Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

Coming today.....

From Takom, in 1/16 scale, is their Kleiner Panzerbefehlswagen 1 Sd.Kfz.265 3 in 1.

An interesting little tank. A radio equipped commander vehicle, it must have been

highly vulnerable with just the one machine gun... Offered in three versions in the kit;

one having the big external antenna as seen on the box art. I saw archive footage of

a bunch of these radio tanks parading around on a field in pre-war Germany the other

night....I also saw these in archival footage of the invasion of France. Wnat we need now

is a 1/16 Char B1 bis tank.....Man! I'd like to see that! Anyway, looks like a cool kit.

tak01017_kindlephoto-106432561.jpg

pzkpfw1b SdKfz 265 brand new (1)_1_kindlephoto-107640793.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

A recent kit release. 

PXL_20230425_181514569.thumb.jpg.aad04205f8574f019c73fcf8f42f629f.jpg

LZ  Models had a pre-order bonus of a resin driver and tires so I picked it up from them. The box got a bit smushed but the plastic is all good. 

Carl, NO more new starts until the Scammel is finished….. I’m gonna tell your mom on you !🤣🤭

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Carl, NO more new starts until the Scammel is finished….. I’m gonna tell your mom on you !🤣🤭

Scammell? Oh, yeah the Scammell. I need to get back to that at some point. :lol:

Thankfully I'm calling this one done. 

PXL_20230426_013104622_MP.thumb.jpg.19d1a8fca368f1f8279cc4cdd719cc4d.jpg

PXL_20230426_013134543.thumb.jpg.f5e60067da8d9ea61cb204cb06d555e7.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2023 at 5:08 AM, belugawhaleman said:

Coming today.....

From Takom, in 1/16 scale, is their Kleiner Panzerbefehlswagen 1 Sd.Kfz.265 3 in 1.

An interesting little tank. A radio equipped commander vehicle, it must have been

highly vulnerable with just the one machine gun... Offered in three versions in the kit;

one having the big external antenna as seen on the box art. I saw archive footage of

a bunch of these radio tanks parading around on a field in pre-war Germany the other

night....I also saw these in archival footage of the invasion of France. Wnat we need now

is a 1/16 Char B1 bis tank.....Man! I'd like to see that! Anyway, looks like a cool kit.

tak01017_kindlephoto-106432561.jpg

pzkpfw1b SdKfz 265 brand new (1)_1_kindlephoto-107640793.jpg

The command vehicle was very useful in the early stages of the war ... Up front with the panzer divisions but just rear of the direct engagement. More armour than the Panzerspähwagen (though only to protect against small arms fire), yet just as quick and manoeuvrable while also tracked allowing great cross country capability - so as to avoid unnecessary direct entanglements with AFVs. The bow machine gun was for close defence against infantry - but there are several observation ports that can be used for close defence also. An odd looking thing, but surprisingly useful in 1939-40!

Rog :)

• Thanks 2

Glue, lots of it. Well, glue and cement really.

I've been looking for a good PVA glue and I heard good things about ZAP Formula 560

so I thought I'd give it a try.

I also bought some of the old Plastruct Plastic weld because I mistakenly thought

the big Andy's Sherman may have had some ABS parts....I'm sure I'll find a use for it.

Most importantly, I purchased seven bottles of Tamiya's  Extra thin Quick Setting after noticing that it was back ordered on a few sites. A panic purchase? Well, you might say....perhaps. Hobbylinc had it on sale at $ 3.84 for the quick setting. Have

you seen the ridiculous prices for this stuff on Amazon? Jeez!!

DSCN1102_kindlephoto-37047099.jpg

DSCN1101_kindlephoto-37084892.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Most importantly, I purchased seven bottles of Tamiya's  Extra thin Quick Setting after noticing that it was back ordered on a few sites. A panic purchase? Well, you might say....perhaps. Hobbylinc had it on sale at $ 3.84 for the quick setting.

I just did the same with Tamiya airbrush cleaner. It's gone up a bit but Great Hobbies has a flash sale and it's $8.49 a bottle CAD until tomorrow. Which is what, $5-6 USD? Basically almost all Tamiya is 15% off until then. 

PXL_20230428_165718834.thumb.jpg.46055490abe7aef2d19b592a94f7383e.jpg

• Like 7

16 hours ago, belugawhaleman said:

Glue, lots of it. Well, glue and cement really.

I've been looking for a good PVA glue and I heard good things about ZAP Formula 560

so I thought I'd give it a try.

I also bought some of the old Plastruct Plastic weld because I mistakenly thought

the big Andy's Sherman may have had some ABS parts....I'm sure I'll find a use for it.

Most importantly, I purchased seven bottles of Tamiya's  Extra thin Quick Setting after noticing that it was back ordered on a few sites. A panic purchase? Well, you might say....perhaps. Hobbylinc had it on sale at $ 3.84 for the quick setting. Have

you seen the ridiculous prices for this stuff on Amazon? Jeez!!

DSCN1102_kindlephoto-37047099.jpg

DSCN1101_kindlephoto-37084892.jpg

Tamiya airbrush cleaner is the same thing. I no longer buy the cement. 

• Like 4

Got a really good price on this one off Amazon.

DSCN3122-1.jpg

I was at Noreastcon in Albany on Saturday. I picked up a 1st (Tamiya A6M2) and a 3rd (Pfalz D.IIIa). They had a pretty good vendor area. I got this for a decent price.

DSCN3121-1.jpg

Dana Bell was there; I missed his talk, but I picked up one of his books in the raffle.

DSCN3123-1.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Got a really good price on this one off Amazon.

Nice catches Bill, I have the Göring Fokker as well, but I will build it in another livery. The Pfalz was my first WNW built and was absolutely enjoyable.
The Komet was a completely different experience. I wanted to build the 'Kraftei' closed up, but couldn't get all the fuselage parts aligned properly. Could have been my fault, but care has to be taken to get better results, I guess. Yesterday, I took the half finished 163 out of the box and considered to bin it or to make a semi crash landing dio out of it.

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

On 5/2/2023 at 7:39 PM, HubertB said:

Went to the Post Office to fetch a parcel arrived last week from Ukraine …

There were two boxes inside :piliot:

i-6ttQCH2-600x450.jpg

i-9SJjw4w-600x450.jpg

Hubert

I need to gather my energy to write a review of the Seahawk kit, but I can give you my first impression about this one, and it’s best summed-up with one word:

WOW !

The quality of the castings, of the detailing, of the engraving, is simply outstanding. We are in Fisher or Lukgraph territory here, gentlemen, no less.

And to think this is achieved whilst suffering Orcs’ bombings and power grid cuts makes my admiration even greater for what Andreyi has done.

When I see people on LSP equating the suffering of the Ukrainian people with the one of the Russian people, saying that not buying from a Russian company is « politics » (as if this is the same kind of politics as comparing two US Presidents), I am going to utter a very « political » statement here: just support Halberd Models. It’s not only a good citizen’s gesture, but even more one of the smartest modelling choices nowadays.

Hubert

• Like 7