg

DSCN2141-1.jpg

• Like 10

• Administrators
On 2/8/2019 at 12:03 PM, Bill_S said:

Ha ha. I'm following Nige. If he drives into a ditch, I think we'll all go in!

Pressure’s on Nige now to steer us clear of icebergs.  

And Phil, feel free to dive in anytime.  My Lanc build is starting this weekend.  Build thread as well, so here we go.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, FME erk said:

How you getting on with this Bill ?

Is there a blanking plate for the top turret with the conversion set ?

Have you decide which of the Dambusting aircraft it will finish as ?

David

David, Progress has stalled for a few days. I'm awaiting masks for the canopies - it's delaying paint on the interior. There is no blanking plate supplied with Iconicair's conversion set. All resin for that goes on the bottom of the aircraft. As far as markings, right now I'm leaning toward Maltby's AJ-J. It was the last aircraft to attack the Mohne dam.

• Like 6