The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Scale Infidelity

Ryan

Nope, I build in other scales too. My main scales are 1/32 and 1/48. I have done a few model cars in 1/12 and 1/20 and even a couple of 1/72 AC and 1/144 airliners. 1/48 was my main scales for years just because the stuff i liked wasn't available in 1/32. I built all the big stuff (revell, matchbox, MPC, Airfix etc.) but there wasn't much of it back in the day. Once trumpeter started cranking out good subject matter in 1/32 and that scale became popular in the early 2000's is when I transition to mainly 1/32. People bash trumpeter but I credit them on getting the 1/32 stuff into the mainstream.

• Like 6

Depends on the subject matter for me.

Most sci-fi fighter kits are 1/72 so  I don't have much choice there. At least they're in a constant scale. 

Sci-fi capital ships are all over the map. Bandai's Death Star is 1/2700000 for example but they have the Millennium Falcon available in 1/350, 1/144 and 1/72 so naturally I have all three sizes. 

Aircraft I pretty much stick to 1/32. My boys are happy to pillage the smaller scale kits I still have. 

Cars, I've got some 1/24 but have a bunch of 1/12 kits. 

Carl

• Like 6

I was influenced by the aviation artist Ray Waddey, who was a member of our club. he must have had built every 1/72nd kit out there!

So most of my early work was in 72nd, I wanted to do the same......

• Like 3

For me I build every scale and subject!!!!!! Thou Aircraft I prefer 1/32. But if it's not available Some times we have to go down a scale or two:rolleyes:  But for the Tamiya P-38 F-G does not come in 1/32, so I have ordered a 1/48th and will build four or more as it looks to be a great kit.  Also a favorite of my dad and me. I live an hour away from the old Lockheed plant. The local airport was a P-38 base to.

Hope that helps with your thoughts!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, HubertB said:

Nope. An old faithful in this field ... 1/32 only for aircrafts. Not even considering this abomination of 1/35. And that makes a sizeable stash already B)

Hubert

Yep. Me too........harv

• Like 3

I prefer larger scales, mostly because I don’t have the digital finesse to bring out some of the details I like at smaller scales 

On the other hand, there are some subjects that either won’t ever appear in 1/32 (B-52?  B-36? Pan Am Clipper?) or are prohibitively expensive (the HpH 1/32 PBY comes to mind here)

and then there are the 1/200 ships and 1/35 gunboats...

So as much as I’d prefer to stay with 1/32, I can’t ...

• Like 5

• Administrators

I'm mostly 1/32 scale throughout on aircraft.

However, I have some exceptions. 

I've taken to doing modern Russian jets in 1/48, simply because of space considerations and subject availability. I may follow suit with bit US jets as well.

Big transports are generally in 1/72. By big transports I mean IL76, An124, C130, An12, An22, etc..

If something I love is not available in 1/32, I'll generally build it in the largest available scale.  That means 1/48 Beaver, Otter, Norseman, Caribou, etc.

• Like 4

I'm not picky with the scale. For me it is about the 'WANT-factor'. If there is a kit which attracts my sensors, I add it to my stash, mostly with a more or less fixed idea of the finished build. Although I prefer 1/32, I'm not dogmatic about it. 
My size limit are twin engine planes in 1/32, so the announced B-17 in 1/48 scale is my go to option. I have lots of 1/48 planes and 1/35 armor and even a few 1/72 kits and Steam punk and Sci Fi stuff in 1/20 and 1/32, Cars in 1/24. About figures it has to be at least 1/48, better 1/32, 75mm or even some 1/10 busts.

I have no fixed plan in buying stuff, like only allied planes in 1/32, I'm always in search of interesting subjects and love to be carried away by influences and ideas and sometimes influencers, like you ;).

Cheers Rob

• Like 3

I don't let scale be a deciding factor, I decided to switch most of my single engine fighters to 1/32 several years ago, I don't have the display space for anything larger than small twins in this scale and there are a lot of Japanese single engine aircraft that just aren't available in 1/32. If its an aircraft I want in my collection I will build it regardless of scale as I'm too old to wait for it to appear in a different scale. I have built kits in 1/200, 1/144 and 1/72 as well as 1/48 and 1/32. Yes, at my age 1/200 is a challenge but if it's something you want you do what you gotta do.

• Like 4