Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Hey folks,

I think this is my first post, I'm normally a lurker, I don't tend to post outside of my regular sites just read other peoples stuff. But I've been told I should post this over here so here I am, cap in hand showing you my finished bird. It's out the box and yes I'm fully aware of all the shortcomings of the kit, Davis Wing, Turrets yardy yar etc etc  :)

I've put Master Model Barrels on it and some RB belts, not that you can see them, but other than that she's El Naturel

Finished in Alclad, Gunze and Ushchi metal powders, weathered with Mig products.

Thanks for looking and be gentle.........

Gary

IMG_3083.thumb.JPG.4a759577140d021132fe160d26536ac5.JPG

IMG_3085.thumb.JPG.04bd99e3d93da12447699793bb42a511.JPG

IMG_3032.thumb.JPG.66e27b086f015414e8e18a65246fce86.JPG

IMG_3035.thumb.JPG.4dacd807f65853a8e04a79371f960527.JPG

IMG_3037.thumb.JPG.97a9a6dc6eaa692106b24ae8018560cc.JPG

IMG_3047.thumb.JPG.40a9cf9d62cc608082541d11a6283cff.JPG

IMG_3050.thumb.JPG.087e3de2443f032ad0502517a5ae7e55.JPG

IMG_3068.thumb.JPG.7d81e26c135fcf2d4cca2b4ccfd28246.JPG

IMG_3075.thumb.JPG.2c85db99122d88b3341f826121a6779e.JPG

IMG_3022.thumb.JPG.4b604b17e55e41708a729cb6c82cdc79.JPG

IMG_3074.thumb.JPG.fb1c310c795040c6e5405b7bde3a989c.JPG

IMG_3038.thumb.JPG.cbc295c418516f41d78741660f8dd5a3.JPG

IMG_3041.JPG

IMG_3049.JPG

IMG_3066.JPG

IMG_3073.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

• Like 21

Welcome to LSM Gary. Your Lib is a nice first entry here being very L of LSM :D. Love your NMF and the finish in general. The lower turret seems to be a possible substitute for lots of nose weight ;).
It is good to see one actually build after all the ranting and yours look very good.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

The turret seams look fine and not as noticeable as some thought, same thing with the wing.

I think this is a fine OOB example done with the right hands.

• Like 4

Thanks Fellas, wow don't know what to say, not used to all the accolades, I must admit I'm enjoying my 5 minutes of fame out here on the interweb.

There's only one way to go now and that's down lol

After such a warm For sure I'll be posting more stuff here for sure.

It might be a few weeks as I've got to finish painting some Warhammer Orc monstrosity for a friend.

I don't tend to build much in the way of big stuff but that's been changing.

The last big thing I built was the Trumpy 1/35 Hind 

IMG_2862.jpg

I've got the HK B-25 and B-17 on the rack of shame.

I feel the need to build some armour, at least you guys are ok with armour so I might post some of that as well.

Thanks for look.

Gary

• Like 7

Great result Gary and the Hind looks pretty cool too.

Proof that no kit is 'unbuildable' and it certainly looks like a Liberator to my non-expert eyes. Weathering is nice and subtle. :thumbsup2:

• Like 5

• Administrators

Welcome to LSM, Gary!  You've achieved a truly stunning result from a supposedly "unbuildable" kit. Superb!  

I look at the turrets and I see many, many hours of buffing and polishing.. LOL  Nicely done.   And that natural metal finish. Just WOW! 

I'm looking forward to seeing more like this, and yes, armor is definitely welcome here. It'll be great to see more armor WIPs and finished work.

I'm sitting here waiting with baited breath anticipation.

- E

• Like 2

Welcome to LSM Gary.

Your Liberator looks really good, and the amount of work you have put in it shows clearly.

Like others, I feel that the seams in the turrets do not show that much, and the polishing you have done was really worth it.

This said, and it is in no way to belittle what you have achieved, because you did with what the kit supplied, the shape of the wing at its root appears really off, whichever way you look at it. And, maybe its emphasized by the red band, but there is something not quite right to my eyes in the shape of the engine cowlings.

Hubert

• Like 3

Yes the wing root is wrong but you shouldn't be able to see it from the photos I've taken, it's not something you'll really see unless you're looking from the other end and you can't because the fuselage is in the way.

As I said from my first post, there are faults with the kit but nothing to stop you building a good example of it. people should stop listening all the armchair modellers and build stuff.

PS Engine cowlings are correct for the variant, people often forget that the Liberator was built across 5 factories by 4 different companies (one built from preassembled sections). Often the differences were quite vast. Another misconception is that the De-Icing boots were solid rubber and weren't susceptible to chipping etc. The solid de-icing boots were stopped after the LB-30 (I had an armchair modeller try to tell me otherwise when I built my Monogram kit, he got put in his place lol).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RAF Liberators said:

Yes the wing root is wrong but you shouldn't be able to see it from the photos I've taken, it's not something you'll really see unless you're looking from the other end and you can't because the fuselage is in the way.

As I said from my first post, there are faults with the kit but nothing to stop you building a good example of it. people should stop listening all the armchair modellers and build stuff.

PS Engine cowlings are correct for the variant, people often forget that the Liberator was built across 5 factories by 4 different companies (one built from preassembled sections). Often the differences were quite vast. Another misconception is that the De-Icing boots were solid rubber and weren't susceptible to chipping etc. The solid de-icing boots were stopped after the LB-30 (I had an armchair modeller try to tell me otherwise when I built my Monogram kit, he got put in his place lol).

The profile shape can be appreciated from a front quarter angle as well, but it is true that the « issue » comparing the kit and the real aircrafts happen aft of the main spar, and is a result, on the 1:1 aicrafts, of the profile as well as of the incidence.

It’s true as well that the Davis profile can appear very clearly like on this pic :

i-S9shnZR-600x381.jpg

... and not so much on other pics, like this one :

i-DCN9rLv-600x400.jpg

And finally, the following pic illustrates both the visible Davis profile from front quarter (IMHO) and the cowling shapes variations you rightly mention. 

i-PNsDrN3-600x408.jpg

I am not trying to be an « armchair » expert, btw, just sharing feelings about my memory of what a B-24 « looks like », compared to the kit.

I reiterate my sincere admiration for you to have completed the kit, in a truly masterful way.

Cheers.

Hubert

• Like 3