The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HobbyBoss A-26 Invader: Holy Thread Drift, Batman!

Clunkmeister

The subtle, yet fundamental difference between that site and this one...

Here:

"That cowling looks flawed. But I can still make something out of it."

There:

"That cowling looks flawed.

You wanna make something of it?"

• Like 5

I went and checked the LSP thread on this kit. It effectively went south in one day :( ... so sad ... ( in the meantime I went to a modelling expo south of Lisbon, in Montijo. Some nice kits, not many in 1/32 - about 6 or 7 overall -, of which at least 2 P-51s and 3 Spitfires, and all «plagued » -IMHO- by ‘Spanish-school’ type of finish, but for a nice, if a bit bland in the hall’s poor lighting, Tempest).

It’s a nice subject, it’s a 1/32 twin, it spanned WWII to Vietnam, and it can even allow some civvies’ schemes. Rejoice, and get on with the wrong cowlings, whether you modify them, design-and-print new ones, or wait for the inevitable correction and  detailing sets :poo:

Hubert

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Wumm said:

The subtle, yet fundamental difference between that site and this one...

Here:

"That cowling looks flawed. But I can still make something out of it."

There:

"That cowling looks flawed.

You wanna make something of it?"

Don't forget to say it in a tone that suggests that if you do buy one you are inferior and an idiot.

• Like 3

And of course now, true to form and contrary to past protestations; all traces of bickering and passive- aggressive bullying have been removed from said thread.

Hypocrites as well an Enablers.  

Here's a tip Guys... If it's embarrassing enough to delete in hindsight, it should have been deleted at the time.

• Like 4

• Administrators
11 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

It’s very amusing watching this thread here and on the “other” forum, over there discussion has turned to threats and name calling and warnings of locking the thread! The wheels has fallen off the bus and it’s careening down the mountain...

62D3FB9D-9A71-475B-BFC1-CD9EEEB94C1A.jpeg

I just don’t understand that mindset. One of the things I was told when I was asked to help out here was as long as it didn’t involve personal information, blatant personal attacks, threats, or similar, to call the person out and let the stupid stuff stand for all the world to see how moronic a comment it was.  Everyone’s an adult and can generally self moderate, especially when your idiocy is in plain view of the world.

But I will say that this has to be the most well behaved, happy, and friendly bunch in the modeling community. And the key is MODELLING community. We all build. Most of us have two or three on the go at any one time, plus a bunch on the SOD.  We might not be as busy as they are, but given time, I expect it will change. 

In the meantime, this kit plugs a huge hole in my want list, goofy cowlings or not, even more now with my determination to concentrate more on Civilian builds.

edit: went and read that thread over there.  :(  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Some people have an axe to grind with Trumpeter/Hobby Boss.  Yes, they do commit some blunders and some head scratchers but I still prefer to judge each kit on it's own merits, or lack thereof.  They've brought us a lot of interesting subjects in 1/32 that no one else has ever touched.  Buy it or don't but please leave out all the hysterics and rhetoric.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mikester said:

Some people have an axe to grind with Trumpeter/Hobby Boss.  Yes, they do commit some blunders and some head scratchers but I still prefer to judge each kit on it's own merits, or lack thereof.  They've brought us a lot of interesting subjects in 1/32 that no one else has ever touched.  Buy it or don't but please leave out all the hysterics and rhetoric.

One could  argue that 1/32nd scale would have not gotten to where it is without Trumpeter, warts and all.

• Like 6

• Members
14 minutes ago, smitty44 said:

One could  argue that 1/32nd scale would have not gotten to where it is without Trumpeter, warts and all.

I kind of credit Hasegawa's 1/32 Bf 109G-6 with really kindling the interest in 1/32 but HB/Trumpeter have done some interesting stuff that are reasonably good kits.

• P-61
  • Il-2
  • Ju 87A
  • B-24
  • Mig 3

Who else is going to do those?  They really have helped advance the 1/32 cause (and 1/24 for that matter).

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Mikester said:

I kind of credit Hasegawa's 1/32 Bf 109G-6 with really kindling the interest in 1/32 but HB/Trumpeter have done some interesting stuff that are reasonably good kits.

• P-61
  • Il-2
  • Ju 87A
  • B-24
  • Mig 3

Who else is going to do those?  They really have helped advance the 1/32 cause (and 1/24 for that matter).

True, Mike. I do credit others for starting the ball rolling. I still remember the first time I walked in to Brookhurst Hobbies, and they had the first Tamiya Tomcat built up....Oh my. Over a $100 bucks for a model!!! My how times have changed.

• Like 4

I really like Hobby Boss. I have a couple being worked on in my SoD. Yesterday I ordered some AM from Hannants and resisted the urge to buy 2 1/48 Rafaels and tiger meet decal sheets.i have the Revell Rafael M. Until I build the one I own I can't justify buying more. Having said that i have 2 Super Etendards, Kinetic and Kitty Hawk. 3 AMX jets, 2 Hobby Boss and 1 Kinetic...

Mmmmmmmm, French Tiger Meet decals.......:D

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 1:55 AM, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

Lovely to see an A-26. Sadly too big for me. 

I really want to build my 1/32 Ju-88 but have nowhere to put it when complete. Large scale is great if one has the space. I am in a studio apartment. Hardly room for 1/72. :D

Do you not have a ceiling?

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 12:36 PM, 1to1scale said:

It’s very amusing watching this thread here and on the “other” forum, over there discussion has turned to threats and name calling and warnings of locking the thread! The wheels has fallen off the bus and it’s careening down the mountain...

62D3FB9D-9A71-475B-BFC1-CD9EEEB94C1A.jpeg

:D

• Like 1

I wish I had a picture, but it was way before the digital age when the situation I am about to describe was a thing and I have only this tale to tell:

West of Gainesville, FL, are a number of springs and limestone caverns that were/are popular with the locals and students attending the University of Florida (This is how I came had my experience). The vast majority are closed to public access now (Hmm, I wonder why that had to happen?) and it was dark on my particular journey plus being over 30 years ago I can not retrace my steps to get a photo. You'll have to take my word for it.

However, the point. There was a particular set of caves at the bottom of a fairly narrow sinkhole (the bottom dropped out and drained it before it could open up any further, making it a fairly steep subsidence area and not a house-swallower). At some point in the past (The past as I knew it in the 1980's) a school bus had been pushed over the lip and down into the sinkhole, thus blocking access around the bus as the hole narrowed. Yes, of course! you knew it was coming! The emergency door at the rear was now the door to the caverns below, and the seats were a ladder system to get to the bottom. Once down, all sorts of hilarious antics ensued! My favorite was 'guy realizing he has a previously unknown fear of intense darkness, freaks out and stands up suddenly, thus hitting head on low cave ceiling and knocking himself out for several minutes". Looking up at those seats hanging above us and contemplating hauling his dumb ass back to the surface... well, let's just say don't suddenly turn off all the light sources 60 feet underground out somewhere between Basyoun and Faiyum, Egypt, without knowing your audience.

I mention this as a way to tell a tangential story and also point out that you might think the bottom of the mountain is where that particular thread should naturally end, but you'd be wrong. It will go as far down as they can gain access. Only a force harder will stop it (i.e., the admins) just as the bus was stopped by a sandstone intrusion under the sinkhole opening.

fin

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

I mention this as a way to tell a tangential story and also point out that you might think the bottom of the mountain is where that particular thread should naturally end, but you'd be wrong. It will go as far down as they can gain access. Only a force harder will stop it (i.e., the admins) just as the bus was stopped by a sandstone intrusion under the sinkhole opening.

It's a particularly apt analogy.

However, the problem persists when a new hole is dug, and members continue to pile in. There's another thread where two of the usual suspects are bickering about the width of slats on a plastic model kit; because they've both seen it and had hands on it, this is enough to validate their opinion over that of the other. And any opinion to the contrary is somehow seen as a personal attack.

All this with Moderators interjecting throughout the thread, yet not at any stage bothering to call out any of this behaviour. 

It's good for a laugh though!

• Like 2