The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HobbyBoss A-26 Invader: Holy Thread Drift, Batman!

Clunkmeister

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Old Dog said:

Should be a good seller if the Trumpeter "A" team dose it. Too big for me in 1/32 but fortunately ICM is doing several variants in 1/48 which will fit my display space much better.

HA!   I was thinking about a Counter-Invader.  The gun nose version would be an easier conversion, but this will do...

• Like 2

• Administrators

My first will be a Air Commando Counter Invader in its blackout no insignia except tail codes paint scheme to go with my two AT-28D-5 builds, OV-10A, and Bird Dog.

But the next will be a big yellow firebomber

Now all I need is a C-7 Caribou and my jungle warfare SpecOps bird collection will be complete.

• Like 3

The Mustang is 1/72. This A-26 does look as though it would be about 26 inches in wing span compared to the P-51D's 6 inches, which would be the appropriate size for the scales we're talking about here. And, the sign is using their standard SKU for 1/32 kits. It is good practice to have at least three pieces of evidence but the two seen here are highly suggestive.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

The Mustang is 1/72. This A-26 does look as though it would be about 26 inches in wing span compared to the P-51D's 6 inches, which would be the appropriate size for the scales we're talking about here. And, the sign is using their standard SKU for 1/32 kits. It is good practice to have at least three pieces of evidence but the two seen here are highly suggestive.

This is verified with a trip through Photoshop. Setting the scale using the B-24's box width of 15.75 inches I made the following measurements in the above photo:

• 25.95 inch wingspan 
  • 2.23 inch prop radius. 

The A-26 wingspan is 70 feet or 840 inches. Scaled to 1:32, 26.25 inches.
The A-26 swings a 12'7" prop making it's diameter 151 inches with a radius of 75.5 inches which is 2.35 inches in 1:32 scale.

A few of things to note about this method of measurement:

1. It is accomplished by assigning a length to each pixel using a known dimension. In this case the B-24 box width of 15.75 (400mm).
  2. Measurements taken at the same depth in the photo and closer to where the scale was assigned are more accurate. 
  3. Diagonal measurements (like the wingspan in this case) are more likely to be skewed.

Forcing the photo's scale to the scale wingspan of 26.25 inches across the wing area of the photo results in more accurate measurements. This is relative to true scale and not the model's actual measurements. 

• 26.22 wingspan
  • 2.33 prop radius

Brought to you by a Saturday morning trip through OCD land! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

:rofl:

Sluggo, you just nuked my mind on this Saturday morning.  All that math so early in the day just cratered my mind.

We need an emoticon called "Mind Blown" ... something with the top of the emoji's head exploding ... maybe some blood and gore.

Rog :)

• Like 7

Hey, this is good, basic, logical, detective work ! Much better than wild « gutfeel » speculations ;).

And in this case, it goes to show that the A-26 was not such a big airframe.

Oh, and a last mathematical reminder : a 1/32 kit has roughly 11.4 (11.390625 to be precise) times more « presence » than the same aircraft in 1/72.

Hubert

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, 1to1scale said:

It’s very amusing watching this thread here and on the “other” forum, over there discussion has turned to threats and name calling and warnings of locking the thread! The wheels has fallen off the bus and it’s careening down the mountain...

62D3FB9D-9A71-475B-BFC1-CD9EEEB94C1A.jpeg

:rofl:

• Like 2