Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

what's on your to buy list for 2023 (newly released kits only)

npb748r

Sorry this is a list but not a wish list so forgive me. There are so many new 1/32 and 1/35 aircraft and helicopters being released I know I wont be able to "waste" the amount of money on them that my CFO will allow. I wondered what people were planning on buying this year. My list currently sits at, in order, the following however my more realistic and affordable list is the second one. I did look at the Devastator and I know there are lots of people who are desperate for this aircraft but....to my eyes visually it's got nothing going for it, it's a bit of a minger to me - sorry !

1. Ideal buys - HS123, C202, F-35B, Val, Ka-29, British Apache, Havoc, ACH-37A, revell meteor, CH54. 

2. what my pocket money will allow - HS123, C202, Val, Apache.

I thought it would be interesting to see what the top three buys are planned to be across the forum (and I know I've only focused on flying things, there will be equally large list of floating a land based new releases).

neil

• Like 5

"minger" .....🤣 That may also need an off shore translation !

I like the old Devastator and on that list is probably the only 1/32 I'd consider buying this year as I tend not to build many large planes because of the space they take up.  Something great  about those early yellow wing aircraft . Meteor maybe ....but don't think any Revell offering will live up to it's £125 price tag sadly . 

AK are bringing out a 1/35 SII Land Rover , might be tempted by that .

Gecko are doing a 1/35 Ram Kangaroo which could make for some interesting dios. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Ohh, that’s a dangerous game for me.  
Here it comes boys.  A long tall tale about myself…..

You see, I come from a family of hoarders.  When Mom passed my wife was my biggest asset to take the Bull by the horns and clear out the three storage units of her “treasures”.  Keep in mind that she was also there to move said garbage from her previous home to the storage units while she attended assisted living. 
Over the years I too have “collected” things I like.  I have a great 1/18 Diecast car collection set up in display cases.  Unfortunately, I have 4 or 5 moving boxes still packed with some more in need of display cases. (I’m working on an idea right now) 

Tools.  Oh man, I have a tool collection like none other. Auto mechanics tools, auto body tools, wood working tools that take up a lot of real estate, yard tools….see where this is going?  Now in my defense, I have used and will continue to use the majority of these tools until I can no longer physically do it.  When we moved I gave my son a LOT of my automotive stuff.  Bench grinder, engine hoist and stand, AC system tools, strut spring compressor, etc….and my biggest sacrifice other than my larger garage was my 60 gallon air compressor.  Most were part of my past life as an autobody repairman. A lot was purchased during the restoration of my ‘66 Mustang GT Fastback.  

And then there are models.  You see, the wife understands that when I’m pushing up daisies, the boys will be ready to start fighting over all the tools, maybe some of the Diecast collection, the gun collection, the Mustang has already been claimed by my son that’s an aspiring car builder. 
But the models.  My kids don’t give a hoot about models. And as my wife puts it, “You have over 300 models stashed in the basement and garage. I better not see another damned model show up at this house!  You’ll have to live to be 300 years old to build what you have now!”  
She’s right.  I hoard kits.  In the past if I saw a kit I liked, I’d order it and not think twice about it. That’s how I wound up with 12 Phantom kits and 15 F-16 kits, 3 C-5 kits, etc…
She doesn’t want to deal with them one day.  I’ve actually written down the contact info of places like Squadron and Hobby Nut that appear to buy out collections since they are selling pre-owned kits and decals.  I told her to call one of them up and just come pick up everything in a U Haul and send her a check for what they think it’s worth to them. Don’t care about the money, I just don’t want her hauling them to the county dumpsters at the end of our road.

So to keep the peace, I have to strategically sneak new kits into my life.  I have to study her work schedule very carefully and time my purchases so they’ll be delivered while she’s at work. I also do some deep soul searching and ask myself “Are you really going to build this or just look at it then toss it in the garage with the other kits?”  (In all honesty, I can drop several hundred on paint, supplies, aftermarket, decals, etc and she won’t bat an eye. Just no more kits) 

So here’s the moral of the story.   If I’ve ever pissed any of y’all off and you want to get even with me, just start sending me new models that have come out.  She would never believe people would just be randomly mailing me models. Yea, I’d be in some deep poo-poo if y’all did that to me. So what ever you do, don’t do that. Especially the new Devastator and Val. 

• Haha 12

For me at the moment, it looks to be a Honda F1 year. Meng have their 1/12 McLaren MP4/4 coming out while Beemax has a Lotus 99T also in 1/12. Although the latter has already been pushed back half a year. Turbo Honda engines and cigarette labels galore. 

I've been tempted by the new Apache kit but haven't been able to commit to it. I think the rotor span is the sticking point. Yes, you can build it folded but that wouldn't look right. Same goes for the CH-54. Maybe after I build my new display case this summer...

There's a  guy in Belgium who's doing a  1/32 Spitfire XIV conversion for the Tamiya kits. That I will get for sure once it's out. Maybe even more than one. I know @Martinnfb wants one too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

Beemax has a Lotus 99T also in 1/12.

I looked at that, then I remembered by inability to be able to turn yellow paint into anything other than a see though translucent multiple layered shelf of doom subject and quickly moved on ! 

• Like 6

You might not believe this, but I plan to buy ZERO new kits this year. I even went to a large model show last weekend and spent nothing but the entry fee. I'd like to say it's because I have the utmost self control, but it's really just because I have too many other hobbies (and those annoying other expenses) that are drawing my interest right now. The only things that tempt me a little are the Kotare Spit, some of the 1/16 armor stuff from Andy's, and that Pfalz DVIII kit that Aviattic is putting out, and the Pfalz kit is around 250USD on pre-order, so that's a big no from me!! 

T

• Like 7

1 hour ago, npb748r said:

I looked at that, then I remembered by inability to be able to turn yellow paint into anything other than a see though translucent multiple layered shelf of doom subject and quickly moved on ! 

Patience grasshopper!  
white primer base and lots of thin coats of yellow allowing plenty of flash time between coats.  It will look like crap until it doesn’t.  This one is Mr. Color lacquer. 

RpN4qp.jpg

0JLPPV.jpg

I’m remembering about 8 or 9 coats on this one. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I think I have already bought - if not yet received - all my « to-buy » kits of the year …

Still somewhere in the Great Logistics Chain is my TBD … Having waited 17 years, what are a few days more ;) ?

Of course, that assumes I won’t be « surprised » by some new resin kit 🤞

Hubert

• Like 5

I’m honestly looking forward to the Trumpeter F-35B this summer (fall probably).  Might have to send the wife away a few days to see her girl friends so I can get it in the stash.  

• Like 5

I plan to get a Halberd 1/32 or 1/48 SC-1 Seahawk, a MicroMir XB-51 in 1/72, and a Revell new mold 1/32 Hurricane. Maybe some others depending on what shows up.:)

I just ordered a Halberd 1/32 Cavalier Mustang conversion for the Tamiya kit. Looks really nice!

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 15-35-34 Cavalier F-51D Mustang _ Mustang Mk 2 conversion 1_32 set for Tamiya k.jpg

• Like 5

I don't plan to buy anything.   But my wife is gonna get a shock when she looks at my Christmas wishlist:

In no particular order...

1/32 Oeffag Alb

1/32 Val

1/32 HS 123

1/32 Mc 202

1/32 Flying Clog... B und V 139    hopefully not too far away....

1/35 Dragon Ostwind...   the last 1/35 panzer I'll ever need.  I have all of the rest barring prototypes and paper panzers.

Already have the ZM 190 on pre-order...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

For me, the only remaining 32nd scale kit I'm looking to purchase is the TBD Devastator.

I have been adding a number of 48th scale WWII subjects to the stash and will continue to do so, especially if I find them at a bargain price.

This years purchases so far:

ZM 109

ZM Skyraider

Tamiya 1/48 P-51B with Aires resin sets

Kotare Spifire

Takom AH-64E Apache

Revell Hurricane

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Bill_S said:

Nothing's on my radar at the moment, but that Val looks SO tempting!

Same here Bill except the Val just doesn’t push my buttons. If I could find a 1/48 HKM Lancaster on eBay or suchlike at a reasonable cost, maybe…………..

• Like 5

Well, normally I don't plan on future purchases, Mostly, I see a kit and if my mind starts to render images of the built kit, I'm sold. There are some temptations though. CSM's Bristol Scout, the still available WNW Felixstowe, Master Korabels 1/48 wooden 42 ft launch of Twelve Apostles, maybe the new tool 1/24 Mini Cooper from Hasegawa with some extras. I almost forgot, there is the 1/24 Spitfire from Airfix sending 'buy me' signals. You'll know it, when it's there ;).

Cheers Rob

• Like 5
  • Haha 1