The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

In the doldrums

Clunkmeister

• Administrators

So here I sit.  Becalmed.  Going nowhere. Drifting with the long, slow rollers, with no cloud in sight.

In the days of sail they’d man the boats and start pulling, hoping to go somewhere they’re not. 

Trying not to lose the Weather Eye, but I fear I’ve lost the urge for anything these days.

I’ve started several, am close-ish on the truck and Hurricane, but after putting a few bodies in the ground these last few weeks, I’ve just lost the edge.  I just want to cruise around in my pickup with The Guess Who playing at eardrum rattling levels.

I’m not used to losing it like this, but who knows.

• Like 5

You have just been going through a VERY difficult time lately, and that is an understatement. That this has an impact on your modelling mojo is quite understandable. But it will pass, as you slowly overcome the pain of the recent evnts.

One way to speed it up is to do something cathartic. Cruising along with loud music is one way. Or, as you have the taste for it and the opportunity, what about getting the guns out and venting off the frustration and anger (there must be some, even if you do not perceive it) by scaring the living hell of a target board, or of some rattlesnake ?

Or in modelling, do something without self-inflicted pressure. That does mean something you just want to build OOB, without worrying for detail or accuracy. So it's not an airplane, you don't want trucks and armor that remind you of the work. Is it the same for a car kit ? Last time I built a kit without any other pressure than assembling and painting it well, I did a motorbike that I gave to a friend when finished. He was elated, and it was a good kit: big enough details, "straight" painting without weathering, and I could not care less whether the kit was accurate or not to reproduce the 1:1 prototype ;) (I did not even look on the net for a picture of the said bike).

Take care, my friend. We are with you.

Hubert

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm very sad to hear that from you Ernie and believe me, I know from own experience how it felt when there is seemingly no wind in the sails. There are just times, where real live takes over, and if it does in a very concentrated and sinister way, it's easy to get melancholic or even depressed. All the things which haunt the mind tend to accumulate to an unbearable status in these times, with no more aim or purpose to be found.
The good thing though is, that doldrums are temporally and there will be a fresh breeze on the horizon soon. If you have been in situations like this before, it is a good thing to just know, that they are not indefinite and if it has never been that bad, I hope you get the spiriting thought from others who have been there.
When I had these phases years ago I tried to enjoy the situation, seeing the good thing about isolating myself a little bit more than usual from the outer world. Sometimes, I even started to enjoy the melancholy.
Like Hubert said, it might be good to let go off some steam, if there is and most importantly look for yourself and what is good for you. To have some time to lull over the own situation may help a lot and sooner or later there will be a change, maybe conclusions. Like my wife use to say, leave it, love it or change it.
When I felt really bad some years ago, I turned to modelling, which helped me to refocus, because of the high grade of concentration involved. That calmed my ever wandering and unfocused thoughts to get straight again. In fact, I changed my whole live afterwards and am as happy as can be now.

Cheers (literally) Rob

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ernie, I feel your pain.

Let loose your worries. Free your mind and your spirit, and lay yourself bare to the whims of Mother Nature. Revel in her indifference. We are but the scurvy crew on her ship of fools. Fair winds will follow, just reward for only the most patient among us. Remember, no man is an Island.

IMG20190923054138.thumb.jpg.06bd0ccb7aa818f212e2b1d7a8469363.jpg

Except the Isle of Man, of course.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Ernie, there's some good advice there. I really can't add anything to it. 

I'm going to be away from the bench for a while myself but for different reasons. It'll be there when I get back and the same goes for you. Only yours is much better than mine.

In the meantime, we're here if you need us. 

Carl

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ernie, I am so sorry to hear your where you are at this moment. Perhaps taking a trip far far away would help. As someone said you have to feel obliged to model. If it takes just watching and listening to us lunatics do be it. The breeze will return........be well my friend.......

• Like 4

When my wife of 31 years passed over a decade ago I was in a fog for most of a year. I initially thought modeling would help but I found I couldn't focus and started numerous builds without any joy. It wasn't until almost a year later when I began to get my social life back on track than I found some solace in modeling. My wife and her two siblings all died withing a period of a year and a half and that's way too many funerals in a short period of time. Everyone deals with grief differently and forcing yourself to do something your heart isn't into is not the way. I hope you find your way out !

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ernie.................... Like Carl, I can't add much that hasn't already been said by the other guys............... just know, we are here for you, if you need to chat or or let loose, you know where we are....... do what ever makes you feel good, give Joy some extra hugs, and talk to her............. she of all of us understands...... do something different together if you can and want to..... go into the mountains for a few days and camp out or something on your list of cool things you never had time for before.......  just know we love ya man and we are here...... when ever you want us.

Jeff

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Times like this require...time

you have a ton of “stuff” to process.

Grief. Anger. Ennui. Loss.

it takes time, my friend.  Stay close to the people you have.  Talk - don’t hold things in.  Listen - those around you may also need an ear and a shoulder.  Lean in with each other

and you’ll emerge - there will be a point where you can again turn to the things you enjoy with anticipation rather than “what’s the point” indifference 

it will come.

meanwhile, hang here - we are a community and we’re here to listen and to care

• Like 6

Hi mate. The above is pretty good and I can't add anything. You just survived a tragedy. An event of enormous proportians. You are not obligated to do anything. Modeling is just modeling. We aren't at the UN trying to prevent a war.

Time is important because it wounds all heals and heals all wounds.

You aren't alone mate. We're all here. No worries. :thumbsup2:

• Like 3

So sorry to hear of your pain Ernie.

Plenty of support for you a lot nearer to home than me but I wish you well , time is a great healer they say.

Try and stay positive, I used to say to my children, just think ' PMA'  Positive Mental Attitude' it does so help . . . .

Ian

• Like 2

Hi Gus.... thank you.

hope you guys are doing well and Ernie will soon be right as rain!

:)

I have been busy and have been travelling for 2 months in Italy and Sicily and Austria.. Climbing ETNA and  VESUVIUS  volcanoes  and highest glacier Glosslockner in Austria  all of  which was great.

:wub:

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MARU 5137 said:

Hi Gus.... thank you.

hope you guys are doing well and Ernie will soon be right as rain!

:)

I have been busy and have been travelling for 2 months in Italy and Sicily and Austria.. Climbing ETNA and  VESUVIUS  volcanoes  and highest glacier Glosslockner in Austria  all of  which was great.

:wub:

So it was YOU that triggered the last outburst of the Etna :lol: ! Now we know who to blame :popo: !

Hubert

• Like 2