The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Share how COVID-19 Quarantine has affected you.

1to1scale

OMG!  I need to go back to work to get a break from all the work I’m doing around the home.   I had a huge silver maple cut down that was hanging over the house and chimney along with roots heading towards my basement wall.   Had the stump ground up Wednesday.  Now I’m doing the back breaking work of separating wood chips from the dirt.  

If I can complete that, I have to add some dirt and level the side yard and lay down about 4 or 5 pallets of sod.  

• Like 6

On 5/8/2020 at 10:24 PM, ScottsGT said:

OMG!  I need to go back to work to get a break from all the work I’m doing around the home.

Ain't it the truth... Even though I'm lucky enough to still be working.

My Wife is at the end of a month long furlough. Image my surprise to find, after coming home after work during that first week, that apparently we're painting the house and installing wall panelling in the common areas.

IMG_20200510_103724.thumb.jpg.a90d7ac8c6ef20aadb1c1516feb6565a.jpg

She's happy to sand and paint during the week, but needs me to cut and install the panels and mitre the skirting and trims of course. So there goes my weekends!

IMG20200510103902.thumb.jpg.3a59f33d58af5fe6bcfd7829709b872e.jpg

This is of course all supervised by the ubiquitous Site Spaniel. If you're fortunate enough to have one around the house, you will already know that they follow you wherever you go and whatever you do. This invariably leads to paint on the Dog, and Dog on the paint!

IMG_20200510_100059.thumb.jpg.0287350210673eab4780017a63cd1245.jpg

Happy Wife, happy life.

S

• Like 10

On 4/29/2020 at 2:24 PM, HubertB said:

This is where I measure the difference between LSM and other Large Scale forums ... There, a thread drifts into the merits of different single malts and gins, and here in a dissertation about farts :rofl:

Hubert

It’s like I’m sitting in my living room, sadly many conversations boomerang into bodily function discussions!

I wouldn’t have it any other way. :D

• Like 5

On 5/8/2020 at 8:24 AM, ScottsGT said:

OMG!  I need to go back to work to get a break from all the work I’m doing around the home.   I had a huge silver maple cut down that was hanging over the house and chimney along with roots heading towards my basement wall.   Had the stump ground up Wednesday.  Now I’m doing the back breaking work of separating wood chips from the dirt.  

If I can complete that, I have to add some dirt and level the side yard and lay down about 4 or 5 pallets of sod.  

We never had an appreciable interruption in work. Been working every day since the outbreak. I’m not in medical but we are deemed an essential biz.

• Like 6

Still working, and when I get home I still have all my chores to do because my wife and kids aren't able to do some of them during the day.

This whole thing has been no different from any other day except many of the places I normally go are closed and some people wear masks.

• Like 5

Ditto on the last 3 posts. Working from home full time, plus the part time firefighter gig on the weekends. Not too bad, though sometimes a month off with pay sounds attractive. But then again, it always does!!

• Like 3

I think the lockdown is creating a lot of problems with my neighbors.   I have nothing else to do, so I've been bbq'ing a lot and I'm not sharing! 6 am in Texas and the ribs are going on.

20200515_074251.jpg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, TJTX said:

I think the lockdown is creating a lot of problems with my neighbors.   I have nothing else to do, so I've been bbq'ing a lot and I'm not sharing! 6 am in Texas and the ribs are going on.

20200515_074251.jpg

Definitely jealous! After my triple bypass last fall, I've had to watch my diet more. I so want to go and smoke something on our Big Green Egg. Maybe this weekend...

• Like 5

This morning I had my first long swim in the Atlantic since three month :D. It feels great. Actually I wanted to surf, but the waves were too small, but what the heck, it was marvelous, lots of nice fishes to see and feeling the rusting muscles work is like a small step back to normality.

There are four tiny islands in Spain, where there are no more Covid infections since weeks, and these are the guinea pigs for the rest of Spain. I'm lucky to live on one of them, as restaurants are open again, individual sports are allowed, but of course with the rules of social distancing. So it's a lot of mountain biking, running with the dog, swimming and hopefully surfing to get the strained back healed from modelling stiffness.

Cheers Rob

• Like 8

8 hours ago, DocRob said:

This morning I had my first long swim in the Atlantic since three month :D. It feels great. Actually I wanted to surf, but the waves were too small, but what the heck, it was marvelous, lots of nice fishes to see and feeling the rusting muscles work is like a small step back to normality.

This is great for your well-being Rob...

It's good to get back to as close to "normal", whatever form that takes now. Being at one with the Ocean is a special feeling. Keep enjoying the Island Life!

Steve

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wumm said:

This is great for your well-being Rob...

It's good to get back to as close to "normal", whatever form that takes now. Being at one with the Ocean is a special feeling. Keep enjoying the Island Life!

Thanks Steve, and you are absolutely right, whatever sports you do in an ocean, it is always relaxing in a very special way. You have to take what the see gives you, it will be stronger than you all the time, but surfing and swimming offers me the small sensation of partial mastering the element, which I treat with great respect.

Cheers Rob

2 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Have always wanted to live by the ocean, surf on dude.....

Me too Phil and it took some time to put it to reality. I just love to see the Ocean in the morning, it's quite relaxing and I have to confess, my first observation is about the direction of the swell, the tide and the wind. Surfers yarn :D, As a bueno side effect, surfing generates the best beer thirst you can have with the salty water and exhaustion. There is nothing like a post surf cerveza, best drank with the dudes.

Cheers Rob

• Like 7

Martin, dude, you make me laugh....................... so now it starts.............. rip off schemes..... Cathy was on F/B last night and as some may know, they are slowly trying to open here in British Columbia..... she has a hair appointment at a local 'chain salon' for the fancy stuff, usually about $150..... anyway, she sees that a local home grown salon, is now charging a 'Covid Surcharge'...................... for cleaning the stations....  this is NOT the salon she is going to but rather another in our small town....  they are charging $10- 25.00 MORE on EACH customer for a 'covid surcharge'............ for 15 minutes of cleaning each station , supplies, and masks..................... they say the virus wasn't their fault .................. HUH, I don't recall it being OUR fault either............. BUT we as customers are on the HOOK to buck up........... even AFTER the businesses got Federal money, for wage loss, rent, and other sundries, as well as Provincial money for employees etc, where as I got SFA for any financial help, provincially OR federally,  BUT I have to PAY MORE??  Somehow that just doesn't seem the least bit fair to me, so I am going to see just how much or how many more businesses will go this route. The "excuse' used for this local salon said it was ............... get this..................  " a Mandatory Suggestion"  WTF is a Mandatory Suggestion ???? To charge MORE, in my world, it is EITHER 'Mandatory" OR a "Suggestion"................... I get it, this thing hit everyone and hurt a lot of folks, but I personally would rather support a business over and over and over if they were honest and trying to get their customer base back and cared about the guy paying the bills to help keep them afloat, rather than be artificially gouged to fill their void..... this thing hit all of us, in my small brain to me this is 'profiteering' over the pandemic, and I will not support businesses that pull this crap. I get maybe a couple bucks, but 25 !!!  Each customer, and this particular place has MORE than one chair, we did the math, it plays out to a LOT of extra cash in the owners pocket. This kind of profiteering really gets under my skin , what about us folks on fixed incomes?? What about the old folks who fought wars and paid their way all their lives, who don't have that kind of extra money to line some gouger's pockets?? I am waiting for the restaurants to go the same way.... then they will cry the blues when they lose their business, I for one will NOT support a business who intends to profit from this thing we are ALL in....  thanks for letting me rant guys, but this is something we should all be on the look out for, I sure don't mind helping out a little bit, but I sure don't think I should be lining pockets from my meager wage packet.  We all need to absolutely help out, the small businesses, and keep them going, but reasonably not get gouged.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, DocRob said:

Thanks Steve, and you are absolutely right, whatever sports you do in an ocean, it is always relaxing in a very special way. You have to take what the see gives you, it will be stronger than you all the time, but surfing and swimming offers me the small sensation of partial mastering the element, which I treat with great respect.

We were booked again to visit Heron Island in the Capricorn Group this September, but we are unsure whether we can still go this year. Nearby Great Keppel Island has perhaps my favourite place in all the world; the Back Beach, where if you look Eastwards and imagine there is nothing between you and the Chilean coast. Like Heron, there is no surf due to the surrounding Coral shelf, but this is more than made up by the Ocean wildlife and the brilliance of the night skies with no artificial light to spoil the Stargazing.

Magnificent isolation

• Like 7

On 3/24/2020 at 10:14 PM, Wumm said:

I have a Cousin in Rockhampton who works in the Mines out west; he is in isolation as he was on a contact trace list.

On Monday a 30 year old man from this town died, and after the Post Mortem was found to have Covid-19. He had been off work since November last year with an unrelated Medical issue, and had not left the town since February. His Partner has Covid-19 symptoms and is now being tested. Authorities at this stage don't know how they contracted Coronavirus. Because the Virus was not discovered initially, all of the Emergency Services personnel involved in the case have now been isolated and will be quarantined for 14 days... At between possibly 6 to 9 people, this of course will put a strain on the resources of a small community of only 5000. The Man's partner has been transported 200km to the Rockhampton Base Hospital

My Cousin never displayed any symptoms, and despite close contact with known cases was never tested. This is part of the problem... Authorities are not testing enough of those at possible risk, and people with symptoms are still not coming forward to be tested. The town concerned has a lot of Fly-in / Fly-out workers (FIFO) who spend the working week bunking at Mates' houses and fly or drive home to their families on the weekends or on a week on / week off basis. Under this setup, who knows how many people may have been unknowingly exposed.

Our State Government is coming under significant pressure to re-open the Border, as we are still closed to anything other than essential travel from outside the State. Every Winter, thousands of people travel North from the Southern States to follow the Sun. Queensland is unique, in that there are as many people through out the State in regional areas as there are in the Capital City of Brisbane. With only 200 total beds in Rockhampton Hospital for instance, they would be woefully unprepared for a major outbreak in a surrounding town, them alone in Rocky itself as well. At this stage, the State Government is resisting calls from outside influences and Tourism bodies to reopen for mainly economic reasons, insisting that it's no good having a job if you're dead.

Meanwhile, on the weekend, a Container Ship off the Australian Coast lost part of it's load overboard. So we've gone from a situation a few weeks ago where you couldn't get PPE for love nor money, to having face masks washing up on the shore.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-27/sydney-beaches-close-debris-washes-ashore-from-apl-england-ship/12291416

Can 2020 get any more bizarre?

• Like 4

Covid 19 finally affects me!   

My wife went to the doctor and is told she meets enough criteria for a Covid 19 test.  So, I call my employer and have a chat with a supervisor about my responsibilities and their action plan.   I explain that it will take two days to get the result, and since the test is being taken Thursday morning, I wont see the results before Monday.   "Stay at home until you get the results", he says.

While my wife was out getting the test, my immediate supervisor called to see whether I wanted to take the time from long service leave, or sick leave, or annual leave. 

So...  an unexpected 5-day weekend for me.  Now I just have to worry about the test results.

My wife is snoozing on the sofa, having taken the test this morning, while I model.  As a teacher, she's always exposed to snotty nosed kids and we have a grand daughter who goes to daycare.  After a couple of rapid-succession colds, possibly caught from our granddaughter, I started taking a Magnesium-Selenium supplement twice a day in hopes of reducing my suffering from colds and flu.  I also gargle with original Listerine regularly to try to prevent a head cold from moving south.   My prevention seems to work pretty well as I haven't had a nasty chest cold in quite some time.

• Like 3

On 5/19/2020 at 6:15 PM, DocRob said:

As a bueno side effect, surfing generates the best beer thirst you can have with the salty water and exhaustion. There is nothing like a post surf cerveza, best drank with the dudes.

Cheers Rob

My dad was the very first board shaper on the northern Gulf Coast. He was making boards for Challenger/Design Line out of San Diego, and even sold Uggs when it was still just surfwear. After his business died to competition from the trendy chain beach shops, he worked at Pensacola NAS as a fiberglass shaper making stuff as a civilian contractor for the Navy. He retired some time ago, but kept surfing into his 70's.

• Like 6

On 5/19/2020 at 11:15 PM, DocRob said:

... As a bueno side effect, surfing generates the best beer thirst you can have with the salty water and exhaustion. There is nothing like a post surf cerveza, best drank with the dudes ...

Well I do find the same after a golf play, especially whan its warm and sunny like now. The only thing is the course is open (anew) but the club-house bar is still closed, because of Covid-19 restrictions :(

Hubert

• Like 3

10 hours ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

My dad was the very first board shaper on the northern Gulf Coast. He was making boards for Challenger/Design Line out of San Diego, and even sold Uggs when it was still just surfwear. After his business died to competition from the trendy chain beach shops, he worked at Pensacola NAS as a fiberglass shaper making stuff as a civilian contractor for the Navy. He retired some time ago, but kept surfing into his 70's.

There are still many old shapers and surfers from the 70's today, watching the young guns surf in lockdown ( well it's actually been a surfing boom ) at our local of beach, the life guards have given the surfers free range along the whole Manly Beach in Sydney. But before I moved down under. I had my teenage years - through the 70's - along the surfing coast of Cornwall, where the newly employed council lifeguards were all Aussies with Aussie equipment, and they spawned the local surfboard factories then. - a house or garage was often what started these overseas US/Aussie surfing legend imports to build up the UK surfing culture. As a teenager there, we converted roller skates to skateboards, dreaming of attaining what we saw in those overseas Surfer mags. But I shaped boards too, in reality they were mostly old 60's cut down long boards with wood stringers, but I did have the odd fresh new blank and bottles of resin and catalyst ( mostly in those UK glass milk bottles ). The fun shaping a blank was often with those offcut pieces. We had this bet we could fly an off cut foam brick - a square foam block across our lawn just like any balsa wood glider could.. and we did. It was Surfie built lifting body of sorts.
Regards from the Antipodes to all.

Edited by IainMackayDall
odd corrections
  • Like 3