The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

So the wife told me to get rid of 10 kits from the stash...

ScottsGT

Took quite a while for me to quit laughing at her.   But in a nutshell, we just cleaned out Moms apartment. She was a hoarder addicted to QVC/HSN and would buy multiples of things.  2 mixers, bulk packs of kitchen gadgets, etc.  
So when we started storing some things in the basement she took notice of my duplicate kits.  4 Tamiya J Phantoms, 3 Revell E’s, multiples of many, she panicked thinking I was just like Mom.  Had to explain my decal stash how they all get built differently.  
But she really lost it when she found my hidden stash around the corner where I keep my syfi and ship and sub kits.  
oops!  

• Like 6

• Administrators

I just reorganized mine.   I have more resin kits than plastic now, so resin and special stuff are in the closet of my build/gun room, and the plastic stuff goes off to the garage and barn, minus the decals, which are catalogued and filed.

I had to shake my head at some of what I have. It makes no sense.  1/16 King Tiger? Seriously? Where in heck will I put that when done.

1/200 Yorktown.  Another mystery kit.   The only 1/200 ship I REALLY want to build is the Mighty Hood, and she's there with her full Pontos set and Shapeways goodies.

Silliness abounds. I don’t build much Tamiya, yet there are more than a few here...

• Like 6

The big concern my wife has is where do the finished kits go? I'm currently planning on reorganizing the basement so I'll have space  for my finished builds which are currently spread out throughout the house. 

2 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

1/16 King Tiger? Seriously? Where in heck will I put that when done.

I think my youngest might be able to fit in it. He could ride it to school then. :D

• Like 4

My wife says the same things...................... BUT it could be worse................... I tell her that , ..... at least I'm home and not running all over in the bars chasing wild women and being a regular on Live PD..................... she had to concede.....................;)

• Like 6

My stash is about 25 kits total, and I've been selling off a bunch of old collectibles to make space and using the cash to finance my other hobbies this last year, so my wife has absolutely nothing to complain about financially. And considering that I almost never finish a model, display space is not really an issue, either. :)

The only problem I MIGHT admit to having is the collecting of bang-sticks, which is starting to be a storage space issue.  And then there is the old car project, etc.........

Tim

• Like 4

Quite often I'll buy a kit because it's new and cool. The upcoming RFM Pz. Mk.IVJ falls in that category. Outstanding box art too. I rarely build armor but that doesn't stop me from buying more. :)

I wonder how much box art influences us. In my case quite a bit.:D

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

I just reorganized mine.   I have more resin kits than plastic now, so resin and special stuff are in the closet of my build/gun room, and the plastic stuff goes off to the garage and barn, minus the decals, which are catalogued and filed.

I had to shake my head at some of what I have. It makes no sense.  1/16 King Tiger? Seriously? Where in heck will I put that when done.

1/200 Yorktown.  Another mystery kit.   The only 1/200 ship I REALLY want to build is the Mighty Hood, and she's there with her full Pontos set and Shapeways goodies.

Silliness abounds. I don’t build much Tamiya, yet there are more than a few here...

I have always wanted the 1/200 Yorktown, but that would be a very long term build.

• Like 4

I keep my stash trimmed down, and I only have two duplicates. I have a few versions of some aircraft, like the FW-190, P-51, and F-4, but all deferent versions. But I still have a lot, most were bought when I got into the hobby, I have stopped buying a lot lately since I am employment challenged, but I actually have been build more now. I only did 4 completions in 2018, 7 in 2019, and I am finishing up three this month. I hope to try to get at least one build done per month. 

But anyway, I keep good records of my stash, right now is at 218 +/- 2 or 3. 

22DAF8DA-FF90-492E-980F-705CD36AB249.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Took quite a while for me to quit laughing at her.   But in a nutshell, we just cleaned out Moms apartment. She was a hoarder addicted to QVC/HSN and would buy multiples of things.  2 mixers, bulk packs of kitchen gadgets, etc.  
So when we started storing some things in the basement she took notice of my duplicate kits.  4 Tamiya J Phantoms, 3 Revell E’s, multiples of many, she panicked thinking I was just like Mom.  Had to explain my decal stash how they all get built differently.  
But she really lost it when she found my hidden stash around the corner where I keep my syfi and ship and sub kits.  
oops!  

So, you’re not only hoarding kit boxes, but kit decals as well ;) ?

Me, I seldom have doubles (well, maybe 2 or 3, or 4, or ... ), but I have plenty of singles, enough to last me until they launch the Enterprise (the NCC-1701 version ) :wallbash:

Hubert

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

oops!  

:sofa:

Oh Dear !  :police:

:popo:

• Like 5

Well...  on my second wife and though she doesn't encourage stash growth, she's yet to actively oppose it or give me a dirty glare (or worse) because of it.  I complete about a dozen a year, so I'm four years ahead, I reckon.

My stash is around 55 with half aircraft, half armor, and a few warships... s'cuse me for going over two halves.  I don't have any duplicates.  I have more 109's than anything, but each is a different mark, or maker.  By nationality I have 1 meatball, 1 red star, 2 white stars, a lot of black crosses, and no bullseyes.  Make sense?  Hope so.

I do intend to build them all.

I would like to get a Klingon D-7 Battlecruiser built with lights someday.  I built one a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away (Camp Lejeune, North Carolina) but it had no lights, I had no airbrush, and I didn't know diddly about weathering.

Gaz

• Like 3

I'm very fortunate that my Wife understands and respects individual space within our relationship. I already had a lot of my stash when we got together, and my accumulation has slowed in the last few years while she has pursued her interest in her Aquarium. So we're both on the same page, even though they're different books.

I have quite a few multiple copies of Hasegawa '109 and '190 kits amongst others, but having duplicates isn't an issue for her. She has 4 Clownfish for example, all with different patterns but still the same species. I have plans for all of the kits, but to be honest if I ever get them all completed in my lifetime, I'll be very disappointed.

In the end they're just things, like clothes in the closet or books on a shelf.

• Like 3

My stash is roughly 125 kits, some with, some without aftermarket. I only purchase what I have an interest in, although I did have a larger stash at one time, but financial difficulties made me drop some of it. I have started to repurchase some of those. 

My other half encourages my hobby, and does not bat an eyelid to expensive kits. she encouraged me to get the Hellcat from Airfix for one. She is into paper-crafting so we have two stashes, hers and mine. I often like to quip: "We are married but have separate craft-rooms". Never get any guff, and never give guff, as long as the requirements of living are taken care of. And Tamiya Extra Thin...

• Like 4

On 1/13/2020 at 11:00 AM, Jeff said:

My wife says the same things...................... BUT it could be worse................... I tell her that , ..... at least I'm home and not running all over in the bars chasing wild women and being a regular on Live PD..................... she had to concede.....................;)

Well, since you put it that way.....I do live in Richland County.  :police:   If I ever get pulled, my line is going to be, 'Well Officer, you see, I was auditioning to be on an episode of Live PD!" 

Walked in to Publix one day picking up a few groceries and Officer Perez was there for a promotion.  She's a lot cuter in person than on TV.  And that's saying a lot, because she has quite a fan base. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

Well, since you put it that way.....I do live in Richland County.  :police:   If I ever get pulled, my line is going to be, 'Well Officer, you see, I was auditioning to be on an episode of Live PD!" 

Walked in to Publix one day picking up a few groceries and Officer Perez was there for a promotion.  She's a lot cuter in person than on TV.  And that's saying a lot, because she has quite a fan base. 

I LOVE Addy Perez, she can arrest me ANY time she wants...............she is SO cute on TV, and usually with Lt Danny Brown................ NOW, if you want to talk ARMS, I would not want to get into a pickle with Garro Brown !

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I would like to get a Klingon D-7 Battlecruiser built with lights someday.

Gaz

It's not even that pricey a kit compared to many, although you have the added fees I don't get in the U.S. Even though...do it.

I have the TOS Enterprise, and even though the D-7 is the Motion Picture version I am getting it and the light kit. If they could be convinced to do the TOS Romulan Warbird that would be awesome.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2020 at 3:00 AM, Jeff said:

Good suggestion, making the point that, one could be a serial philanderer chasing multiple girls in bars and clubs, or alternately one could be a serial collectors not going out frequenting bars but frequently chasing model kits from the shed / basement or garage.. I'll have to try that one.. but may need carefully re-wording.

• Like 4