The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Soo.... What did you just get???

Dave J

5 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

She finally has arrived!

MY PRECIOUS!

It's a really amazing kit (just very very slightly on the heavy side on some details like the underwings ribs - which were actually a lot thinner - but I say that just so that IBG feel they have to outdo themselves on the next kit ;) )

I just started mine yesterday thanks to the Covid-19 confinement freed time. Be also aware that the sprue gates, whilst they guarantee a good flow of plastic in the mold, are also on the heavy side. A very sharp blade is required to do the final cleaning of the sprue tabs letfovers.

This is how I found out that, among the fresh stock of surgical scalpel blades I had ordered not a long ago, one had a shape unsuited for the way I an usually holding my Swann-Morton handles :censored:. Well, the good thing about a brand new sharp scalpel blade is that the cut is neat and heals quickly :D

I will continue today. Somehow, I have to break the curse : I am dreading having to get the airbrush out !

Hubert

• Like 3

Hey all

Ive been waiting on this for 2 1/2 months!!! Well it finally came. Since its from China:nuke::nuke::icon_eek: it's been sitting in the garage for a week, just in case. I cracked it open and took a peak from initial glance it looks like a really nice kit. This will be displayed next to my 1/24 F6F-3 as dueling foes. I'm going through the instructions now just to get familiar with it. I'm not starting it yet, have to finish the Beaufighter first, then the Hellcat, then the Mosquito, etc., etc....:help::D;)

20200325_155700.jpglater dudes!

Ron G 

• Like 7

On 3/24/2020 at 10:52 AM, Wumm said:

Just look at you lot, buying up kits like there's no tomorrow...

Oh.

Well it seems better than toilet paper!! :rofl: ... Too many Zombie movies being watched I fear.

Rog :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I've heard good things about the Sherman kit John. I wouldn't mind getting their new Sherman Firefly.

Carl

It seems to me that RFM kits are really nice. I haven't heard of any real problems with them. They sure do have a lot of small fiddly bits though! ;)

• Like 4

So my latest acquisitions have not been models, but paint. I had been using Vallejo for brush painting details, but was not happy with the effort it took to airbrush them. I switched to Tamiya a few years ago for airbrushing, but was unhappy with them for brush painting. Then I had an opportunity to buy a small collection of USN and RLM (most) colors in the MRP range. I then decided that GSI/MR Color could be used for both brush and airbrushing. So I now have invested n about 30 bottles of MRP and about 15 of GSI so far. I really hate the smell of lacquer paint, but love the effect. I’ll probably still retain all my Vallejo for figures, and Tamiya for some weathering effects and armor. 

• Like 5

Paint...

Just a jar of Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green, for the ZM Ki-45. To my eyes it's the closest match to Japanese #29 Ki Midori Iro interior yellow-green colour. Their instructions suggestion is a little too brown for my liking.

IMG_20200328_122229.thumb.jpg.f809c58a01fe195fb9649a06a7c79b14.jpg

• Like 7

On 3/27/2020 at 4:57 AM, JohnB said:

Although I'm not primarily a armor builder I just had to get these two. No doubt they will build up to be outstanding models.

s-l1600.jpg

I would LOVE to see a comparo' done between RFM, Takom, Meng and Border kits ... I haven't bought any of the newer (post Dragon) stuff - except somewhere in the stash is a basic RFM Tiger I think?

Rog :)

• Like 7

11 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Picked up a couple books. 

IMG_20200327_232808.thumb.jpg.a9611464df162532f3b8740fc2e1b4cd.jpg

The one on Silver Stars is too late for my build but still worth reading. 

The Starfighter one will be handy for my CF-104D. 

Carl

Pat's books are EXCELLENT !!!

• Like 5

Four years ago, I sent the kit landing gear from the Z-M J7W1 Shinden to a friend in Texas. Yesterday, I got these back.

20200330-202359-1.jpg

Resin cast over metal rods, and they are beautifully done. The rod extends through the bend on the main gear, too. Not sure if they're for sale yet; I'll let anyone interested know when they are.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3