The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Summertime blues...

Mikester

• Members

Any other garage modelers out there?  I've reached that time of year where the garage is just unbearably hot to work in.  Made a couple of attempts but it's just been too miserable.  Going to have a custom built work space when i retire until then....wait for the fall!

• Like 4

I have a room connected to the garage where my ab is set up and most of my gear is kept, but a lot of my minor assembling takes place in the finished basement in my PC room. Neither place is with AC but the basement is cooler than the garage. But for me it is the bugs more than the heat. 

• Like 2

"You can't use the car, cause you didn't work a lick..."

Springs immediately to mind.

I spray outdoors at the side of the house, where it's dust free and there's rarely any breeze due to the proximity of next door's garage wall. Everything inside is invariably covered in Cocker Spaniel hair!

• Like 3

I paint on the verandah....  winter or summer.  I use a shop compressor which my wife 'loves' to hear.  My house is a haven for cat and dog hair.   At least on the verandah there is no cat hair.  Two weeks ago I got my first Tamiya anti-static brush.  A gift from heaven!  Already drastically reducing the amount of crap that ruins my surfaces.

We got aircon in the house last year.  Now, I don't have to sweat to enjoy my hobby in the summer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nmayhew said:

that looks pretty cool - especially like the lights

It’s only drawback is, it’s only big enough for single engine 1/32. When I paint bigger, I extend the bottom and sides with cardboard. However, if you get two, you can connect them! They even sell two packs.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

It’s only drawback is, it’s only big enough for single engine 1/32. When I paint bigger, I extend the bottom and sides with cardboard. However, if you get two, you can connect them! They even sell two packs.

Can you connect three for multi engine bombers and 32nd scale SU 27 and Tomcats? ^_^

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

Can you connect three for multi engine bombers and 32nd scale SU 27 and Tomcats? ^_^

The biggest issue is depth, I kept stuffing the tail of my helicopter into the filter. You just have to be careful when moving the model around. 

• Like 3

We built a new garage a couple years ago. My wife expressly forbade me from doing any hobbies in it. She said " it's a garage for the cars and not your new workshop".

Since I have pretty much half the basement for my bench and stash, I thought that was fair enough. 

• Like 1

I'm in the lucky position to have my own workshop, a big room with plenty of space and machines for woodwork and lots of tools. In there I have a huge desk for building and another for the spray booth and the photo booth. In winter time it is a little cold sometimes, but in summertime it is the coolest part of the house. We have lots of humidity in the air, which at least reduces dust problems while spraying.

I had a similar booth like 1to1scale, but decided to enlarge it with a plastic container and add some lighting with LED strips which works fine. A 1/32 Mossie should go in  without problems.

Old :unsure:

P1130941.thumb.JPG.83f4971fff16a80033ed8070cdad5082.JPG

Plan ;)

P1130943.thumb.JPG.8e8950c2fd2988dda75054e4f1a553ff.JPG

New:D

P1130946.thumb.JPG.d55ae897e2896411da98b1c5f451051b.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm fortunate to have about 600 square feet for my workshop in the heated and cooled basement, but right now it is serving as my workshop for a major flooring project in the house. All new floors in every room, almost finished with that then the workshop is going to be gutted and completely redone. Unfortunately that means no building for quite a while!

20190810_073120.jpg

20190810_073132.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/9/2019 at 9:53 AM, 1to1scale said:

This setup is 33” wide, so it’s pretty good for multi engine fuselage, and/or an SU-27.

D5FD640A-2F34-4708-BA7A-2879A234161B.jpeg

Works for me.

20180627_165738.jpgThe LEDs are from Ebay cost about $20.00 bucks.

20180627_165654.jpgI now have them ducked to the window, used the piece of pink foam board in the window to route the ducts through.

Ron G 

• Like 3

House is built on a hill, so one side has a garage entrance with the 3 car wide garage with two doors and a walk through door.  Behind the garage is the basement.  I have a 16’X24’ hobby room that is so full I can hardly walk through.  It connects to my garage, so I crank up my AC window unit I installed by cutting a hole in the 10” poured concrete wall.  I wish I had made it oversized and framed in a slot to put a vent for a paint booth.   

Now the upside to this is just today I had to do a brake job on my daughters car.   Pulled it in the garage, closed the doors and opened up my workshop and the adjoining basement room and circulated cooled air into my garage so I could work in the low 80’s/70’s while it was 95 degrees out with 75% humidity.  

I have too many hobbies that take up space in my workshop.  I have to store my woodworking tools on carts, band saw, table saw until I find time to rework my garage storage area.   

I still need to figure out how to vent out fumes from my workshop.  

• Like 5